Are Thais The Worst Drivers In The World?

There really comes a point here in Thailand when yet another dopey Thai driver cuts you up, wanders from one lane of traffic to another not even looking if anything is in their way, or my favorite stops dead in the middle of 3 or 4 lanes of fast moving traffic or cuts across 3 or 4 lanes of fast moving traffic at 3 mph. The more I live and drive in this country the more I have come to the conclusion that Thais are the worst drivers in the world!

Also I have recently notices with a great deal of alarm the huge number if busses and coaches in Pattaya with completely bald tyres! Lethal!

• Like 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would take some beating, but when a driving test just involves driving round in a circle which most don't bother with. Police that only take 'fines' and half the nation thinking it's alright to drink and drive it is to be expected.

• Like 1

Anyone claiming that has not traveled very much. How about Indonesia, Philippines, not to mention places like Pakistan, India, quite a few countries in Africa, etc. Driving in Thailand is relaxed compared to those places.

CAIRO / GUATEMALA CITY / DAKKAR

Thais are bad, but they're far from the worst.

• Like 2

The one thing that is starting to bother me is that I am starting to drive like them.

If you can't beat them join them giggle.gif

Driving in Thailand is relaxed compared lots of places around the world

Sent from my desk top. I phone ? far to small a screen to even think about

My conclusion about LOS driving is it is a mindset thing. My mrs has convinced me of that. We hear about the face thingy a lot here, that is what it is about, ''Must be in front'', f...... you , PLUS, the lack of common sense, plus the lack of police intervention with numnuts. sad.png

Whether it's motorbikes or cars, my experience is the drivers that do the stupidest of things are foreigners.

Your driving must be limited to the Patong Strip or something.

Noooooooooooo, his lady drives. whistling.gif ................laugh.png

Yes.

And now they have shiny new high powered pickups and SUVs compliments of the government grant..they are also the world's most lethal.

I doubt the SUV's entered in the "first car policy"... cheesy.gif

Some years ago the Mumbai Mirror carried an editorial by a local (Indian) chap who'd been to Bangkok.

One of his comments was how orderly and disciplined the traffic was. Must have been to a parallel universe.

• Like 1

Whether it's motorbikes or cars, my experience is the drivers that do the stupidest of things are foreigners.

cheesy.gif , daft post. cheesy.gif

no the OP is a daft post, written by someone who has little experience of the world and its many drivers

• Like 2

Thais are terrible drivers, yet their mistakes are perfectly predictable so it's actually very easy to anticipate on Thai style traffic. Also giving signal is not done, not sure if this is good or bad. Compare with Vietnam, just a totally uncivilized mess !

• Like 1

The one big thai plague: tailgating. I saw again several examples of three to five cars, vans, SUV's following each other at 2 m distance at high speed on the fast lane... Still struggling to find a coherent reason for this behavior. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

no the OP is a daft post, written by someone who has little experience of the world and its many drivers

Joe Average, that fits quit nicely, another Newbie. I have 20 Years of Driving here at 30 40K + per year.Only hit 100 Dogs and one prat on a Mo Cycle.cheesy.gif

Anyone claiming that has not traveled very much. How about Indonesia, Philippines, not to mention places like Pakistan, India, quite a few countries in Africa, etc. Driving in Thailand is relaxed compared to those places.

CAIRO / GUATEMALA CITY / DAKKAR

Thais are bad, but they're far from the worst.

Thai's may not be the best on the planet but they're way better than anywhere in the Middle East. The bulk of driver's there (particularly Saudi) have absolutely no concept of danger, easily the deadliest and most dangerous roads I've ever driven. Driving in Thailand is a stroll in the park by comparison,

• Like 2

Joe Average, that fits quit nicely, another Newbie. I have 20 Years of Driving here at 30 40K + per year.Only hit 100 Dogs and one prat on a Mo Cycle.cheesy.gif

i may be a "newbie" as you put it, but i have a very old soul. One that can only aspire to your vast total of 792 posts.

I can understand Thai drivers are bad due to the lack of training and/or knowing the road rules, but what is the excuse for expats?

Driving in between the lanes

Riding a bike in the middle lane doing 30km/h

Indicating right but turning left and list goes on

I can understand Thai drivers are bad due to the lack of training and/or knowing the road rules, but what is the excuse for expats?

The problem for me with Thai drivers has very little to do with the lack of training and/or knowing the road rules (what road rules?) - it has to do rather with a me me me, i don't give a sh1t about you attitude. An attitude i haven't found present so much in expats... behind the wheel anyway.

You're obviously a xxxx driver then. I've driven 1/4 the miles you have but haven't hit 25 dogs. Not even one.