Any Good Solutions For Lack Of Window Screens In Hotel Room For Short Time Stay?

OldChinaHam

This sort of seems amazing. After seeing a few hotels and guesthouses in the Chiang Mai area, I have noticed that not one among them has window screens in place.

Why this is, I really do not care at the moment.

But I am just wondering if anyone here has already thought of a quick fix, a jury-rigged temporary solution which can solve this thoughtlessness of not providing us with some window screens in our rooms.

Don't give away your patent-eligible ideas, of course.

But I had already begun dreaming one night about just buying a nylon mosquito mesh of some sort to tape onto the open window frame.

This solution is really not quite elegant enough for frequent use.

I know that I am not the first one to wonder about what to do when faced with missing screens in my room.

As someone already pointed out, Chiang Mai may have Dengue Fever.

Maybe, or maybe not.

I just want to be able to keep the window open late at night when I can breathe in some fresh air, when the traffic noise has died down, and I can think and contemplate life in general, how I fit in.

I can't live in an air conditioned box 24/7 can I? No.

Too much like I imagine prison to be.

And when traveling around to hotels without screens, there surely must be a way to bring your own window screen which can be rolled up to the size of a sock when not in use, and easy to pack when on the road.

And easily attached and taken down at check out time.

If not some sort of rolled up plastic mesh, then are there other choices?

How do you easily put them up and take them down the next morning?

We don't need engineering drawings here, I suppose.

But some posted sketches would be helpful.

Thank you, again.

(I have watched for a few months already, and it seems to me that people here will often just let mosquitoes bite them while slapping at their legs for ages, but will not take a bit of time to think of an easy way to keep from getting bitten in the first place. I can't understand it, but it is true enough. Almost as if they are thinking, "It is our lot in life to be bitten." And we must endure it with a smile.)

You could go by some screen and have some Velcro sewn onto all four sides then attach double stick Velcro to the window frame and now you have a screen for your window.

Or, just get the measurements from the window and get a screen and frame made and leave it when you leave.

Not a big deal. But, I don't know how you did it in Taiwan,Japan or Tokyo.....wink.png

• Like 1

Yeah.. I can't imagine hotels or guesthouses that would not have screens (especially if non-aircnditioned), but if you manage to find one then just pick up a mosquito net at Tesco or Big C. Bedding section.

Truly, it is the case that both guesthouses I stayed at in CM did NOT have window screens. I am NOT making this up, but I almost can't believe it myself. One place I saw has a few screen doors standing up against one wall for the sliding glass patio doors, and I asked about those and was told they rent those for "extra", extra money. Really this is strange. This was one of the first things I noticed about CM housing, the lack of screen doors, and screen windows. Normally where I have lived, it is very difficult to find a place without them, even though often they have tiny rips and tears. These guesthouses had aircon, but as I stated, I do not like to use air conditioning when I do not need to because it feels better to have the window open in CM climate. And who likes the drone of the indoor unit?

You could go by some screen and have some Velcro sewn onto all four sides then attach double stick Velcro to the window frame and now you have a screen for your window.

Or, just get the measurements from the window and get a screen and frame made and leave it when you leave.

Not a big deal. But, I don't know how you did it in Taiwan,Japan or Tokyo.....wink.png

I never had this problem in Taiwan or Japan. There, the windows all had screens in place. Also, I cannot use pre-cut screen already mounted in a frame, because I need something I can roll up or pack easily, as well as something which I can somehow attach securely or stick securely to the edges of the window frame of the opened window. Velcro would be great, or something like Velcro, but this will not stick to the window 'jamb' on all 4 sides, which is usually made out of aluminum, other metal, wood, or sometimes plastic.

Mosquito netting? Light weight and can pack it tightly for portability.

I agree that this is the material to use for the actual screening, but I am just trying to figure out what to use on the edges of the screening so that I can attach it to the window 'jamb' of windows which are different sizes. (I do not mean radically different size, because most guesthouse have windows that will open to about 0.5 meters wide, and then the height of the opening varies, but not too much.)

• Like 1

Just a quick word on the headline...

I don't think 'short time stay' means what you think it means...

whistling.gif

My headline was especially formulated to make you laugh a bit, sir. (Snicker a bit?)

But this is a serious request for information. Last night I was at the desk here trying to work (no do not let your mind wander) and I had about 10 mosquitoes fly in during a period of 3 hours. What I have been doing is to just let them fly in, then when ready to sleep, I turn the aircon on, close the window, and use some sort of bug spray to bomb the bugs, and then sleep. This would be OK but it is no fun being bitten while the window is open. And the aircon unit makes a racket when turned on. It is an industrial model built for a much larger room. Even if it were a good model aircon, I still enjoy having the window open at night. I like the birds, you know.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Get a mosquito net and sleep under it. You can pick them up at most camping stores and a lot of the police/military shops around the moat.

Very good Idea. I have been thinking about buying a mosquito net. But not for sleeping under.

I like to sit outside and read or study or listen to the birds. The problem with this is that there seem to be a million of those super fast tiny bugs maybe some form of fly which buzz around and land on every part of your exposed skin.

I thought of wearing socks, shoes long pants long sleeve shirt hat and veil but this would be too hot.

Next time I visit a place that sells them, I will definitely buy a mosquito net and then see if there is some sort off way I can rig this up to hang over me while I sit in the park reading.

It may turn out to be amusing to some at first, but I think this is the best solution for me in the park.

Window without screens is a more difficult problem, however.

It's really simple to buy enough nettiing and a roll of masking or packing tape, and DIY the windows. I travelled all over Africa like that. Most rooms do not have more than 2 windows at best.

Another tip - wear very loose fitting cotton (only cotton will do) long sleeved shirts and long pants for when you are outside. That is cooler than bare skin and no mozzy-attacks. Feet, hands and neck need some repellant -- lemon or lime juice is effective, but as you sweat it will wash off. I was in the habit of drinking lemon tea and fishing the half-lemon out each time to re-apply the repellant.

• Like 1

but I am just trying to figure out what to use on the edges of the screening

duct+tape.+tags+say+all_5368a3_3941242.j

Thank you for posting what looks like an image here, or maybe a video. Unfortunately, all I am able to see in my Chrome browser is the empty rectangular line drawing of a box with a green and blue file icon inside.

Maybe I am lacking a plug in?

but I am just trying to figure out what to use on the edges of the screening

Thank you for posting what looks like an image here, or maybe a video. Unfortunately, all I am able to see in my Chrome browser is the empty rectangular line drawing of a box with a green and blue file icon inside.

Maybe I am lacking a plug in?

I changed it from offsite linked image to an attachment now.

Tywais: "I changed it from offsite linked image to an attachment now."

Tywais, Thank you. I suppose I should have known. Duct tape works for everything. I should have invented 'duck' tape when I first had the chance before 1902. Still, I am trying to find a solution which will be more user friendly, and more housekeeping staff friendly, so that I don't get kicked out on my ear when they see I have taped up all their windows.

Note: It seems that this TV quotation system will not let me post another embedded quote here, the "limit" has been reached. Hope I am not using it the wrong way.

Note: It seems that this TV quotation system will not let me post another embedded quote here, the "limit" has been reached. Hope I am not using it the wrong way.

Limit is 5 embedded quotes so you are not doing anything wrong.

if its a wooden frame, you can use thumbtacks.

or flat thumbtacks with magnets

if its aluminum, you can get some reuseable putty type adhesive that comes off and can go back on.

Duct Tape seems easiest though.

• Like 2

I know some of you might think that I am some sort of crackpot commenter, at times. And you tend not to believe what I tell you. You think that I am nuts when I tell you there are no screens in the land of mosquitoes. And that there must be a solution, which might be screens for travelers to take with them for temporary use in hotels, or guesthouses.

After posting this topic, I did some searching for good ideas, and I still don't have a solution.

But what I do have is a link to another forum where they talk about just this same topic.

They talk about the lack of screens in Europe and what they can do to solve the problem and not be eaten.

Here is the link, and the comments are interesting to read, I thought:

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/24746/window-screens-in-europe-.html

So while I keep searching for a good solution,

Please do not think me too much of a crackpot.

Or if you do, then think of me as a lovable old crackpot.

And post a good solution, too.

Thanks.

Here is a short video for the Velcro backers.

It seems to be a great solution,

But it is not temporary and can't be removed so easily once securely attached in a hotel room.

Or maybe it can:

Flexiscreens "The flexible insect screen"

Also, aesthetically, this solution does not seem appealing.

Edited by OldChinaHam

get those mosquitoe netting, cut it and tape it on the window. painter tape, you dont wanna tear off the wall paint or leave sticky residue

Now you're talking! Good solution.

My original concern was leaving a sticky film that would be noticeable and collect dirt, and then need to be scrubbed or repainted.

I would never have thought of painter's tape. But I wonder if this product is sold in Thailand, or CM for that matter.

I have never seen it myself anywhere.

And what might be the name of it in Thai I wonder.

Anyway, this solution will definitely work and can be put up and taken down in a matter of minutes and be made to fit any size window I might encounter.

Great!

get those mosquitoe netting, cut it and tape it on the window. painter tape, you dont wanna tear off the wall paint or leave sticky residue

Now you're talking! Good solution.

My original concern was leaving a sticky film that would be noticeable and collect dirt, and then need to be scrubbed or repainted.

I would never have thought of painter's tape. But I wonder if this product is sold in Thailand, or CM for that matter.

I have never seen it myself anywhere.

And what might be the name of it in Thai I wonder.

Anyway, this solution will definitely work and can be put up and taken down in a matter of minutes and be made to fit any size window I might encounter.

Great!

You don't need the name in Thai. Just go to Home Pro where they have all the tape products in one place. Look for the blue painters tape. Either they will have it or they won't. If it is manufactured by 3M they could probably order it for you at the 3M Shop on Th. WuLai.

Like another poster said, turn on the fan. They don't like fans.

Edited by elektrified

Just a quick word on the headline...

I don't think 'short time stay' means what you think it means...

whistling.gif

? I think it's perfectly clear? Typical holiday stay in Chiang Mai, couple of nights, then move on.

He's not speaking Chinese is he?

Well i instantly thought that he was talking about "Short time " Hotels aswell... and I would have thought the majority of people who read it probably did also..