"software Police"

Simmo

Occasionally I help out a friends company with their computer / network troubles.

Yesterday when I was there chatting with one of the secretaries she told me an interesting story. According to her , there are , what she could only describe as "Software Police" and they might be coming to his office soon as the business office has just moved to a new location.

Apparently they can come to anyone's office and check you're licensed for Windows, Office, Photoshop etc. Sounds pretty unbelievable to me but she was adamant it could happen.

Anyway it has me a little worried for my friend as he has a network of around 20 PC's & laptops all of them with no licenses for XP, Photoshop, AutoCAD , Office etc etc.

What would be the legal situation, wouldn't they need some kind of court order to search your business?

Anyway just wanted to know if anyone had heard similar stories or experiences?

Yes, its true, it happened here about 2 years ago. From what I have heard, microsoft sends a representative to the local police where they (at least here) hit up the internet cafes for unlicensed computers. Any computer without a legal license is confiscated.

Yes, its true, it happened here about 2 years ago. From what I have heard, microsoft sends a representative to the local police where they (at least here) hit up the internet cafes for unlicensed computers. Any computer without a legal license is confiscated.

and there is not only "software police" acting! We had two times last half year a raid of "representatives" of different companies checking if the Karaoke songs have been paid for or not. Somebody spies whilst consuming something in the restaurant and calls out by cellphone the rest of the equipe waiting with a police officer around the corner; one of them starts taking pictures inside and some other lower levelled boys are ready to demount the entire equipment and to carry it to their cars. So big brothers everywhere nowadays! :o

The owner has to pay a fine of around Baht 40.000 on the spot, if not deported to the police station awaiting a court case!

Edited by Toni

and there is not only "software police" acting! We had two times last half year a raid of "representatives" of different companies checking if the Karaoke songs have been paid for or not. Somebody spies whilst consuming something in the restaurant and calls out by cellphone the rest of the equipe waiting with a police officer around the corner; one of them starts taking pictures inside and some other lower levelled boys are ready to demount the entire equipment and to carry it to their cars. So big brothers everywhere nowadays! :o

The owner has to pay a fine of around Baht 40.000 on the spot, if not deported to the police station awaiting a court case!

Read also in General Topics: "Be carefull: raids of companies occupied with music-rights!"

The software police do exist- they visited the company where my GF works a few months ago. They have approximately 100 PC's, and the total of fines levied was in the neighborhood of 3 million baht.

Apparently they don't need any court order or documentation- they are entitled to come and inspect any computer as they please.

I've heard of them visiting other companies as well, but usually larger outfits where the potential "take" is high. I've never heard of them visiting a small office or home.