Buying New Fridge - Panasonic, Hitachi Or Mitsubishi Or...?

2ge

When I bought anything in the past and now I always look for "made in". I went to buy a fridge and washer in 2011 b4 the flood. I searched and searched for anything not made in Thailand. I got lucky and found the last of the "made in Koreas". This was right at the transition to EVERYTHING made in Thailand. Funny because the display washer said made in Korea and they shipped me made in Thailand. The salesman himself had to pick it up himself and deliver the "made in Korea" floor model. I didn't care that it had been sitting on the floor. that sales guy knew I needed those Made in Koreas. He showed me the only 2 fridges made elsewhere. There was a 60,000 made in Japan and an 18xxx made in Korea. I took the Samsung made in korea. So everyone out there check the back of your fridges. Where are they made? I bet we got some old made in Korea Samsungs. You guys are lucky. Yes these are sweet gems if tip top quality. sadly the last of the Made in Korea Samsung fridges and washers were destroyed in the 2011 floods just 2 weeks after mine was delivered

not sure if those Made in Japan 60,000 baht fridges are still available but they might be. You need to ask a knowledgeable salesman. I was surprised how this dude pointed me at the only 3 in all of the biggest Home Pro in Thailand after I checked most to no avail. I would splurge the extra 30K for the Made in Japan IF it's still out there but somehow I think it is now de-funk-ed

For me money was no object. I simply wanted Made in Korea or Made in Japan

Oh and on that Made in Korea Samsung washer, Home Pro just wanted me to eat the Made in Thailand one that was delivered. For some reason they fought tooth and nail to not let me have the floor model Made in Korea. They got the top manager in the place and I battled and finally they had to agree to let me have it

I do this with everything I buy because I know eventually everything will be made in China or here. When I went to US I bought a Canon pocket digicam on each trip the past 3 years that were Made in Japan. Hard to find that stuff and they cost $300 each but they are top quality. Quality oozes off those suckers. They feel solid. On a sad note, this year I had to buy a made in China laptop in spite of paying $2000 for it. That really sucked but no others were available. At least it was bought in the USA. no no no never buy a puter in Thailand, ever

Edited by Nana Cowboy

correct have the freezer on the bottom and when you marry a small thai lady easy for her to get into the freezer same with front end loader washing machines think of the future smile.png

But check if the underneath drawer has a seperate thermostat for the freezer. The mitsu does but the others just use the one and redirect the air from one to the other thus you can have frozen milk in the fridge and mushy peas in the freezer.

Buying a can of soda. Which should I buy? Spent a few hours on the internet and have decided that coke or pepsi might be best. Coke is slightly more expensive, but seems to be what ppl prefer. Anyone know the resale value or how long they last? Being a major decision I have been thinking about this for months but I simply cannot make up my mind. I really do not want to buy the wrong one and regret it. Help pls.

May I ask why you don't want to buy a Samsung fridge ? We got 2, including the huge ameracan style one with the water and ice cube dispensers , and they have been performing superbly since day 1.

• 2 weeks later...

quite a lot of replies. So, this week I am going to buy a fridge. For Samsung - I just dont want it, I read global reviews for Samsung fridges, they are really bad. Also LG - it was really big discount in Home Pro for american style one, but LG - no thanks. I saw interesting fridge made by Siemens (oh well, I guess made in Thailand...),

Siemens KG57NAI10J

http://www.siemens-home.com/th/product-showroom/cooling/refrigerator/2-door-refrigerator/KG57NAI10J.html?source=browse

I like freezer part, much more better than Panasonic is. For saving energy, I doubt there is any A+++ fridges to choose, this Siemens and others are just A category (in Europe it is the worst category). I did some research about Siemens brand in fridge category and it should be good quality. Well...I hope also in Thailand.

Tomorrow I will call to APL Logistics near Bang Na, and try to find out if they have some on stock. If nope, I just take one from Home Pro.

Thanks for all the responses!

• 11 months later...

I know it's months later from this original thread...but still on the same subject.

Our frig at home is giving out, so I'm out shopping for a new one. Thus far, from what I've seen....

Samsung seems to offer all inverter style models, which have energy cost stickers that show about half the price in electricity for a year of the other comparable non-inverter models. But the compressor warranty is only 5 years.

Hitachi seems to be the brand most prevalent in the appliance and electronics stores, and they are very prominently advertising 10-year warranty on their compressors. But no inverters, at least in their models up to the 14 c.f. range, which is where we're looking.

There's been quite a lot of discussion in the air con threads about the value and savings of inverter air con units, which usually are considerably more expensive than the traditional models.

But to my surprise, the Samsung refrigs with inverters we saw are very competitively priced for comparable sizes to the other brands non-inverter models. Between the sales price and the savings on electricity, it kind of makes a compelling case.

But I'm kind of wondering, why are their inverter frigs lower priced than the comparable non-inverter models than other brands -- which is exactly the opposite of what occurs with inverter vs. non-inverter air con units? Is there something else afoot with the Samsung refrigerators???

BTW, my wife has a close friend who has some connection to LG, and when my wife spoke with her, she warned us off getting an LG frig and suggested we consider a different brand.

I have a Kelvinator bought in 1952 still going strong, had a new thermostat once................well ok its my Dads in the UK

I got a Panasonic no problems yet 3 years old

He also has a Purnell Spin dryer from the same 1950s era I think!

They dont make em like they used to!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a Kelvinator bought in 1952 still going strong, had a new thermostat once................well ok its my Dads in the UK

I got a Panasonic no problems yet 3 years old

He also has a Purnell Spin dryer from the same 1950s era I think!

They dont make em like they used to!

You are right! The new ones don't use cancerous refrigerants and CFCs that deplete the ozone layer - ohhh for the good old days!