Bank Of Thailand To Keep Close Watch On Real Estate After Seeing Signs Of Speculation

webfact

Central bank to keep close watch on real estate after seeing signs of speculation

BANGKOK, 3 June 2013 (NNT) - The Bank of Thailand (BoT) has detected signs of speculation in the real estate sector. The central bank says it will closely monitor the situation although there are still no factors that cause concern.

Despite the signs of speculative real estate investment, BoT Senior Director Mathee Supapongse said property demand in Bangkok and the vicinity was slowing down.

Commercial banks have approved loans for 6,011 units of residence in April, decreasing from March, as a result of the banks’ stricter loan regulations.

Condominium projects had started to slow down after they were urgently launched at the end of the last quarter, Mr Mathee said. A shortage of laborers and scarcity of land for condominium development also affected condominium growth at present.

According to the price index of residences in Bangkok and the vicinity, prices of land, single homes, and townhouses dropped in April.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-2013-06-03 footer_n.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices don't drop when there is speculative investment. Sounds more like the market is over-supplied and heading for a fall. This is generally good news, as it means that more people can afford to buy homes. This is one thing I really like about Thailand - the availability of cheap homes. It's a complete contrast to the UK, when most people, including the government, think it's great to have property become so expansive that many can't afford it.

The Bank of Thailand (BoT) has detected signs of speculation in the real estate sector.

Is Thaksin using inside information to buy up more land again?.......just curious.

Is The Maldives still looking to buy a vast tract of land in the Pacific rim as a bolt hole in the event that their Islamic sandcastle paradise is washed away by the sea?

There are Moo Bans and Condominium projects going up at an alarming rate in Chiang Mai. Where are they going to get all the buyers from... or is it just money laundering???

How do you launder money when heavy investing in some real estate that's not gonna be sold ?

That's like laundering with Vanish

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Well neversure and I have posted extensively about the property bubble here in LOS...But we were hailed down by most member as tin foil hat wearing lunies...go figure...

Did it say in the OP that there IS a property bubble?

Must re-read again I guess.

There are Moo Bans and Condominium projects going up at an alarming rate in Chiang Mai. Where are they going to get all the buyers from... or is it just money laundering???

How do you launder money when heavy investing in some real estate that's not gonna be sold ?

Load the expenses, pay no tax. Wash the cash on property.

But if there will be no buyer, as the poster predicts, then there is no cash .

Prices don't drop when there is speculative investment. Sounds more like the market is over-supplied and heading for a fall. This is generally good news, as it means that more people can afford to buy homes. This is one thing I really like about Thailand - the availability of cheap homes. It's a complete contrast to the UK, when most people, including the government, think it's great to have property become so expansive that many can't afford it.

I think the UK is a bit different. There's not as much land and planning laws are pretty strict to stop loss of countryside

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

Two months of a year Chiang Mai is inhabitable (pollution), must be a hidden agenda .

• Like 1

But if there will be no buyer, as the poster predicts, then there is no cash .

The buyers are washing cash.

Chumphon, too. There is a big development going up. I dunno, maybe this will become the new Las Vegas or Miami?

Chumphon, too. There is a big development going up. I dunno, maybe this will become the new Las Vegas or Miami?

When Thaksin is El Presidente and Shin Mai is the new capital of Thailand these will look like good investments. wai2.gif

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Well neversure and I have posted extensively about the property bubble here in LOS...But we were hailed down by most member as tin foil hat wearing lunies...go figure...

Many won't see it until after it happens. All you can do is warn. Even now with such news we have scoffers. And yes we have long predicted, and the time is getting closer.

• Like 1

I strongly suggest that you go out tomorrow and buy about a dozen condos for investment. You can't lose. After all, real estate always goes up, and no matter how many units are built or how many vacancies there are, and no matter how many of the units are being bought on speculation by other speculators, you can't lose. No matter how much foreign money comes in to be laundered, it would be very nice of you to help out. No matter that banks will be under water if the value of their loan collateral drops due to a drop in real estate prices, you can't lose. In fact, buy some Thai owned bank stock while you're at it.

Just remember. Real estate always goes up and never crashes. It never has, anywhere. Pay no attention to all of the signs of a bubble, and pay no attention even to news that the banks and government are concerned. You can take that to the bank.

See, I love you so much I just want to help out. coffee1.gif

It almost sounds as if you're sarcastic and have bad experience of such a disaster where the banks xxxxxx up big time. Where you from ?

Edited by metisdead

I strongly suggest that you go out tomorrow and buy about a dozen condos for investment. You can't lose. After all, real estate always goes up, and no matter how many units are built or how many vacancies there are, and no matter how many of the units are being bought on speculation by other speculators, you can't lose. No matter how much foreign money comes in to be laundered, it would be very nice of you to help out. No matter that banks will be under water if the value of their loan collateral drops due to a drop in real estate prices, you can't lose. In fact, buy some Thai owned bank stock while you're at it.

Just remember. Real estate always goes up and never crashes. It never has, anywhere. Pay no attention to all of the signs of a bubble, and pay no attention even to news that the banks and government are concerned. You can take that to the bank.

See, I love you so much I just want to help out. coffee1.gif

It is with a certain level of reluctance that I feel I should mention to you the mere chance, the really minor hitch, the almost unimaginable minute possibility that condo's get prepaid but not build. Only on the off chance we have a crash of course. Hardly ever happens, certainly not while this government is run by knowledgeble, capable people with potential.

BTW I did notice that most of the annoyingly distracting rusty frameworks from 1997 in and around Bangkok have been removed by now. That's good. They were a real eyesore and tended to distract investors looking around. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2