Google To Sell 2Nd-Gen Nexus 7 Tablet July? Is This Good For Thailand Use?

OldChinaHam

Hi,

I am looking for a relatively cheap android machine such as the Nexus 7, and I just read an April Reuters' article stating Google will sell a low cost improved version this July. Article here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-google-nexus-idUSBRE93205L20130403

I am a complete idiot regarding hand-held mobile devices, including smart phones. I have never seen an I-pad up close.

But I need something to use in Thailand to carry ebooks, text books, flash cards, audio files, maps, and the like.

I do not want to pay much because I do not want to feel too sorry when I lose it, or someday find it stolen or grabbed out of my hands.

I have seen some reports that the next Nexus 7 may sell for about USD150, but have no idea if this is true.

Also, I am wondering if Google Play will work with Nexus 7 in Thailand, because I will need some of the apps Google offers.

I do not want to wait until July if I do not need to, but I will wait if this is the only way to get a good price on a better machine.

Just to prove my stupidity here, I do not even know whether or not this thing, the Nexus 7, is suitable for making phone calls in Thailand (or anywhere).

Normally I do not like computing and walking at the same time, but this time I think I need to be able to load some apps which will give me some good flashcard software for language study, and textbook reader functionality, when I am not at my desk sitting before my computer.

Plus my existing phone now is terrible.

I need a screen about the same size as the Nexus 7.

So before I buy, any thoughts on the new upcoming Nexus 7, and any thoughts on the existing Nexus 7?

Would this machine meet the needs I have as described above?

Thank you.

"Nexus 7 2: Is Google Planning to Announce next-gen Tab At Computex 2013?"

Gizbot article here:

http://www.gizbot.com/tablet-pc-laptop/google-nexus-7-next-gen-2-tab-computex-2013-news-012363.html

June 4 to June 8, Tech Show in Taipei.

But what about availability in Thailand? And When?

And what software and apps will it run?

And connectivity in Thailand?

The Nexus isn't a phone. It's a tablet with wi-fi. It will work with Google Play. A word of advice - if you wait for the next great cheap piece of technology to appear then you'l wait forever. The trick is to buy something then ignore all adverts and price lists for the next 6 months.

Thanks. You can see that I was correct when I stated I know zilch about the Nexus 7. i had thought that if i installed Google voice app, it will allow me to use it like a cell phone, and I further thought that one of the I-pads also allowed users to make and rcv calls. So being able to make and receive calls on a Nexus 7 is not possible, even with any available added software? I usually make and receive about 0.5 phone calls per day, when not at my desk.

The other features, such as being able to read ebooks, maps, flash cards, use Google Play apps, etc, are most important, and if I can also be able to once in a while make a phone call if I find some WiFi, (or some other way?), this would be adequate, and then I will not need to carry a cell phone in addition to the Nexus 7.

Thanks.

I wonder if I could not just use Skype? Or is WiFi impossible to find most places even if one has an account with a major provider? Sorry, I still know zilch about the logistics of calling in Thailand, from CM within the city too.

It's not a phone. It has wifi. If you want to use Skype you will need to be in a place that has wifi that you can get access to. If you want to make phone calls you need a phone. The Nexus 7 is a small computer without a physical keyboard.

It's not a phone. It has wifi. If you want to use Skype you will need to be in a place that has wifi that you can get access to. If you want to make phone calls you need a phone. The Nexus 7 is a small computer without a physical keyboard.

In CM. or BKK, will it be difficult to find WiFi coverage, hot spots, to use Skype to then make calls to landlines and mobiles? I do not care about the cost of each phone call, that much. Skype rates to local numbers, domestic calling, are not too bad.

But if I can't even use Skype in most places in CM or BKK, then this is not a huge drawback because I rarely make phone calls from a mobile number anyway, the call sound quality is just too poor unless I am on a very clear network, I think AIS has what they call "clear call", but do not offer it in most places. So phoning/Skyping was never a major reason for getting something like the Nexus.

Edited by OldChinaHam

I suspect the new N7/16 GB/WiFi only would have a MSRP of $199. Google sells these direct in the U.S. and through Staples and Best Buy, among other local retail outlets.

Asus, the manufacturer, did localize the N7 for Thailand, and the local MSRP for the same WiFi-only version was 9,900 THB.

There are WiFi-only versions and WiFi + 3G versions of the N7. Either/both would work here fine.

The original N7 with 3G did not support GSM voice calls, as it did not have a native dialer app. I think this could be hacked. It is easy to imagine that the new N7 with 3G will support GSM voice calls, as other 3G tablets now do, but that remains to be seen.

Assuming a July launch, with say August/September availability in the Play Store then Asus Thailand might have a product here by November?

Some of the locally available value tablets might suit the OP's requirements better? There have been a ton of posts/threads on these tablets, which seem to go for 6,000 baht or less. Many report very positive experiences.
  • Like 1

Hey China Ham - you cannot use N7 as a phone. Perhaps a later model with SIM coming up but doubtful.

Skype, etc...Line, Naver...Chatting, messaging...

I love my Nex7 first gen.

Best thing about Google devices, fast update/upgrade path. Samsung - lost in the weeds. Kies, I mean <deleted> really.

• Like 1

I am not into tablets at all. But what you need to do is search for a 3G tablet. That would be a tablet that takes a SIM card. Then it can also function as a phone.

Do a search on amazon for '3G tablet'. You should get lots of hits, but read carefully the details as some will not take a SIM internally, but are '3G ready', meaning you would use a 3G dongle.

• Like 1

I suspect the new N7/16 GB/WiFi only would have a MSRP of $199. Google sells these direct in the U.S. and through Staples and Best Buy, among other local retail outlets.
Asus, the manufacturer, did localize the N7 for Thailand, and the local MSRP for the same WiFi-only version was 9,900 THB.
There are WiFi-only versions and WiFi + 3G versions of the N7. Either/both would work here fine.
The original N7 with 3G did not support GSM voice calls, as it did not have a native dialer app. I think this could be hacked. It is easy to imagine that the new N7 with 3G will support GSM voice calls, as other 3G tablets now do, but that remains to be seen.
Assuming a July launch, with say August/September availability in the Play Store then Asus Thailand might have a product here by November?
Some of the locally available value tablets might suit the OP's requirements better? There have been a ton of posts/threads on these tablets, which seem to go for 6,000 baht or less. Many report very positive experiences.

Thank you. Correct I do not want to wait until July, and cannot wait until November, as you mention. You say there have been many posts on these tablets, but I am not sure which ones would be as good or better than Nexus 7. Is it possible for you to list a couple of the better links here?

Also, I have a friend who works at Asus, might he be able to send my a machine and have it work with GSM calls here? Or, is there some technical compatibility reason why that Nexus 7 might not work here in Thailand? Normally, I have found that Taiwan gets new computer tech things very quickly, and faster than some places.

To sum up once more what I stated above, I will wait for July if I get a better Nexus 7 than the one now available.

But there is no point in waiting if something better is now already in Thailand for the same price or cheaper.

(And if I have a Nexus 7, old or new model, sent from Taipei, will it work in Thailand where I will be using it?

Thanks.

I have read some about the Nexus 7, and it seems like a pretty nice cheap machine, but I have never used one of any type.

Just get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi+3g

Works as a telephone and does everything else.

Why search for a difficult to find import when a major name already markets a decent model in Thailand

There is NO reason, and thank you for the suggestion.

I stated above I will be happy to choose something else if I can find something as good or better AND at approximately the same price as the Nexus 7 which may be selling for USD200 or even less (but who knows of course)

So I will try to find a price for the Samsung you suggest

And thank you!

• Like 1

A quick review on XDA seems to indicate that no one has come up with a MOD for the N7/3G to enable standard voice (GSM) calls.

Note that any N7/3G will work fine here, on WiFi or on 3G, but it cannot function as a standard GSM telephone.

There is a simple, straight-forward MOD to enable standard SMS origination capabilities. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1998702

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638487-are-cheap-tablet-pcs-worth-it/?view=findpost&p=6423403&hl=%2Btablets

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592098-choosing-a-tablet/?view=findpost&p=6331709&hl=%2Btablets

But what you need to do is search for a 3G tablet. That would be a tablet that takes a SIM card. Then it can also function as a phone.

Not exactly. Most first-gen 3G tablets do not have native dialer apps - some can be hacked/modded: I modded a Tab 10.1/3G for GSM calling. Some, not all, 2nd and 3rd gen 3G tablets do have native dialer apps, and can function as standard GSM phones, for voice and SMS, and USSD.

Not sure what Google/Asus might do on the new N7? As Google primarily sell product in the U.S. they may not want to go through the additional required FCC approvals, and alienate service providers?

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Well, I dont think OCH given by his questions gonna be rooting and modding much but highly advised if buying Samsung crap. And the interface is nothing but crap.

Root the tablet, lose the warranty.

Thank you, again to AOA for Samsung suggestion. The particular model suggested was about USD300 after discount on Amazon. From my experiences with things to be lost going through customs, airports and hotels, I prefer something that will do the job at a lower price, if possible. This is why the Nexus 7 seemed like such a good fit. Maybe there will be more news coming out of Taipei about the Nexus 7 during the Expo computer show there, which is huge, but I am also very happy to buy something else which is as good if available in Thailand now. Again, I just need to store-read ebooks, maps, audio files, flashcard apps, and make my occasional phone call once every two days or so. I am not interested in spending time on a phone but prefer email text instead. I just want an "opensource" platform which is not Apple. I might consider a refurbished device if I thought I could get 12 months out of it.

Tks, thaicbr for the link to the Asus Fonepad. I did read through it. And I noticed that the writer at C/net has this to say about the Asus product:

"If you only have £180 and really can't decide if you want a phone or a tablet, it's worth a look. If you just want a tablet though, go for the Nexus 7. It has a more powerful processor and you can always tether it through your existing phone contract if you need Internet out and about."

The more I read about the Nexus 7, the more suitable it seems. Maybe a refurbished model might suffice if I really need to wait until November or the Nexus II. I also saw these shown in C/net when I searched your article.

Is a first-generation (current) Nexus 7 a possibility?

They may be hard to find here in Thailand but maybe if you look around a bit you can find one?

http://www.shopat7.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=cat_show_pro_detail&pid=241666&pstatus=normal&Quantity=1&stock_soldout=false&x=49&y=19

Root the tablet, lose the warranty.

Devices can be easily un-rooted if warranty issues arise. The first thing I did on my Google Nexus 4 was un-lock the bootloader, the second thing I did was root it. I couldn't imagine not rooting a device - it enables so many applications - but agree it is not for everyone.

On all the Samsung devices I have, or have had - SGS1, SGS2, SGS3, Tab 10.1 - , all were rooted and running stock Android (Nexus/4.2.x) ROMs, or other slick custom ROMs.

Edited by lomatopo

N7/16 GB/Wifi at Powerbuy: 8,200

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetail.aspx?CategoryID=24&Brand=000671&Price=0&itemNo=PWB000198740

Clicking on store availability shows Central World and Central Rama 9, YMMV.

PB also has the N7/32 GB/3G for 10.900

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetail.aspx?CategoryID=24&Brand=000671&Price=0&itemNo=PWB000200893

Central World, MBK, Lad Prao stores show availability.

I really don't understand why it is soo difficult to get Google products in Asia. We can find Apple stores everywhere with latest iPad etc. including in most Lotus and BigC and Tukcom and most shopping malls, but when it comes to any Google product like the Nexus 10, Nexus 7 or Nexus 4, it's literally impossible to find, and when you finally find it then it's priced at 200% of the U.S. price! and only months after it was first available in the US... ..while for Apple, when they release a new iPhone, it's available everywhere weeks after the launch date! but for the Nexus 7, one year after the launch date it's still difficult to get! Not to mention the Google "Play Store" which is half unavailable in Asia...

Anyway, regarding the tablet itself, unless you intend to use it at home only, then I would avoid the Wifi-only version. In Thailand it's better to have the 3G model so you can have some kind of internet whenever you go out.

Unlike what have been said above, I did not see the Nexus 7 in Tesco Lotus. The Asus tablet that looks like a Nexus 7 sold in Lotus is not a Nexus 7, it is an Asus Fonepad, which is about 1000% less powerful according to the cnet review. So be careful not to be scammed! Look for the exact reference "NEXUS7", it must have the "nexus" logo on the back of the device.

Another thing, Skype or other VoIP software is great when you have a reliable internet connection, however is not really usable via 3G connection so it is not a replacement for standard GSM calls.

I did see the Nexus 7 in BigC Extra (Pattaya). I remember asking one of the employees working at the tablets stand if they had the Nexus 7, and he said no. Then I asked of they were going to have it, he said no. I've asked another seller and got the same reply. Apparently they never heard about the Nexus 7 tablet!

About 2 meters away, what I see... a featured tablet with a big "Nexus 7" logo, with its own stand: the Google Nexus 7!!!!

Conclusion: don't ask any of the employees there, they are paid to stand there all days near the tablets but couldn't even remember the name of the featured tablet! And they dare reply with confidence that they don't have the Nexus 7 while it is standing just here near them........

Nexus 7 3G ( second generation ) has been available since last year.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_google_nexus_7_cellular-5091.php

That's not really what the OP was referring to in the initial post, rather it is a 3G version of the first generation N7. And yes, there were several iterations of th fist gen N7: 8 GB, then 16 GB (in the base config.) then 3G. The second generation N7 appears to have a newer/different/faster processor, possibly a better screen. Maybe they'll keep the first gen, around for a while, drop the price to $150 then launch this new N7 (II?) at $199 (16 GB/WiFi only).

Google sells aggressively priced phones via the Play Store and some physical stores, and even through some service providers (T-Mo has a subsidized N4 for example) in the U.S. and Canada (I think?). It seems like they do this primarily to launch new versions of Android quickly, give developers a platform and influence early adopters who start talking about the new Android release. Google is not really in the phone business - they have Motorola for that - and creating products for a global market and dozens of countries requires a huge effort and investment (local regulatory approvals, localizing of product: docs and lacking mostly), local sales, marketing, service, warranty, support...well, I think you get the picture). For example, Samsung has ~ 97 different country and/or service-provider software releases for their SGS2, SGS3, SGS4. Maybe this helps you to understand why Google is not in that business and why it takes so long to get an Android update for an existing phone?

In some cases the manufacturer of the Nexus device chooses to localize a Nexus product, say like LG did here with the N4 or Asus with the N7, but they need to both price the product to fit their existing line and build in margin to cover all these localization costs. Hence the higher MSRPs, or in the case of grey-market imports, some mark-up for profit.

Nexus 7 3G ( second generation ) has been available since last year.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_google_nexus_7_cellular-5091.php

That's not really what the OP was referring to in the initial post, rather it is a 3G version of the first generation N7. And yes, there were several iterations of th fist gen N7: 8 GB, then 16 GB (in the base config.) then 3G. The second generation N7 appears to have a newer/different/faster processor, possibly a better screen. Maybe they'll keep the first gen, around for a while, drop the price to $150 then launch this new N7 (II?) at $199 (16 GB/WiFi only).

Google sells aggressively priced phones via the Play Store and some physical stores, and even through some service providers (T-Mo has a subsidized N4 for example) in the U.S. and Canada (I think?). It seems like they do this primarily to launch new versions of Android quickly, give developers a platform and influence early adopters who start talking about the new Android release. Google is not really in the phone business - they have Motorola for that - and creating products for a global market and dozens of countries requires a huge effort and investment (local regulatory approvals, localizing of product: docs and lacking mostly), local sales, marketing, service, warranty, support...well, I think you get the picture). For example, Samsung has ~ 97 different country and/or service-provider software releases for their SGS2, SGS3, SGS4. Maybe this helps you to understand why Google is not in that business and why it takes so long to get an Android update for an existing phone?

In some cases the manufacturer of the Nexus device chooses to localize a Nexus product, say like LG did here with the N4 or Asus with the N7, but they need to both price the product to fit their existing line and build in margin to cover all these localization costs. Hence the higher MSRPs, or in the case of grey-market imports, some mark-up for profit.

So what's our option? Ship from the U.S. via services like opas.com or comgateway.com or others?

I thought Android was "untouched" on Nexus devices, that means no localization/customization by the manufacturer, no matter the country. Was I wrong?

Re-shippers (shipito is popular here), or have friends bring in a unit. I am fortunate as I return to the U.S. every 60 days or so, and I bring quite a bit of product back with me, usually for friends/colleagues/neighbors. One challenge is just ordering via the Play Store, which requires a VPN. Self-importation does save money but you also have warranty exposure, you'd have to return the unit to the U.S. for any warranty service/replacement. While I do not mark up products when I bring them back, I do strongly discourage people from taking this route. It's a hassle for me, but I am more concerned if they have problems, so I make sure they clearly understand the risks.

Localization and customizations are extremely complex issues - that's why subsidiaries or local service provider partners or distributors play such a crucial. Not every build has all the necessary languages, different builds need different basebands which may have regulatory implications. Service providers can/do add software as part of their branding, the box, documents, pubs, local marketing, sales training, service training etc. all have to be 'localized'.

Again, Nexus devices are sold in the U.S. and Canada only. Sometimes the manufacturer of the Nexus device chooses to sell the product in some countries.

Very strictly speaking, importing even a WiFi-only device, but certainly a 3G/GSM device, probably violates local laws and regulations. Obviously this is a "grey" area.

• Like 1

That's really crazy stuff. I'm wondering how Apple manages to do it so well?

We're not talking about Google here, but about the manufacturers themselves, i.e. Asus, which is already present in many countries etc. Why they can sell the "Fonepad" mentioned above (which is a scam product) but can't just sell one of their other model (i.e. the Nexus 7) at the same time and at the same price as it is sold in the U.S.?

Just for information Asus assembles the Nexus 7 in Taiwan, and the trip from Taiwan to America is much farther than it is to Thailand. Despite that it is available in Thailand only months after it was available in the U.S. and at a price 150% higher than the U.S. price. Importation taxes etc. can't justify those extra charges. Localisation can't be so much expensive, there's nothing to localize as Android is already available in all languages, so eventually the tiny manual paper and the box, that's all! That's a one-day work for a any professional translator!

And why Google refuses to ship internationally? Why block access to the Play Store to all countries? Why they don't just let us pay the extra shipping and local taxes on arrival? They're not infringing ANY law by shipping internationally, many sites does it, why can't they simply allow it.

I believe it's a marketing strategy based on rarity, to make people want it even more. It's a known and proven strategy that was used a lot in Europe for the Nexus 4 (which was "out of stock" for almost 4 months after its official availability in Europe).

Edited by paulsh

That's really crazy stuff. I'm wondering how Apple manages to do it so well?

We're not talking about Google here, but about the manufacturers themselves, i.e. Asus, which is already present in many countries etc. Why they can sell the "Fonepad" mentioned above (which is a scam product) but can't just sell one of their other model (i.e. the Nexus 7) at the same time and at the same price as it is sold in the U.S.?

Just for information Asus assembles the Nexus 7 in Taiwan, and the trip from Taiwan to America is much farther than it is to Thailand. Despite that it is available in Thailand only months after it was available in the U.S. and at a price 150% higher than the U.S. price. Importation taxes etc. can't justify those extra charges. Localisation can't be so much expensive, there's nothing to localize as Android is already available in all languages, so eventually the tiny manual paper and the box, that's all! That's a one-day work for a any professional translator!

And why Google refuses to ship internationally? Why block access to the Play Store to all countries? Why they don't just let us pay the extra shipping and local taxes on arrival? They're not infringing ANY law by shipping internationally, many sites does it, why can't they simply allow it.

I believe it's a marketing strategy based on rarity, to make people want it even more. It's a known and proven strategy that was used a lot in Europe for the Nexus 4 (which was "out of stock" for almost 4 months after its official availability in Europe).

1st. Why is the Fonepad a "scam product"

2nd. The Nexus 7 is available here in Thailand and has been for sometime. I saw it in my local Tesco LOTUS at the weekend along with the fonepad (very different packaging)

3rd. The reason why Nexus is cheaper in the USA is because pretty much EVERYTHING is. Also it is subsidized to the extent that there is no retail chain.

And actually by allowing shipping international in some countries they are breaking laws. Thailand for example insist that all phones pass FCC approval and require a sticker on the phone.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

You're continuing to raise interesting topics...

Apple does it well because they are a manufacturer, have been doing it for a while, but maybe, most importantly, early on, they chose exclusive partners in each country. In some cases it is distributors, some cases service providers. Also, early on, Apple product were more expensive outside the U.S. Once subs get up and running they can manage costs, become profitability independent and manage their own local pricing structure.

I suspect Google negotiates a specific contract with a manufacturer/supplier for each Nexus device, and each contract is different and unique. The manufacturer/supplier may not be allowed to sell/market the product.

Basically, you have to understand and acknowledge that Google Nexus devices are unique in that they are priced without regard to margin. Once you understand that concept you can begin to understand many of your other issues and concerns.

Products need to be localized, and this is a hugely complex process, requiring more than one-day's work. Each country has their own safety, electrical, radio, communications, health, etc. regulatory authorities, all of which need to approve products. You have to train people to sell, support, service; stock spares. Google doesn't want to do this for Nexus devices. Asus, LG, HTC sometimes choose to do this for those Nexus devices which they manufacture. However, they need to price the product based on margin, competition and most importantly how it might fit into their existing product line. Hence LG can't sell a LG Nexus 4 (E360) here for 10,000 baht. They'd lose a ton of money on each unit, and no one would buy their other (nearly) similar high-end smartphones priced in the 15,000 - 21,000 baht range.

The distance between Taiwan, America and Thailand do not really figure into the discussion.

As mentioned a few times, Google Nexus devices are only approved for sale in the U,S. and Canada. They cannot export product to other countries without local regulatory approvals, and paying import duties, taxes. etc.

The Google Nexus 4 was out of stock for so long because LG was unable(/unwilling?) to manufacture units after a first, small batch. There is some conjecture that LG directed components/displays from the N4 production to their own models. Once they caught up on their own production they started making more N4s. Google was extremely dissatisfied with LG's performance.

Hopefully you have a better understanding of the complexities of worldwide distribution of telecomms hardware? I know you may not like the impacts on you personally, but I do hope you understand.

I guess if Google priced their products strictly on margin and competition we wouldn't be having this discussion, rather we'd be paying 2x - 3x for a Nexus product. wink.png Note that Google will start selling a Nexus Galaxy S4 ("Nexus Experience") in a few weeks on the Play Store, for $649.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1