Ministry Wants To Make Thais Taller

Lite Beer

Ministry wants to make Thais taller
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry aims to boost Thai youths' average height to 175cm for males and 162cm for females in 10 years and also lengthen the average life span to 80 years through a campaign to drink milk every day.

Saying that Thais drank only 14 litres of milk per head per year, compared to the Southeast Asia average of 60 litres and the world rate of 103.9 litres per year, Deputy Public Health Minister Cholanan Srikaew yesterday said Thai youths aged 18 were hence rather short with the average height of males at 167.1cm and females at 157.4cm.

Cholanan made his comments on the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation's World Milk Day yesterday. He said Thais of all age should be urged to drink milk. Starting with the ministry's campaign to get 60 per cent of newborns (or 800,000 newborns) breastfed for at least six months after birth, then be fed with breast milk along with nutrient food until the age of 2, he said other Thai age groups should also be encouraged to drink cow milk.

Health Department chief Jessada Chokdamrongsuk suggested that pre-school kids drink 2-3 glasses of milk, schooling kids drink two glasses of milk and adults drink one glass of low-fat milk after meals on a daily basis. Pregnant women or breast-feeding mothers should drink two glasses of milk. Those with stomach problems after drinking milk should start with small amounts and slowly increase the intake to let the body adjust, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-02

• Like 1

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai children are brainwashed to buying all those fancy jap style drinks in 7 eleven stores. I try to convince my kids to drink fresh milk but they prefer the oishi junk.

Its also an effort to get them to drink orange juice. These kids all like KFC and maybe chocolate milk....up to them.

Just as a matter of interest, how many dairy herds are there in Thailand. Nearest fresh milk, which I assume the article is about, is about 30kn from our home.

Not sure, but the emaciated cows that I've seen in most of the country would probably not produce much milk anyway in comparison to a proper dairy herd. Maybe it's time to start a dairy farm with some recognised breeds. The increased consumption the government is decreeing is huge and I'm sure they have not done the math on how big the dairy industry has to grow to meet that consumption level.

They have done the Math.

A cow gives naturally only 1-4 pounds of milk a day.

Now cows are tweaked and shot-up with Posilac to produce up

to 55 or more pounds of milk per day... almost all year long...

• Like 1

Thai children are brainwashed to buying all those fancy jap style drinks in 7 eleven stores. I try to convince my kids to drink fresh milk but they prefer the oishi junk.

Its also an effort to get them to drink orange juice. These kids all like KFC and maybe chocolate milk....up to them.

I think you will find that oishi's predominant flavouring is sugar. Barely a spot of tea to be found.

truly amazing.whenever i think those xx cant come up with a bigger nonsense they always find something more redicoulus to publish.where the hell they just got those ideas from???

truly amazing.whenever i think those xx cant come up with a bigger nonsense they always find something more redicoulus to publish.where the hell they just got those ideas from???

Maybe they could try a marketing campaign promoting the fact that milk is the perfect compliment to Lao Khao.

• Like 2

The average Thai does not taste milk again after they leave the tit.

I've seen Thai children in farang land grow to over 6ft tall due to the western diet and milk at schools.

In reality this will not happen in Thailand because of the logistics of the dairy industry.

CCC

The average Thai does not taste milk again after they leave the tit.

I've seen Thai children in farang land grow to over 6ft tall due to the western diet and milk at schools.

In reality this will not happen in Thailand because of the logistics of the dairy industry.

CCC

Soya milk is a far better alternative, they also provide kids with soya milk at the local fee paying school. Don't know about government schools but would it would be a start.

• Like 1

Some off-topic post deleted.

I think the part about milk is referring to children. I don't think starting to drink milk as an adult will make you taller. I also doubt that it will help you live longer.

• Like 1

Thais should worry more about expanding their brain power. What mindless Thai would even suggest the preposterous notion that they should "breed" bigger Thais?

If you are unfortunate enough to have to watch Thai TV, there are numerous adverts making the claim that milk increases brain power as well.

I have twin step-daughters (genetically Thai) who were as tall or taller than the boys in their class, and much taller than the girls. Their diet was basically Thai but with higher protein levels than usual for most (assumption) with some western additions such as Jam, Vegemite, bread/toast and ,yes, I encouraged flavoured milk as their morning take-to-school snack. At 16 they were a head taller than their mother.

There was a free milk school program some years ago, and occasionally the wife would arrive back from the school with a tray of UHT milk cartons. Is this still in existence, or was it banned as being the idea of some other political party, now to be re-instated as a gift from PTP?