Colombo: Thai P M Urges Countries To Join Forces To Protect People's Rights, Freedom

webfact

Thai PM urges countries to join forces to protect people's rights, freedom
By Digital Media

13700708169536.jpg

COLOMBO, June 1 -- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told Sri Lanka's parliament on Friday that democratic countries should join forces in protecting people's rights and freedom.

Ms Yingluck, in Colombo on a two-day visit, made a short speech to the Sri Lankan parliament, emphasizing the strong relations between the two countries.

She told legislators at the parliament that Thailand and Sri Lanka enjoy a 57 year old partnership with many centuries of religious ties before that. The two nations must work together to ensure that both countries can gain the highest benefits from this enduring friendship.

Ms Yingluck added both Thailand and Sri Lanka deeply value democracy, which "is not an internal affair" of any one country.

Democracy was one of the best systems to protect the rights and freedom of people and society as a whole. Therefore, she said, every democratic countries worldwide should cooperate in protecting and taking care of people.

The Thai prime minister also touched on the 260th anniversary of the Siam Wong Nikaya, a prominent Thai-Buddhist sect in Sri Lanka.

She also visited Kandy, the country's hill capital 115 kilometers northeast of Colombo where the chief monks of the Siamese sects of Sri Lanka's Buddhist clergy reside.

Ms Yingluck followed in the footsteps of her brother in addressing the Sri Lankan parliament.

Then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra addressed parliament in 2003 on a visit to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the Siam Wong Nikaya sect.

Ms Yingluck on Saturday departed for the Maldives for an official visit at the invitation of Maldivian President Mohammed Waheed.

This would be the first official visit of a Thai premier to the Maldives since the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries 34 years ago. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-2013-06-01

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told Sri Lanka's parliament on Friday that democratic countries should join forces in protecting people's rights and freedom.

Pity Thailand will not be invited to be a member of that "club" of democratic countries......

the esteemed PM really is clueless, of course she is just repeating what her brother told her....and of course we know brother #1's opinion of democar

Rights and freedom! Wow! Being your brother's puppet, you do mean the rights and freedoms of the Reds only right? To Hell with everyone else!

What a hypocrite. Pui! bah.gif

If it wasn't so serious it would be funny but she's deadly serious and it helps when you don't actually know what you're saying.

One would have to be rather cautious in what the Good Prime Minister has said in Colombo, on the one hand we have the PTP continually trying to circumvent the independence of the courts, trying to mussel all opposition , harassing the leaders of the Democrat opposition with court appearances on trumped up charges and demeaning anyone who questions their judgement, then on the other hand trying hard to re - write Thai history in Mongolia and now this feel good spiel on Democracy in Colombo , unfortunately the only part of the word democracy that the PTP know is that it starts with the letter "D." the P.M.is playing a two faced game , one for them and one for Thailand, two faced people should be avoided.bah.gif

Freedom... YAY !!!

Does this mean westerners finally get rights... land... work opportunities... residency... no more visa runs/visits to the imm. office (much like prisoners on parole)... The right to voice opinion... the right to vote... the right to a fair trial in court against a Thai ....

WOW.. I am so happy that HUMAN RIGHTS IS ON THE AGENDA...

What your prattling on about has nothing to do with human rights....name country in the world who extends these "human rights" to a non-citizen of that country, with the exception of "land ownership" of course

The constitution of the Netherlands has no preamble and just starts with

Article 1 [Equality]

All persons in the Netherlands shall be treated equally in equal circumstances. Discrimination on the grounds of religion, belief, political opinion, race, or sex or on any other grounds whatsoever shall not be permitted.

Edited by rubl

Freedom... YAY !!!

Does this mean westerners finally get rights... land... work opportunities... residency... no more visa runs/visits to the imm. office (much like prisoners on parole)... The right to voice opinion... the right to vote... the right to a fair trial in court against a Thai ....

What your prattling on about has nothing to do with human rights....name country in the world who extends these "human rights" to a non-citizen of that country, with the exception of "land ownership" of course

Article 1 [Equality]

All persons in the Netherlands shall be treated equally in equal circumstances. Discrimination on the grounds of religion, belief, political opinion, race, or sex or on any other grounds whatsoever shall not be permitted.

Didn't you just lecture me about staying on topic? I'm sure the constitution of the Netherlands is fascinating to you as an honorary Thai, but on topic?

And Oh, the irony of your post above (presumably a cliche dig at Yingluck), remember writing this,

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Well I see in the photo she is in exactly the right setting, but she should be stood up facing the Judge.

It's an odd picture that. Looks as if the judge is dressing down a contrite Yingluck. Reminds me a bit of that old Chineses proverb,

"Naughty girl who sit on judge's knee get honourable discharge."

• Like 1

Freedom... YAY !!!

Article 1 [Equality]

Didn't you just lecture me about staying on topic? I'm sure the constitution of the Netherlands is fascinating to you as an honorary Thai, but on topic?

And Oh, the irony of your post above (presumably a cliche dig at Yingluck), remember writing this,

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Why pick on me, mi amore?

Apart from just answering the question of another member, the topic is on protecting people's rights and freedom. Surely constitutions of more established democracies can be used as example on how such protection may be achieved? Don't tell me you don't like a constitution which start with 'all people shall be treated equally'?ermm.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Ironically, Thailand claims a distinct lack of skilled labour, yet there is absolutely zero mention of attracting expats/farangs to Thailand.

The only mention is minimum wage labour. No mention of changing or modifying investment laws. Not even on the table as to how to keep Thailand moving forward.

Depends what you mean by skilled labour....the expats/farangs they need are already here for the most part and to bring this back into line with the "human rights" topic "thhMan" was on about...most of these expats would be ina position to apply for PR anyway if they chose to do so

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told Sri Lanka's parliament on Friday that democratic countries should join forces in protecting people's rights and freedom.

I know a nice place for her to practice and implement her proposal: LOS!

• Like 1

Maybe she should do that speech today in Male` - Maldives where it is illegal not to be a practicing Muslim, I am sure the current dictatorship there will love to hear it coming from a woman. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif Maybe she will research how to eliminate foreign investment like the Maldivians seem to be achieving very well. giggle.gif

A 15-year-old rape victim has been sentenced to 100 lashes for engaging in premarital sex, court officials said.

The charges against the girl were brought against her last year after police investigated accusations that her stepfather had raped her and killed their baby. He is still to face trial.

March 2013

Richard Branson hits at Maldives over rape lashings Click Here

Maldives girl to get 100 lashes for pre-marital sex BBC News

Maldives rape victim sentenced to 100 lashings for premarital sex : Global Post

Alleged Maldives rape victim, 15, to get 100 lashes for having premarital sex :Fox News

Edited by Chao Lao Beach
  • Like 1

Ironic that yingluck makes this speech in a country that has absolutely no respect for the human rights of the Tamils who are still being disappeared, having their land stolen and kept in prison camps, a govt that has a religiously bigoted approach to Hindus, Muslims and Christians. A govt that is as repressive as any in the region and tolerates no dissent.

• Like 2