Potting Soil

I was wondering if any of the big shops, ie Homepro, has potting soil. I have tried to grow some peppers and tomatoes but they are lacking all the time. I have used the soil from the numerous plant and flower nurserys around Phuket, but I don't like that soil. It has a lot of fibers in it. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I use this stuff (Din Dee = "Good Soil"):

post-35489-0-46653900-1370245965_thumb.j

I don't know if it's any good as I usually use it just to top up my plant pots. But a couple of weeks ago I used it to try to grow some cacti from seeds, and nothing has happened yet! biggrin.png

But I guess cacti take a long time to grow... blink.png

• Like 1

I am under the impression that the potting soil you can readily buy locally has not been sterilized and therefore may contain fungi that will attack your plants. Try purchasing some of the local stuff and place the bags in the direct sun for a few weeks turning over every few days. The sun's heat should sterilize the soil and may help with your problems.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifGoodSoil.jpg

I don't know if it's any good as I usually use it just to top up my plant pots. But a couple of weeks ago I used it to try to grow some cacti from seeds, and nothing has happened yet! biggrin.png

I have used this soil, but it doesn't really look like soil. It is very gray and does not have the texture of soil. Have u had good results? I bought some soil from Home Pro yesterday but it was a very small pack and labeled organic. They did not have any bigger packs, so I bought three small ones for 30 baht each (30 is what the big Din Dee sell for). This soil looks more like soil. I mixed it in with the Din Dee and will see what happens. Thanks!

I am under the impression that the potting soil you can readily buy locally has not been sterilized and therefore may contain fungi that will attack your plants. Try purchasing some of the local stuff and place the bags in the direct sun for a few weeks turning over every few days. The sun's heat should sterilize the soil and may help with your problems.

Thanks, I'll try that with the two new bags I bought.

attachicon.gifGoodSoil.jpg

I have used this soil, but it doesn't really look like soil. It is very gray and does not have the texture of soil. Have u had good results? <snip>
I just top up the pots when the soil gets low so don't know how it performs on its own.

I'm still waiting for a cactus shoot to appear in the other pots. biggrin.png

When Sopa buys it from the garden shops, I'm think she asks for Din Dam,

I'll give that a try next time - Din Dam must be "Black soil" - maybe has a bit of buffalo dung in it? biggrin.png

• 2 months later...