Best Usb Wireless For On Nut ?

RoboLB

Hi All,

There is a lot of great information on here about the different types of USB wireless internet connections available in Thailand but I'm struggling with deciding my best option. I find the different services in Thailand a bit confusing.

I am trying to spend 4-6 weeks each year in Thailand on a kind of working holiday. Just doing bits of work online whilst taking a break.

Last year I based myself in a Hotel in Suk around Soi 24 and really struggled with gettting good internet. The Hotel WiFi was hopeless, so I tried a range of USB devices. None seemed to live up to the claims. Tried DTAC and AIS and others

If I could get 4-5 down and 1 up I'd be happy. Faster would be great of course.

Of course a lot depends on time of day, location, proximity to transmission towers etc.

Last trip we bought a small condo at On Nut, so we'll be based there this time. Right next to the BTS, 20+ floors up.

Can anyone recommend a really good device/carrier that we should go with? Just a pre paid USB that I can top up is fine. Maybe after this trip we can look at something more permanent to 'install'. Not sure yet what the Condo building provides. But I need 'mobile' internet anyway, as we may have a few days away here and there.

Oh, one last thing, the pre paid sims seem to come woth a pitiful amount of data allowance. That was another challenge. I do video editing and graphic work so need lots. I think the best AIS could do last year was a sim with 1GB. So I ended buying 5 at a time. I would use 10-25 GB a week easily.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Buy an unlocked USB aircard which supports 850/2100 MHz 3G. Buy both a TrueMove H and DTAC/Happy SIM - 50 baht each, and subscribe to daily plans for 49 baht to determine which provider offers the best service. Then go with a maximum GB plan, which might offer the highest speed after you reach your threshold, or just keep re-subscribing to new plans if a throttled speed is inadequate.

20+ floors up may present some challenges re: 3G, you'll have to experiement.

10 - 25 GB per week may be challenging.

You should be able to get fixed-line broadband in your condo quite easily and quickly. Maybe DSL or DOCSIS form True Online, or DSL form TOT?

Edited by lomatopo

Buy an unlocked USB aircard which supports 850/2100 MHz 3G. Buy both a TrueMove H and DTAC/Happy SIM - 50 baht each, and subscribe to daily plans for 49 baht to determine which provider offers the best service. Then go with a maximum GB plan, which might offer the highest speed after you reach your threshold, or just keep re-subscribing to new plans if a throttled speed is inadequate.

20+ floors up may present some challenges re: 3G, you'll have to experiement.

10 - 25 GB per week may be challenging.

You should be able to get fixed-line broadband in your condo quite easily and quickly. Maybe DSL or DOCSIS form True Online, or DSL form TOT?

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks. think I have an Aircard aleady...

TrueMove H have a 10 GB plan, for 1,699 baht.

That said, mobile performance in taller buildings can be an issue.

Personally, I'd communicate with someone in the building, and see what fixed-line services you can get. And even if they can start the process for you.

I doubt that you will be happy with 3G, if I understand your application requirements correctly.

post-9615-0-21201600-1370140949_thumb.jp