What Have You Done To The Pizza? Oh Mamma Mia!

bluweyze

In 15 years I have NEVER EVER seen a hotdog in Thailand,

Then I suggest that you try the Sausage Pizza at Mamma Mia.

Also Dukes has hot dogs just ask

Butter is better has them also.

Both of them have the finest tasting hot dog I have ever tasted bar none. That includes North America.

The fixings on them are your choice and can make a difference but the hot dog itself is the best.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 15 years I have NEVER EVER seen a hotdog in Thailand,

Then I suggest that you try the Sausage Pizza at Mamma Mia.

Also Dukes has hot dogs just ask

Butter is better has them also.

Both of them have the finest tasting hot dog I have ever tasted bar none. That includes North America.

The fixings on them are your choice and can make a difference but the hot dog itself is the best.

I like hotdogs alright, just not on pizza.

You can always go to China and get a pizza with durian topping...getting popular there

But do expert chefs claim the pizza to be authentic and similar to pizza that they used to get in Boston?

I think that it would be fine if a place wanted to sell hotdog pizza if they called it a hotdog pizza on the menu. Same with the durian pizza, if you call it a durian pizza that would be fine, but it you sold it as a mushroom pizza and used durian instead that would be unwelcome.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

I read that some jerk thinks I am making this story up. As I said in my original post the restaurant has good food , at a good price. It is operated by nice people. What I do know is that they have changed the recipe, what with, I don't know but is is low fat. No, I did not refuse to pay just because I didn't like the change of recipe. I'm not that rude or cheap.The fact that other posters would says more about them than me. I really hope they change the recipe back or put both options on the menu.

• Like 2

I read that some jerk thinks I am making this story up. As I said in my original post the restaurant has good food , at a good price. It is operated by nice people. What I do know is that they have changed the recipe, what with, I don't know but is is low fat. No, I did not refuse to pay just because I didn't like the change of recipe. I'm not that rude or cheap.The fact that other posters would says more about them than me. I really hope they change the recipe back or put both options on the menu.

yea.... I just don't know...... its getting harder and harder to find a decent jerk , these days

coffee1.gif

To be fair, perhaps we're all getting a bit over-wrought about the pizza situation in Chiang Mai. I didn't move here to eat pizza, but after a while living here, a guy wants a good pie! A friend of mine swears that if you go out Hang Dong Road and turn right at the Big C intersection (just past where you go to get drivers license, car inspections, etc.), there's a great pizza place not far down that road, marked by a sign with a big smiling Buddha. Having only a bicycle, I have yet to make the journey, but I will, someday.

I found tolerable pizza and some quite good sandwiches at the fairly new "Dailycious" restaurant on the outer moat road, directly across the moat from the World Infamous Mad Dog Farang restaurant, which also advertises that they have pizzas. La Villa has almost good pizzas, but a notch below Why Not? in my opinion.

Even in America, violent arguments will break out over whose pizzas are "best". Later in life, I defected from the Chicago School of thick crust to the more thin crust, traditional approach. If anybody ever comes to CM that's a master pie maker, and uses the best cheeses, sausages (hot dogs? PLEASE!) they will have a machine to print baht. Be prepared to pay, though, this stuff is not cheap.

I've heard that there is good pizza in Chiang Mai, but I haven't found it in four years here. Why Not? Restaurant on Soi 11 off Nimmanhaemen comes close, but many would probably disagree. At least he's Italian, and doesn't skimp on proper ingredients. A worthy effort, and a good selection of other Italian dishes at reasonable prices.

Have been this Saturday at Why Not. The owner changed and so the recipe. Not good anymore!

I can suggest Casa di Antonio, La Girasole and Puccinella and my Italian schoolmate suggests La Fontana.

Just spoke with Joseph and he stated that he is making pizza the same way using the same cheese that he had used for most of the past. The exception was a brief period when he tried a new mozzarella which he quickly acknowledged was a mistake and for which he apologized.

So the menu had not changed, the pizza recipe has not changed and the pizza is and will be as usual.

I have never found his pizza tomato sauce to be sweet and I have never ordered a sausage pizza knowing it was not my thing after seeing one. I eat other pizza, many pastas and salads there.

It is regrettable that the restaurant caught so much unnecessary shyt on this forum when a 3 minute chat with the owner would have clarified things.

Did he say whether the "brief period" in which he tried a new mozzarella was 2 days ago? Edited by AngelsLariat

If you own your house, consider building a pizza oven. I use mine 2 or 3 times per week, not just for pizza but breads, roasts, desserts, casseroles and even searing chiles for namphrik. It is true that cheese prices went up - even the local Thai mozzarella. I make the Italian sausage from ground pork, lots of fennel, oregano, etc and leave in the refrigerator overnight. It is worth it (to me) to be able to have quality pizza.

Could you invite me over for dinner and maybe lessons??

Just spoke with Joseph and he stated that he is making pizza the same way using the same cheese that he had used for most of the past. The exception was a brief period when he tried a new mozzarella which he quickly acknowledged was a mistake and for which he apologized.

So the menu had not changed, the pizza recipe has not changed and the pizza is and will be as usual.

I have never found his pizza tomato sauce to be sweet and I have never ordered a sausage pizza knowing it was not my thing after seeing one. I eat other pizza, many pastas and salads there.

It is regrettable that the restaurant caught so much unnecessary shyt on this forum when a 3 minute chat with the owner would have clarified things.

Did he say whether the "brief period" in which he tried a new mozzarella was 2 days ago?

Not specifically and I did not ask exactly when he tried the new mozzerella but when I asked about the Pizza he mentioned the Thai Visa comments so I think it is reasonable to assume that we were talking about the same thing. Give him a call if you want to confirm, his number is in this thread. His English is good and he is easy to talk to.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 2

Thanks for the follow up after such explaination I don't think much damaged has been done to his reputation.

And so to the OP your request has been granted and your cheese is back! Hope to see you there one day

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

so was it a new mozzarella or cheeseless pizza told by the staff as claimed by ts? it still doesnt add up

on a note, ts should clear up if he was bullshlting about the pizza without cheese. great difference between different mozerella and a pizza without cheese

on the other hand if he was indeed served a pizza without cheese, i think the owner really own him one proper meal

damn . . pizza is serious business here

so was it a new mozzarella or cheeseless pizza told by the staff as claimed by ts? it still doesnt add up

on a note, ts should clear up if he was bullshlting about the pizza without cheese. great difference between different mozerella and a pizza without cheese

on the other hand if he was indeed served a pizza without cheese, i think the owner really own him one proper meal

Hope this is not off-topic but...

The Pizza Company at Central Airport Plaza has really great pan pizza at a very reasonable price?

Even the 199 baht size was more than two of us could eat... and delicious.

The Pizza Company at Central Airport Plaza has really great pan pizza at a very reasonable price?

It was really more than two of you could eat?

Nah.......c'mon you're kidding right?.........Really?

• Like 1

To be fair, perhaps we're all getting a bit over-wrought about the pizza situation in Chiang Mai. I didn't move here to eat pizza, but after a while living here, a guy wants a good pie! A friend of mine swears that if you go out Hang Dong Road and turn right at the Big C intersection (just past where you go to get drivers license, car inspections, etc.), there's a great pizza place not far down that road, marked by a sign with a big smiling Buddha. Having only a bicycle, I have yet to make the journey, but I will, someday.

I found tolerable pizza and some quite good sandwiches at the fairly new "Dailycious" restaurant on the outer moat road, directly across the moat from the World Infamous Mad Dog Farang restaurant, which also advertises that they have pizzas. La Villa has almost good pizzas, but a notch below Why Not? in my opinion.

Even in America, violent arguments will break out over whose pizzas are "best". Later in life, I defected from the Chicago School of thick crust to the more thin crust, traditional approach. If anybody ever comes to CM that's a master pie maker, and uses the best cheeses, sausages (hot dogs? PLEASE!) they will have a machine to print baht. Be prepared to pay, though, this stuff is not cheap.

The Pizza place off the Hang Dong Road is Pizza N Pasta. They do make an excellent NY Style Pizza. In their early days, they only offered one kind of sauce skewed towards Thai tastes so it was a bit sweet. But now they offer a NY style sauce with is simple and tomatoey and really good. I don't miss NY pizza anymore. According to their website they do offer delivery within a 5 kilometer radius. Here are the GPS coordinates: 18°44'44.21"N 98°57'15.81"E

No, not kidding. We had to take half of it home.

My gawd, their pan pizza is about an inch thick.

You should go try it. I loved the veggie pizza.

Fabulous.

Edited by BradinAsia

Perhaps the cheese the supplier wanted to switch to was a more profitable chinese product, bulked up with vegetable oil or otherwise of a low quality. Maybe that would give it a yoghurt-like consistency when cooked.

I quit buying store made pizzas when I realised how quick, easy and cheap they were to make at home.

Most kitchen staples include tomato puree, flour, olive oil, cheese and veggies, with the addition of buying a small bottle of instant yeast and maybe a small tin of pineapple the combinations are endless, ham, bacon, chicken can all be variations....and you can keep the dough in the fridge for 48 hours or freeze it.

I use a small round 'Otto' convection bowl-type oven that was less than a 1k Baht from BigC but you could make it lengthways and cook it on a BBQ.......a deepdish 10" costs less than 60Baht to make....(at Phuket airport a slice is 99 Baht !)

Pizza Dough

Ingredients:

6 oz (175 gms) Plain White Flour

1 Level teaspoon salt

1 Level Teaspoon ‘Easyblend’ Yeast

½ Teaspoon Sugar

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

4 Fluid oz Hand Hot Water

Enjoy.....wai2.gif

I quit buying store made pizzas when I realised how quick, easy and cheap they were to make at home.

Most kitchen staples include tomato puree, flour, olive oil, cheese and veggies, with the addition of buying a small bottle of instant yeast and maybe a small tin of pineapple the combinations are endless, ham, bacon, chicken can all be variations....and you can keep the dough in the fridge for 48 hours or freeze it.

I use a small round 'Otto' convection bowl-type oven that was less than a 1k Baht from BigC but you could make it lengthways and cook it on a BBQ.......a deepdish 10" costs less than 60Baht to make....(at Phuket airport a slice is 99 Baht !)

Pizza Dough

Ingredients:

6 oz (175 gms) Plain White Flour

1 Level teaspoon salt

1 Level Teaspoon ‘Easyblend’ Yeast

½ Teaspoon Sugar

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

4 Fluid oz Hand Hot Water

Enjoy.....wai2.gif

I may be wrong but it was my understanding that the BBQ will not get hot enough. I had wanted to do this in the past and looked for a real pizza oven to buy or build.

Spent a lot of time researching it, until I finally lost my appetite for pizza.

With or without cheese.

I have not had a pizza in over 10 years. But I would really like to try one if I knew it was top of the line, and with good toppings.

I don't think you will find a good one in a franchise, with or without cheese.

But I do miss the Manhattan pizza you can sometimes find there.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Perhaps the cheese the supplier wanted to switch to was a more profitable chinese product, bulked up with vegetable oil or otherwise of a low quality. Maybe that would give it a yoghurt-like consistency when cooked.

I believe it was from a cheese maker in Hua Hin and if it is the one I am familiar with there he makes a pretty good product.

No, not kidding. We had to take half of it home.

My gawd, their pan pizza is about an inch thick.

You should go try it. I loved the veggie pizza.

Fabulous.

That means you and your friend only managed 3 slices of what, a 10" pizza?