Claiming Back Vat At Airport

MrZM

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/who.html#link01

Note:

Goods must be purchased from stores displaying the "VAT REFUND FOR TOURISTS" sign.

Luxury goods, such as jewelry, gold ornaments, watch, glasses, or pen, must once more be inspected by the Revenue officers at the VAT refund office at the departure lounge after passport control.

So assuming this in the form of finished goods, i.e. a 2-baht chain for example, that seems like it should qualify as "gold ornaments" or "jewelry"? Not sure how many gold shops issue the VAT paperwork though?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/342488-vat-refund-primer/

Edited by lomatopo

WARNING

Ensure you are given all of the paper that will allow you to claim the VAT refund.

Ensure they have spelt your name correctly.

When you arrive at the airport, go to the checkin desks and checkin as normal, you will need your boarding card.

DO NOT GO THROUGH SECURITY !!!

Instead locate the customs office and get your items inspected, they will give you ever more paperwork and stamp it.

Now you can go through security. Go to the VAT refund desk on the other site of the airport and claim your refund. Ask for the amount to be credit to a Visa card if possible as this shows up as a credit in around 24-48 hours. Theres little point getting it in baht unless you intend to return to Thailand imminently. Bank transfers take forever too.

The system is designed to catch you out at every possible turn, if your smart and take your time, you will get your refund, if not you won't.

I tried 3 gold shops before I found one that would give me a receipt, and they wanted ฿300 extra for the receipt.
I assumed the unwillingness of the gold shops to issue a receipt was part of a tax scam.