What Have You Done To The Pizza? Oh Mamma Mia!

bluweyze

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went and had a pizza that was as good as usual today for lunch. Shared it with a friend and along with a green salad and the free bread basket it filled us up. It was my foodie dining companion's first time there and he thought everything was nice too. Lots of gooey mozz, nice balanced tomato sauce but a bit light on the quantity of toppings.

I talked to the owner and he said that a supplier asked him to try a different mozzarella which he did and that he preferred the old one which he is back using again. He also said that the last time I was in (it's a good sign when a proprietor remembers when you were there, where you sat and what you ate) he was serving the new cheese and to be honest I didn't notice a difference, though I didn't try them against each other, and as I previously posted that I "Had two very good pizzas there last weekend".

I noticed the sausage pizza was listed as vienna sausage which wikipedia describes as "Wieners sold as vienna sausage in Europe have a taste and texture very much like North American "hot dogs" or "frankfurters'", so I can see where there can be some misunderstanding. As I'm not a fan of sausage I didn't try it so I'll leave the critiques to those who did but I would suggest to you who don't like pizza toppings that are similar to hotdogs to not order sausage that is similar to hotdogs on them.

I assume that AnglesLariat's comments where he suggests that an "expert chef", which is a term that I have personally never heard of, accomplished or acclaimed yes, of having a conflict of interest that he is referring to me. I have never written about La Fortana but did enjoy the one meal I had there. But if he made a honest mistake and confused it with another post I made I will clarify that I have no conflict of interest as I just give my honest, and yes somewhat professional, opinion on places I eat. I have no affiliation with either of these nor any restaurant and only know some of the proprietors from being a customer. I think he should get his facts straight before suggesting anything about someone else and I can't figure out why he can't figure out why I said what I do as I back up my statements with experienced driven thoughts and facts. So feel free, while hiding behind your anonymous avatar, to address my anonymous avatar anytime and if you haves any questions or concerns that you would prefer to keep out of the public's eye be my guest to personal message as well.

While I'm calling out individuals have you Ulysses G. been there and tried their crust? I ask as another poster implied that you might have not and if this is true perhaps you should before writing about an establishment in discussion as it can be misconstrued that you had and did not like it. By the way I think the crust is excellent there and that's one of the main reasons why I go there.

As I can't verify anything that has been said on this thread by anyone but myself perhaps some things said that have been posted here, either the members own words or their quotes of others, are not 100% accurate. But from them a lot of people have said they will not return or not try in the first place Mama Mia Pizzeria. This should be considered when writing something that effects a man's livelihood because as proven here this was all cleared up with just a little communication. As they say in this business if you tell someone something good about a restaurant they will tell someone else but if you tell them something bad they will tell ten!

And so to the OP your request has been granted and your cheese is back! Hope to see you there one day.smile.png

I wrote the original post. I'm happy that the old cheese is back and yes we will be back because I liked the food there but didn't like the new 'healthy' recipe. I don't accept that the post should not have been written or that communication would clear it up because both my wife, in Thai and myself in English communicated to the nice lady that is always serving there. We were clearly told the recipe had changed to be more healthy.The old pizza is back is good news.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, did anyone ever explain why this new cheese was "healthy"?

With all due respect, was it "healthy" because it was "cheap"?

Low fat was the reason

But Low fat makes a bad melting cheese as it tends to foam rather than melt

Of course less fat always equals less taste

Folks use to say,

If you want to know what no fat taste like bite a piece of cardboard smile.png

Edited by mania

I believe I have solved the mystery of what Mamma Mia was putting on its pizza: ricotta. And very good ricotta. It comes from a company called Da Casaro located in Hua Hin that makes real Italian style Ricotta which comes from whey. (In Italy the original ricotta came from sheep's whey but this is close enough). Because it's made from whey it's virtually fat free. Very delicate and delicious. But it really doesn't belong on a pizza.In New York, some places do sell what is called white pizza made with ricotta. I've never tried it.

I believe I have solved the mystery of what Mamma Mia was putting on its pizza: ricotta. And very good ricotta. It comes from a company called Da Casaro located in Hua Hin that makes real Italian style Ricotta which comes from whey. (In Italy the original ricotta came from sheep's whey but this is close enough). Because it's made from whey it's virtually fat free. Very delicate and delicious. But it really doesn't belong on a pizza.In New York, some places do sell what is called white pizza made with ricotta. I've never tried it.

Did he tell you this?

I went to Mama Mia today and told them about this nonsensical thread. They told me that they are not using the "new" cheese anymore and it's all as it used to be.

This was my first visit. I ordered a pizza, a pork steak and a caprese salad. I don't even know why a thread was started about this, because the food is very unremarkable and ordinary. This pizza is not the best in anywhere, it is very mediocre and not even a close contender with the duke's. The pizza did have real cheese on it though, and it was fine. The pork steak was not to my liking. In the caprese salad I liked the fresh italian basil.

Overall a very average type of family restaurant that is close to my home. Everybody getting hot and bothered about food that's not worth writing about.

I would eat there again if I was too lazy to drive to the duke's, on the rare occasion I eat pizza.

Did he tell you this?

I was posting this because he didn't know what it was but his description corresponds very closely to the ricotta. Also, it's fat free. ANd I beieve that somewhere in this thread there is a mention that the maker of the cheese was located in Hua Hin (I"m not going to look for it).

I was posting this because he didn't know what it was but his description corresponds very closely to the ricotta. Also, it's fat free. ANd I beieve that somewhere in this thread there is a mention that the maker of the cheese was located in Hua Hin (I"m not going to look for it).

Thanks I was just curious as I had one of those pizza's & the cheese

was not as rich as the original mozzarella but still had a stretchiness to it.

I never had ricotta that stretched.

Not important as I said I was just curious as if it was ricotta I have never tasted

one like it.

I went to Mama Mia today and told them about this nonsensical thread. They told me that they are not using the "new" cheese anymore and it's all as it used to be.

This was my first visit. I ordered a pizza, a pork steak and a caprese salad. I don't even know why a thread was started about this, because the food is very unremarkable and ordinary. This pizza is not the best in anywhere, it is very mediocre and not even a close contender with the duke's. The pizza did have real cheese on it though, and it was fine. The pork steak was not to my liking. In the caprese salad I liked the fresh italian basil.

Overall a very average type of family restaurant that is close to my home. Everybody getting hot and bothered about food that's not worth writing about.

I would eat there again if I was too lazy to drive to the duke's, on the rare occasion I eat pizza.

I'm sure that you will be too lazy from the prolific amount of your responses.

I know a number of people like you who can't recognize good food because they have always eaten poor quality food. that is your standard and barometer reading. how could you possibly know when you've eaten something great

I know a number of people like you who can't recognize good food because they have always eaten poor quality food. that is your standard and barometer reading. how could you possibly know when you've eaten something great

Thank you for that response. I have poor standards you are correct. My culinary arts degree, years of working in kitchens and having the privilage of stepping in some heavy hitter's kitchens and learning from them and their sous chefs makes me a prime example of someone who does not understand food, or what makes it good or what makes it appeal to a large number of people while being exquizite at the same time. Clearly, I am the worst person to ask anything food related.

Perhaps we should ask the poster who said Pizza Company makes great pizza what he thinks.

Thank you for that response. I have poor standards you are correct. My culinary arts degree, years of working in kitchens and having the privilage of stepping in some heavy hitter's kitchens and learning from them and their sous chefs makes me a prime example of someone who does not understand food, or what makes it good or what makes it appeal to a large number of people while being exquizite at the same time. Clearly, I am the worst person to ask anything food related.

Perhaps we should ask the poster who said Pizza Company makes great pizza what he thinks.

sure you do.

sure you do.

Wow, that's profound! Such an articulate and well thought-out response. Thank you!

.... said the faceless, genderless, ageless, anonymous poster to the guy who has nothing to gain or hide.

Any customers in the restaurant today?

Edit: And by the way, you notice how my 2 line review of the food in this place prompted you to immediately go on a personal attack? Are you really that miserable?

I'm concluding my participation in this thread with this post. It was fun while it lasted.

Edited by justben

Opinions on taste of foods is a personal thing
I do not know why it is hard for some to understand not all folks like the same
tastes,styles etc.

I once said this was the best pizza "I" have had in CM
That is valid to "me" others of course may love it or hate it.
But all this other stuff is hard to understand.

Would be nice if folks could like something without being attacked.
Or others did not feel the need to tout a degree in cooking as a reason why they know best
what is the best for one & all.

I like it or I don't is all anyone can really say or needs to be said.

mehhhh coffee1.gif

• Like 1