Tuning Your Own Ecu

I don't think the PC3 was out in 2000- I'm pretty sure I used a PC2- it was very easy to load maps, though- I loved that bike and came close to buying a 2012 over here, but the 12R really grabbed me (though as you say it cost way more than it's really worth).

post-176811-0-32934700-1376829906_thumb.

Bringing in a bike as 'parts' can be tricky- it helps to know someone who can help smooth the importation process.

There's already a map for E85 for the 14R- it's supposed to make excellent power, but mileage drops something like 30% due to the different burning characteristics of the ethanol content.

I'll dyno the bike someday, but I'm not letting anyone dyno-tune it- I have little faith in the tuners here when it comes to my bike. 14Rs with similar mods and tunes are making 200-205rwhp.

Who cares about the milage? E85 is how much? It's gotta be 50% cheaper than E20?

Which year 14R'S support E85? I haven't seen any recent honda's that support E85 in the manual and I wouldn't even try it with an imported or older bike.

None of them support E85 from the factory- I'm referring to an ECU tune for the bike developed by Don Guhl, who has been working on the 14R for years.

Here's a video from May- he's probably improved the tune since then:

Ah that's not what I meant, I meant physically support (Fuel lines etc), ECU support is no big deal these days thanks to fuel injection, bikes can support most fuels or be easily mapped to do so. I don't know a lot about E85, but E10 to E20 is a big jump in bikes and the physical support like coated neoprene fuel lines and what not. This would be my worry, how do you know imported bikes and bikes that are a few years old and older imported bikes can support it? I think even the 2012 CBR 150 doesn't have E20 in the manual but the 2013 250 did and the Click, no sign of E85 though.

Lad Phrao 101 has E85 I think and a gasoline station on Lad Phrao road around the Mall and Soi 101 has it for sure.

Great thread thanks, something about mapping bikes and dyno locations in thailand could be sticky'd.

My next bike will be a imported R6 or a 07-09 Thai R 1and i want to be running E85 with a custom map. The sooner we get rid of Benzine fuels in Thailand, the better imo, not just the pollution but the performance and price too.

Edited by Bingo66

The 14R can support E10 (95 gasohol is recommended) so I would imagine the fuel lines can handle any percentage of ethanol (though I wouldn't want to leave the bike sitting for months on end...)- the manual does state 10% ethanol is the limit, but I think that's due to the tune and not the hardware (either it's alcohol resistant or it's not)- I think any bike made in the last few years by one of the Big Four would be similarly outfitted- benzine is on the way out in most of their major markets.

I could be wrong, though- I've looked into it a bit, but not much past my actual application- the E85 tune was just something I found interesting, not something I planned to try out.

With a bike more than a few years old, unless gasohol is specifically approved by the manufacturer, I'd upgrade my fuel system before using it- an '07 might be problematic, but maybe not.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

True... another issue worth considering with higher alcohol content fuels is its propensity to hold water in solution... a definite point of consideration in this humid climate. I've never seen so many fuel tanks eating themselves alive from the inside out until I came here - one can only imagine that is also true of all of the other components of the fuel system...?

The 14R can support E10 (95 gasohol is recommended) so I would imagine the fuel lines can handle any percentage of ethanol (though I wouldn't want to leave the bike sitting for months on end...)- the manual does state 10% ethanol is the limit, but I think that's due to the tune and not the hardware (either it's alcohol resistant or it's not)- I think any bike made in the last few years by one of the Big Four would be similarly outfitted- benzine is on the way out in most of their major markets.

I could be wrong, though- I've looked into it a bit, but not much past my actual application- the E85 tune was just something I found interesting, not something I planned to try out.

With a bike more than a few years old, unless gasohol is specifically approved by the manufacturer, I'd upgrade my fuel system before using it- an '07 might be problematic, but maybe not.

If you're interested, I have an rubber compatibility chart that might be helpful in future system rubber o-ring & hose purchases?

edite: wrong word used

Edited by Garry