Retirement "o" And "o-A" Visa's - What Do I Do

I have just found out that I will be able to retire from work when I reach the age of 55. I will be 55 on 28th August so my last day of work should be the 30th August. And I plan to retire to Thailand.

I believe that I have to apply for a non-immigrant "O" visa in the UK. And when I travel to Thailand I have to visit an immigration office and apply for a retirement visa. I believe that I have to apply using a "O-A" visa form. I also believe that I have to have 800,000 baht in a thai bank account. And the money has to be in the thai bank account 3 months before I can apply for the retirement visa.

So I plan to send the money to my thai account at the beginning of September so I should be able to apply for the retirement visa in December.

When I go to live in Thailand I plan to rent a house. I want to see if I like living in Thailand.

So when I first fly out to Thailand I plan to book a condo for a couple of months. And during this time I will apply for my "O-A" visa. And look for a house to rent.

So the question is will immigration be happy that I am just booked into a condo for 2 months when I apply for a retirement visa

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternatively you could get a 12 month multi-entry non-O from Hull and you could stay up to 15 months here without the need to get a retirement extension from immigration. That would give you plenty of time to see if you like it or not. You'd need to do a visa run every 90 days. To qualify for that visa you need;

6) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged between 50 and 64 years
Evidence required:
a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £1200 per month or lumpsum of minimum £20,000

Alternatively you could get a 12 month multi-entry non-O from Hull and you could stay up to 15 months here without the need to get a retirement extension from immigration. That would give you plenty of time to see if you like it or not. You'd need to do a visa run every 90 days. To qualify for that visa you need;

Evidence required:

a) Copy of Bank Statement showing income of minimum £1200 per month or lumpsum of minimum £20,000

a) SHOULD READ..... 60,000baht per month, lump sum of 800,000b OR A COMBINATION OF THE TWO. Edited by DILLIGAD

O-A visas only available in your home country. NEVER in Thailand.

O-A visa is OPTIONAL. You do NOT need one to retire in Thailand.

In Thailand, retired people apply for annual extensions based on retirement.

If using the 800K in Thai bank account, the money must be there for TWO months for the first extension, and THREE months for subsequent extensions.

As far as your proof of address in Thailand which is needed for extensions, rules vary by office and are subject to change.

If you choose to apply for an O-A visa in the UK, you can qualify showing money but in that case the money will be in the UK! If you do this, be sure you get a MULTIPLE ENTRY O-A as this will proof much more useful. Basically used right it can be stretched for an initial TWO years instead of one. If you start with an O-A, EVENTUALLY you will need to enter the system in Thailand applying for extensions like everyone else.

Be aware there is no PERMANENT retirement visa for Thailand and your status NEVER improves. You will be required to do extensions every year, qualifying fresh every year, for as long as you stay in Thailand. Just so you know going in. That's the deal. This is important to know so you can PREPARE your financial matters so that you will be able to continuously do NEW extensions, every year.

Edited by Jingthing

Evidence required:

a) SHOULD READ..... 60,000baht per month, lump sum of 800,000b OR A COMBINATION OF THE TWO.

No, that is for a retirement extension here, above is for an O visa from the UK.

The OP it seems is interested in retirement. I would suggest concentrating on the options to do retirement here. Those are basically start with an O-A visa from the UK or start in the system in Thailand with an initial retirement extension. For the initial retirement extension in Thailand you need to START with an O visa, could be a single entry. Some people enter on tourist visas and CONVERT that to an O visa IN Thailand as part of the retirement extension process. That is not an option in ALL offices. Some people get their initial single entry O visa in a neighboring country (Laos/Malaysia). There are different paths to the same goal.

• Like 1

Easiest path to follow is: Get O visa in home country, come to Thailand. Open bank account, deposit B800.000 if you want to follow the bank account path for proof of income.

Go to immigration during the last 30 days of current permission to stay, ask for an extension based on retirement . See the rules for clarification.

2.22 In the case of
a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more
than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than
800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing
date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that
amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less
than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

If using income you need a letter from your Embassy verifying income amount.
If using savings you need a letter from your bank plus up to date bank book.

A `VISA` allows you to travel to a country and is given outside a country only, inside the country one can only get an extension of stay. Use the right phrases when asking questions, it saves time and there is less confusion.

Thanks for the info guys

At the moment I'm planning on apply for a "O" Visa at the Hull consulate. I can show them that I have the necessary funds in my bank account. I then plan to fly to Thailand and go to an immigration office and apply for the "O-A" retirement visa which I know has be be renewed every 12 months.

My concern was that when I first flew out I might have a problem at the immigration office because I will only have booked a condo for the 1st couple of months I am in Thailand. During the first couple of months I plan to look for a house to rent.

Evidence required:

a) SHOULD READ..... 60,000baht per month, lump sum of 800,000b OR A COMBINATION OF THE TWO.

No, that is for a retirement extension here, above is for an O visa from the UK.

And it's 65.000 THB and not 60.000 THB wai.gif

Thanks for the info guys

At the moment I'm planning on apply for a "O" Visa at the Hull consulate. I can show them that I have the necessary funds in my bank account. I then plan to fly to Thailand and go to an immigration office and apply for the "O-A" retirement visa which I know has be be renewed every 12 months.

My concern was that when I first flew out I might have a problem at the immigration office because I will only have booked a condo for the 1st couple of months I am in Thailand. During the first couple of months I plan to look for a house to rent.

So you are applying for a SINGLE ENTRY O visa at Hull? That's all you need.

In Thailand, sorry, again, it is IMPOSSIBLE to apply for an O-A visa.

You will do yourself a service to put that out of your mind. Going to a Thai immigration office and demanding an O-A visa is something that can never happen.

With your O visa from Hull, during the last 30 days of your 90 day stay on that O visa, you will be applying for an ANNUAL RETIREMENT EXTENSION at your local Thai immigration office. The 800K in funds as that is what you will be using must be in a Thai bank account for at least TWO MONTHS before you show up for your application to do the annual extension. (In later years, three months.)

You do not "renew" your O-A visa which you will never have in the first place.

Each year you apply for a NEW annual extension based on retirement.

That is a good question and concern you have about the residence in Thailand. First of all, where will you be living in Thailand? With that info, perhaps you can get more specific info on the current policies at that LOCAL immigration office regarding proof of residence. The enforcement policies tend to vary.

Edited by Jingthing

You can apply for an OA Visa (Multy Entry) in London (can only be obtained at the Thai Embassy London and only in person).

You must supply - Bank Statements and or Pension Statement outlining your income.

- Medical Certificate ( Can be downloaded from the Thai Embassy website)

- Police Report. ( Collect form from your local Police Station, return and Scotland Yard will reply to you direct)

All to be notarized by a Notary Public and submitted with the forms (Again download from web site) Submit day 1 collect next day.

No Border Runs - Report to Immigration every 90 days.

An exit and return prior to the expiry of this visa will give you another 12 mths... So almost 2yrs Without having to show funds in Thailand.

This is an advantage if you need a few years to make a realistic judgement.

Sounds complicated but easier than you think, once you get your head around it. I did it this way so cannot be too difficult.

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 1

Living in a condo shouldn't be a problem. Immigration will probably ask for proof of your address. That can usually be done by showing utility bills in your name, rental contract, or a letter from your embassy.

Good luck.

The O-A obtained in the UK is an OPTION for you. But it is an optional option. You don't need an O-A to retire in Thailand. Best idea is to educate yourself about the pros and cons of using the O-A and then choosing the best option for YOU.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys

You will do yourself a service to put that out of your mind. Going to a Thai immigration office and demanding an O-A visa is something that can never happen.

With your O visa from Hull, during the last 30 days of your 90 day stay on that O visa, you will be applying for an ANNUAL RETIREMENT EXTENSION at your local Thai immigration office. The 800K in funds as that is what you will be using must be in a Thai bank account for at least TWO MONTHS before you show up for your application to do the annual extension. (In later years, three months.)

That is a good question and concern you have about the residence in Thailand. First of all, where will you be living in Thailand? With that info, perhaps you can get more specific info on the current policies at that LOCAL immigration office regarding proof of residence. The enforcement policies tend to vary.

Can I ask why I wont get the O-A visa. I phoned the Thai consulate in Hull and they told me that I can go the immigration office in Pattaya/Jomtien and get my O-A retirement visa

The O-A obtained in the UK is an OPTION for you. But it is an optional option. You don't need an O-A to retire in Thailand. Best idea is to educate yourself about the pros and cons of using the O-A and then choosing the best option for YOU.

I've been told by the Thai consulate that I cannot get the O-A visa in the UK. One can only get it in Thailand. One of the stipulations for getting the O-A visa is that you get a thai doctor to say that you have never had any tropical diseses

Thanks for the info guys

Can I ask why I wont get the O-A visa. I phoned the Thai consulate in Hull and they told me that I can go the immigration office in Pattaya/Jomtien and get my O-A retirement visa

I can't tell you why. I can only tell you with 100 percent certainty, that info is totally wrong. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get an O-A visa in Thailand. ONLY from your home country. If you think there are better experts in England for what happens in Thailand than people with long term direct experience about what actually happens in Thailand, you've got a LOT to learn, I'm afraid. This is a terminology issue actually. What you get in Thailand are RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS. Not retirement visas, not O-A visas, ONLY retirement extensions. If you can't accept this information from me, believe me, you'll accept it someday because it's accurate.

By the way, another option at Jomtien is getting an O visa there (not an O-A) and ALSO a retirement extension.

Such as converting from a tourist visa. Probably a better idea to arrive with an O visa of some kind, either a single, multiple, or an O-A though. With an O-A multiple from England you can avoid needing to apply for your first extension for about TWO years, but that path is never required.

If you want an O-A, try the THAI EMBASSY in England. Again, no O-A visas in Thailand. Period.

Edited by Jingthing

If you really want an OA visa just apply to the Thai Embassy in London. You will have to show police clearance. a medical certificate, adequate finances and prove your over 50 years of age.

Or you can follow the advise given here.

You cannot obtain an OA visa in Thailand

Edited by jrtmedic
  • Like 2

As far as your address question, you MIGHT have a problem at Jomtien. I'm not sure. I think I recall a recent report that they were looking for LONG leases from renters doing retirement extensions. You should pursue this question. Personally I'm a condo owner so no such issues.

If you really want an OA visa just apply to the Thai Embassy in London. You will have to show police clearance. a medical certificate and adequate finances.

Yes for the OA you need get a medical form from the embassy and have it done in England. Police report also needed.

For retirement extensions in Thailand you don't need ANY kind of medical form from any country, and no police clearance form other.

You've been provided misinformation from Hull. It's not the first time nor the last. You've come to the right place to get that misinformation corrected.

If I were you I would learn about the pros and cons of starting with an O-A vs. not, so you can make an informed choice best suited to your particular situation.

Edited by Jingthing

If you really want an OA visa just apply to the Thai Embassy in London. You will have to show police clearance. a medical certificate and adequate finances.

Yes for the OA you need get a medical form from the embassy and have it done in England. Police report also needed.

For retirement extensions in Thailand you don't need ANY kind of medical form from any country, and no police clearance form other.

You've been provided misinformation from Hull. It's not the first time nor the last. You've come to the right place to get that misinformation corrected.

If I were you I would learn about the pros and cons of starting with an O-A vs. not, so you can make an informed choice best suited to your particular situation.

Thanks for the info

I've just looked at the London thai embassy website and it says the following about applying for a O-A visa

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or

Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the

Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center

B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Strange how the Hull consulate has got it wrong. There website is wrong and I even phoned the consulate in Hull and they have got it wrong. Earlier today I actually phoned up the Embassy in London and got through to the visa section but could not get an answer.

So would you recomend a O multi - entry visa for Thailand.

As JT said: "This is a terminology issue actually."

As are so many of the difficulties and problems outlined on this forum. Get the words and phrases correct, and so many of the conundrums fade!

Unfortunately it's not unusual for Thai official sites to get their own rules mixed up.

I last applied for a retirement extension ( of a non-immigrant O visa obtained from Hull) in January this year - it's not a difficult process.

As has been pointed out: when you apply for a retirement extension, you have first obtained a non-immigrant O visa. This can be single entry, allowing you to stay 90 days from the time that you enter Thailand, or multi-entry, that allows you a 90-day stay each time you enter over the one year period that the visa is valid.

Now when you apply for a retirement extension you are in Thailand. You are saying : I am in the last 30 days of the period that this visa allows me to stay in Thailand. Will you allow me to stay an extra year on this same visa, as I am over 50, have had 800,000B in a Thai Bank account for 60 days, and have an address here? If they approve, you have a retirement extension. You do not have a new visa, and in fact once your old visa "valid for entry until" date has passed , you do not have a current valid visa at all, and must apply for re-entry permits to be allowed back into Thailand during your extension period. You can keep asking for one year extensions of your permission to stay every year after that, without ever getting a new visa.

However, you must apply for an O-A visa in your home country because it is a visa, not an extension. If approved, you get a special type of multi-entry visa that is valid for a year, but allows you one year permissions to stay each time you enter, not 90 days. So you can enter on the first day of your visa's validity, stay 364 days, then leave and re-enter on the last day of your visa's validity, and stay another year. So this type of visa can give you a two year stay before needing to apply for an extension.

The O-A is more of a hassle to get because you can only apply at an Embassy, not a consulate, and, unlike the extension method, you must provide the Embassy with a medical certificate that says you don't have syphilis and other diseases, and also a police certificate saying you have no criminal record, in addition to proving that you have 800, 000B in a bank in your home country.

It is much easier to apply for a non-immigrant O visa from Hull, (you need to find out what's currently available and what the criteria are) then come over and do the extension procedure. It means opening a bank account here and depositing the money for the required period and that's pretty much the sole requirement.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info

I've just looked at the London thai embassy website and it says the following about applying for a O-A visa

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or

Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the

Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center

B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Strange how the Hull consulate has got it wrong. There website is wrong and I even phoned the consulate in Hull and they have got it wrong. Earlier today I actually phoned up the Embassy in London and got through to the visa section but could not get an answer.

So would you recomend a O multi - entry visa for Thailand.

A little over two years ago, I was doing just about the same thing you are doing (except from the US). I found that I had a much better experience dealing with the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. I retrieved the requirements from the Embassy website for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay). Put together the packet with all the required documents and FedEx'd it off to the Embassy with a FedEx pre-paid return envelope. Received my passport back in a little over two weeks with no problems at all. I would recommend you deal with the Thai Embassy in London instead of any consulates.

When you get your O-A visa (this is the one you get in your home country) it will have a "Date of Issue" and a "Enter Before" date giving you one year to enter Thailand. Upon entering Thailand you will receive a stamp allowing you a one-year stay. You will need to do the 90-day notification of residence during that year. A few days prior to the "Enter Before" date, you can take a quick trip to a border crossing, exit Thailand and then enter back into Thailand. You will then get another stamp for one-year stay. So getting the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) from your home country will allow you (almost) two years in Thailand. I was staying in Chiang Mai and did my "border run" to Mae Sai

Keep in mind people on this thread are talking about two different options:

One, a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay). This is an actual visa that you obtain from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Two, a "Permission to stay for Retirement purposes". This you obtain from an immigration office within Thailand.

You will find people that are partial to each. At the time, I compared the cost of each method and, for me, it worked out about the same. For me, I liked the O-A visa because I could get everything done before I traveled and I did not need to transfer a large amount of money into a Thai bank. But to each his own. Whatever way works for you.

• Like 1

First choice is between starting with an O-A from England or starting another way.

If you choose to apply for an O-A, yes definitely the multiple entry O-A.

Be clear you are not required to EVER have any O-A to retire legally in Thailand.

That is only a choice.

This isn't a one size fits all decision.

If you choose to start with an O visa, a SINGLE ENTRY O visa is the logical choice for most people like you who intend to arrive in Thailand and then apply for an annual extension based on retirement.

BTW, if you have any INCOME that can be used to qualify as well, either fully or partially, and in that case the money seasoning rules for Thai bank account money do not apply.

• Like 1

First choice is between starting with an O-A from England or starting another way.

If you choose to apply for an O-A, yes definitely the multiple entry O-A.

Be clear you are not required to EVER have any O-A to retire legally in Thailand.

That is only a choice.

This isn't a one size fits all decision.

If you choose to start with an O visa, a SINGLE ENTRY O visa is the logical choice for most people like you who intend to arrive in Thailand and then apply for an annual extension based on retirement.

BTW, if you have any INCOME that can be used to qualify as well, either fully or partially, and in that case the money seasoning rules for Thai bank account money do not apply.

Jingthing sorry for being a bit thick but I'm not sure what you mean at the end of your reply.

Basically at the end of August I can retire from work with a pension and a lump sum. So I was thinking of using both the income and lump sum to apply for a retirement visa.

I am planning on renting my house in England and renting something in Pattaya or surrounding area. So my pension and rental money for renting my house would fund future retiremnt visa's

For each retirement extension application in Thailand, three choices of qualification:

1. 800K in Thai bank, seasoned two months first time, three months following times

OR

2. 65K income proven by a letter from your EMBASSY in Thailand. Each embassy has it's own rules on what documents they require to issue this letter. Get info about the British rules for this. Pension income and rental income acceptable to Thai immigration. (No 800K needed in bank!)

OR

3. COMBO METHOD

800K total COMBINED with Thai bank account money PLUS income proven by embassy letter.

For example, income of 500K plus Thai bank account of 300K. Using the combo method no seasoning of bank account money needed. Embassy letter needed.

For the O-A financial qualifications in England, in that case follow the rules on the embassy website. That should be accurate.

BTW, if you go for an O-A it would be a big mistake to not get a multiple entry as the multiple entry benefit of stretching that for 2 years is likely the most significant BENEFIT of choosing the O-A path.

O-A visas (from England for you) are commonly called retirement visas. You don't need an O-A visa or a retirement visa. Only an option.

Once in the Thai system, you apply for new annual extensions based on retirement every year. You don't apply for new retirement visas every year.

For example I started with a single entry visa many years ago from the USA. Since then I have applied for annual extensions based on retirement every year. I never had a retirement visa, never had an O-A, and never needed one. The only visa I have had in all those years is that single entry O, obtained so long ago.

Also note if for some reason you can't obtain a single entry O visa in England (perhaps Hull only wants to sell you a multiple O) then you don't even need ANY O visa to get started! Instead, you can enter on a 60 day TOURIST VISA and convert that to an O visa (never an O-A) at the Jomtien immigration office as long as you can also show you will be qualified to apply for an annual retirement extension as the second step of the process.

Back to your proof of residence question. I think you MIGHT have real reason to be concerned about that as I mentioned before. Because of that concern, that might be one of the reasons to consider applying for the O-A MULTIPLE in England because then you won't need to apply for a retirement extension at Jomtien for about two years. But you would need to do address reports every 90 days so you need to keep current on what Jomtien requires for that as well. These kind of rules change over time and between offices but Jomtien at least is a large office so somewhat easier to keep updated.

Edited by Jingthing

This is way too much ado about nothing -

1. Hull sells visas and can not sell an O-A visa.

2. Hull is a Consulate and has no knowledge of Immigration inside Thailand (who provide extensions of stay).

3. The Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate section works under Ministry of Foreign Affairs and has no knowledge of immigration extensions of stay. But they do provide the O-A visa.

4. Immigration requires a non immigrant visa entry, such as "O" to extend one year inside Thailand for retirement.

So to start you have 3 normal and cost effective options:

1. Obtain single entry non immigrant O visa in UK. Transfer financials and extend at immigration.

2. Obtain multi entry non immigrant O-A visa from Embassy in UK. Financials can be in UK for several years.

3. Travel without visa or on tourist visa and then convert for 2,000 baht at immigration inside Thailand with proof of financials in Thailand.