Aggression

Is it just me,or have other Old Hands here, { 20 odd Years } noticed that its become a more Cavalier driving style since Hi Rider Truck and Wannabe Range Rovers appeared on the scene,?. When i first came here there were just B.M. and Benz big heads. Now its anyone in a Hi RideTruck, intimidating Mr Average in an Average Car.

Couple of days ago on the way back from work a guy in a new ranger kept flashing his lights to push my out of the way. Would be acceptable (kinda) if it wasn't that we were stuck on Srinakarin road and not going anywhere. Imo it seems BM and Benz drivers are getting more sensible :)

• Like 2

Benz drivers are not stopped by BIB, BMW similar but not exactly the same, so they own the road and will only cede ownership to Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc. Then we have assorted other Hiso? cars (range rover, etc etc). Followed by wannabe Hiso Honda upper mark and Camry's, if I see an Accord or Camry in the rear view mirror I get out of the way as they are dangerously pushy. Next the average crazy Thai driver driving any form of sedan, SUV or a tricked up pickup. Last but not least Somchai in his Isuzu pickup who's driving skills were honed bringing the buffalos home as a kid.

They all have the ability to kill you and seem to revel in the reincarnation theory and the Thai theory of me first.

Covered it, or missed a few?

Cheers

• Like 1

If ever you get really bored and stuck for something different to do, get in the car and go find a pickup driver who's driving badly (not too difficult) and lay on the horn at him, then you'll see aggression. I did just this last week as Somchai behaved badly and turned in front of me without signalling, his response was to do a U turn and come speeding after me with lights flashing. As he approached my rear he swung out and sped past me with his hand on his horn and then turned off down a sidestreet - I carried on as per normal throughout.

One has to wonder at what goes on inside the head of such people, not much one suspects, to have pulled a U turn and come racng after his foe, only to sound his horn in reprisal and then to go on his way. Clearly, where ever he was going to was not that important in the first place or, perhaps he too was just bored.

If ever you get really bored and stuck for something different to do, get in the car and go find a pickup driver who's driving badly (not too difficult) and lay on the horn at him, then you'll see aggression. I did just this last week as Somchai behaved badly and turned in front of me without signalling, his response was to do a U turn and come speeding after me with lights flashing. As he approached my rear he swung out and sped past me with his hand on his horn and then turned off down a sidestreet - I carried on as per normal throughout.

One has to wonder at what goes on inside the head of such people, not much one suspects, to have pulled a U turn and come racng after his foe, only to sound his horn in reprisal and then to go on his way. Clearly, where ever he was going to was not that important in the first place or, perhaps he too was just bored.

Just Thai!

Couple of days ago on the way back from work a guy in a new ranger kept flashing his lights to push my out of the way. Would be acceptable (kinda) if it wasn't that we were stuck on Srinakarin road and not going anywhere. Imo it seems BM and Benz drivers are getting more sensible smile.png

Maybe he was bored & going through the owners manual wink.png

I've been driving in Bangkok around 7 years now, I drive defensively and haven't experienced much aggression or increase/decrease. It's motorbikes that really scare me.
In 7 years, the scariest driving I've ever witnessed was actually just a few days ago. I'm only in a small Honda City and saw a BMW approach in the rear-view mirror. I honestly thought it was going to rear-end me. When it passed I could see it was a new 5-series and the driver was just manically accelerating up to and then braking around all the other cars which looked so odd as all the traffic was just going at a normal speed. I'd probably drive the same way if I could afford one!

Just Thai!

Probably didn't realise he'd left his gun at home, so gave you a honk instead.

• Like 1

Couple of days ago on the way back from work a guy in a new ranger kept flashing his lights to push my out of the way. Would be acceptable (kinda) if it wasn't that we were stuck on Srinakarin road and not going anywhere. Imo it seems BM and Benz drivers are getting more sensible smile.png

Maybe he was bored & going through the owners manual wink.png

Maybe :)

Car makers should stop advertising their cars with silly "safety" features! VSC, EBD, ABS...People will start believing that taking a bend at 100 km/h in an SUV is ok :)

Car makers should stop advertising their cars with silly "safety" features! VSC, EBD, ABS...People will start believing that taking a bend at 100 km/h in an SUV is ok smile.png

How True.We get more now turning over since these badges appeared.sad.png

Just Thai!
It's to be expected - the majority of the population has an IQ less than 80, and even less commonsense. Combine that with Thai bottled up range and you have an explosive mix. Avoid aggravating Thais at all costs, unless you know who you are dealing with.

Just Thai!
It's to be expected - the majority of the population has an IQ less than 80, and even less commonsense. Combine that with Thai bottled up range and you have an explosive mix. Avoid aggravating Thais at all costs, unless you know who you are dealing with.

Factually the average IQ is 98.5:

"Extensive nationwide IQ tests were carried out in December 2010 to January 2011 on 72,780 Thai students. The average IQ was found to be at 98.59, which is higher than previous studies have found. The IQ levels are not consistent throughout the country though, with the lowest average of 88.07 found in the southern region of Narathiwat and the highest average of 108.91 reported in Nonthaburi province. The Thai Ministry of Public Health blames the discrepancies on iodine deficiency and steps are being taken to require that iodine be added to table salt, a practice common in many Western countries.[54]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand

Car makers should stop advertising their cars with silly "safety" features! VSC, EBD, ABS...People will start believing that taking a bend at 100 km/h in an SUV is ok smile.png

My Thai colleague said his car braking distance is so much shorter thanks to Toyota's ABS... and that's why we get so many front-end crashes :)

My Thai colleague said his car braking distance is so much shorter thanks to Toyota's ABS... and that's why we get so many front-end crashes smile.png

He's probably correct, before when he used to brake he'd lock his wheels and skid the last fifty feet or so, ABS has eliminated the skid. :)

Just Thai!
Factually the average IQ is 98.5:

"Extensive nationwide IQ tests were carried out in December 2010 to January 2011 on 72,780 Thai students. The average IQ was found to be at 98.59, which is higher than previous studies have found. The IQ levels are not consistent throughout the country though, with the lowest average of 88.07 found in the southern region of Narathiwat and the highest average of 108.91 reported in Nonthaburi province. The Thai Ministry of Public Health blames the discrepancies on iodine deficiency and steps are being taken to require that iodine be added to table salt, a practice common in many Western countries.[54]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand

Yes but I believe that we are not dealing with a normal (bell) curve, so we can't say that 50% is above and 50% is below the average. A few high scores (the educated, middle class) and many low scores give a positive skew, artificially elevating the mean. Would rather know what the median IQ was, rather than the mean. As it is, driver education, commonsense (and a lack of sense of slef-preservation), probably have more to do with their driving habits.

Interesting that the US has the same average IQ as Thailand (98). Nonthaburi's 108 is higher than the average for Hong Kong (107).

Edited by culicine

My Thai colleague said his car braking distance is so much shorter thanks to Toyota's ABS... and that's why we get so many front-end crashes smile.png
He's probably correct, before when he used to brake he'd lock his wheels and skid the last fifty feet or so, ABS has eliminated the skid. smile.png
There are some nice videos on youtube regarding abs. skidding without abs gives the longest stopping distances. If you can stop a car without activating abs, the distance is shortest; activating abs will give a slightly longer distance.

Culicine:

Two things before I go for breakfast:

1 - why do you think it's not a normal bell curve, I'll be amazed if it's not?

2 - Does IQ really have that much bearing on road safety/competence?

Discuss :)

Realistically the Ministry for Public Health believes the higher scoring students paid for the answers to the IQ test. They are now actively researching how to A/ Get on the gravy train and B/ How to expand this to nationwide to increase the takegiggle.gif

Cheers

I seen many cars/trucks on red plates going like they had a seriously injured person inside

and need to go to hospital asap.

They don't have a clue regarding the limitations of their vehicle and it often ends in tragedy.

Try watch YouTube car crash compilations from Russia, sad and funny at the same time.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think it matters what ride they have for numnut stuff on the road. In fact I worry more about Ma & Pa in a beat up old Nissan, no brakes, no suspension, bald tyres, no MOT, no insurance and the driver has probably never been to an opticians in his life, thats why his nose is stuck to the wind screen. w00t.gif

Personally I don't think it matters what ride they have for numnut stuff on the road. In fact I worry more about Ma & Pa in a beat up old Nissan, no brakes, no suspension, bald tyres, no MOT, no insurance and the driver has probably never been to an opticians in his life, thats why his nose is stuck to the wind screen. w00t.gif

Nearly all New Stuff these days,except in Little Lao enclaves.

Or their nationwide IQ test was conducted at private school smile.png

Well, it was conducted with students, so one would expect the average to be (considerably) lower.

Your presumption that students are more intellegent than the rest of the population has no basis in fact, except in the minds of some students - but I'm always happy to be proven wrong, if you can provide links from credible .sources.

Or their nationwide IQ test was conducted at private school smile.png

Well, it was conducted with students, so one would expect the average to be (considerably) lower.

Your presumption that students are more intellegent than the rest of the population has no basis in fact, except in the minds of some students - but I'm always happy to be proven wrong, if you can provide links from credible .sources.

Id say the Thai Students are 100% Brighter than the Idiot Ferang Teacers we all try to avoid here.cheesy.gif .

• Like 1