How Can Get More Wifi Bandwidth With Chrome/linux?

aarn

Help please, my housemates are sucking up the wifi bandwidth with gaming and livestreaming (Thai) TV.

Any tips as to how to increase my share?

Using Chrome, Lubuntu 13.04, i7-3610 QM processor, ssd with 8Gb RAM.

Thanks in advance

If your router has QoS filtering you can prioritise according to type of traffic or by MAC address.

Your housemates won't be happy though. Guess you can just blame the ISP. If they don't believe you, you can point to all the posts on this forum.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the best option - ditching the housemates - not on (at present...).

Linux users might like to read on. Searching to improve wifi speed, I found this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47766

Opened a terminal and typed in [~$] iwconfig

looking at the output, it gave a clue for improvement so typed in [~$] sudo leafpad /etc/rc.local

then altered the document by adding the line: iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

as per the thread. Seems (???) to have improved speed.

Another tool (for linux) is iftop ([~$] sudo apt-get install iftop), which is available in synaptic package manager.

Designed to let the user see who/what is logged into the network, and how much these commensals/parasites are sucking up.

I can bring up the interface, but it is static, must be missing a few dependencies... sigh. AA

if your chipset and your AP are wireless-N capable then you're just reducing speed here. the kernel (using minstrel rate control algorithm) should handle this just fine for you, automagically. as a side note, adding the command to rc.local is not enough, you have to actually run it or you have to reboot. anyway, this won't solve you're problem. one thing came to mind that you could do: dns poisoning them so they can't reach their games servers or streaming sites but that's a bit rude. i could post some tricks to reduce latency and bufferbloat if you want but again, it won't solve the actual problem, you need to do something at the router level.

Edited by urandom

What router are you using? I have had some luck with a certain tomato firmware mod on a Linksys WRT54GL. This mod will sit on other routers and the QoS settings were perfected for a 400 apartment block. I have applied it to the main router in an 18 apartment block and every user has reported a better experience overall. The users tend to YouTube, Skype and general surf with a little torrenting thrown in.

If you are interested then I can let you know the exact name and release number of the mod and give you a link.

• Like 2

if your chipset and your AP are wireless-N capable then you're just reducing speed here. the kernel (using minstrel rate control algorithm) should handle this just fine for you, automagically. as a side note, adding the command to rc.local is not enough, you have to actually run it or you have to reboot. anyway, this won't solve you're problem. one thing came to mind that you could do: dns poisoning them so they can't reach their games servers or streaming sites but that's a bit rude. i could post some tricks to reduce latency and bufferbloat if you want but again, it won't solve the actual problem, you need to do something at the router level.

unfortunately there is sometimes a problem with linux wireless-n support and in some cases disabling N and reducing it to G only results in substantially better performance. It's been a problem for years and I don't know when, or if, it will ever be completely handled.

• Like 1