Demonstrations And Rallies Leading Up To The Election

Jai Dee

when does someone go out and educate those people about the realities

he gets beaten on the head by a chair...

Thaksin did all in his power to stop information getting to the people. That includes using state power on the ground to campaign for TRT. It's not fair to say that Democrats didn't do anything at all - they run in every constituency, and they campaigned, but were no match for TRT's dirty games.

As for elections - PAD and the Opposition do not recognise them, whichever way chips fall, and protests will continue.

It's of course worrisome that army is pulling towards Bangkok, if what Colpyat says is true, but polls give Thaksin only about 20% support here - he won't dare to take Bangkok by force, or the South, which will be "No Thaksin zone".

What the Democrats tried was not education, it was insulting.

The Democrats need to educate people on how they would do a better job.

Telling everyone for the 100th time why their favorite person is a crook, without showing any proof, is NOT EDUCATION - it's SLANDER.

Telling everyone you are boycotting an election, while calling yourself a Democrat, is NOT EDUCATION, it's HYPOCRISY.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chamlong says Sondhi to return on Sunday- The Nation

Chamlong Srimuang, a decision maker for the People's Alliance for Democracy, says his fellow PAD decision maker Sondhi Limthongkul will return from China on Sunday.

Chamlong said a plane ticket was not available so Sondhi could not return Saturday night as earlier scheduled.

He said he did not know exact time when Sondhi would arrive at Bangkok.

Chamlong was speaking to reporters after visiting Kom Chad Luek to provide moral support. The paper was besieged by aggressive members of the pro-government Caravan of the Poor on Thursday.

>>>>>>>>>

I think there's a distinct possibility that Sondhi could be arrested upon his arrival at Don Muang this Sunday.

And the fear of this happening, if truth be known, is probably why Sondhi has delayed his return to Thailand - even though seat availabity or rather the lack of it has been cited as the reason for his delay, which quite frankly, I don't believe for a moment. (Sondhi flies first/business class - and moreover there are an abundance of flights between China and Thailand everyday, particularly in the two aforementioned classes.)

There are currently a mountain of legal actions that have in the last week been filed against him - and the 'lesse majeste' charges are serious - and it appears that the petitioners may have some grounds for legal action - though of course, his words, have been taken out of context and misconstrued.

Probably the only thing holding the police (or rather the government) back right now from issuing an arrest warrant is the fear that his arrest will make Sondhi even more of a hero of the people and will garner even greater support for the PAD. Though his arrest will effectively gag him from making any further anti-Thaksin statements. Obviously something Thaksin would relish!

If anyone should be hiding outside of the country right now it should be that dastardly 'Tacky Shinawatra" and all his dishonest cohorts. But he isn't!

Thaksin.......awk pai.....

I think there's a distinct possibility that Sondhi could be arrested upon his arrival at Don Muang this Sunday.

And the fear of this happening, if truth be known, is probably why Sondhi has delayed his return to Thailand - even though seat availabity or rather the lack of it has been cited as the reason for his delay, which quite frankly, I don't believe for a moment. (Sondhi flies first/business class - and moreover there are an abundance of flights between China and Thailand everyday, particularly in the two aforementioned classes.)

There are currently a mountain of legal actions that have in the last week been filed against him - and the 'lesse majeste' charges are serious - and it appears that the petitioners may have some grounds for legal action - though of course, his words, have been taken out of context and misconstrued.

Probably the only thing holding the police (or rather the government) back right now from issuing an arrest warrant is the fear that his arrest will make Sondhi even more of a hero of the people and will garner even greater support for the PAD. Though his arrest will effectively gag him from making any further anti-Thaksin statements. Obviously something Thaksin would relish!

Good theory, I agree that is why he delayed.

However, there is quite a mountain of evidence against Sondhi. The police have been taking countless hours of video of all the demonstrations. Sondhi even made his own video.

There is no way the police would dare arrest him unless they have clear evidence. That would definitely cause a riot.

Good theory, I agree that is why he delayed.

However, there is quite a mountain of evidence against Sondhi. The police have been taking countless hours of video of all the demonstrations. Sondhi even made his own video.

There is no way the police would dare arrest him unless they have clear evidence. That would definitely cause a riot.

Thaible - I'm not so sure about that. I think he may be arrested in the near future, if not this Sunday. However, these very dubious charges of lese majeste that he is accused of are trumped up charges and have no validity. The government is definitely acting in a two-handed way. In one way they want to appear as if they're maintaining law and order and trying to diffuse the tense political situation - and in another more clandestine - under the table way - they're doing their upmost to stir up trouble and enmity between the two opposing factions. The filing of these lese majeste charges against Sondhi is yet another move by the government to incite hatred and stir up feelings - just as the 'government sanctioned' bomb blasts have done so recently.

You're also right about the government taking countless hours of video of protesters. I was outside the Election Commission Headquarters yesterday morning and there was a Thai male videoing absolutely everything and everyone. Doing 360 degree sweeps of the area periodically, videoing everyone in a very purposeful and meticulous way, zooming in on selected individuals - myself included!

And if this Sunday's election result gives Thaksin some sort of mandate for further rule - expect some arrests of protesters soon, though I'm not sure what they could be charged with -

Shouting out: "Thaksin Awk Pai"?

Edited by bulmercke

As a last observation from my Moo Ban up country

All the less educated and poor are being instructed/told to vote TRT by the local Poo yai as in their reckoning they have increased everyones wealth by providing loans for the usual commodities, mobiles, motorbikes, cars and house extensions/rebuilding. ( not counting the ones who have P***** it up the wall )

nice update. just heard something similar from upcountry - but with a slightly different slant. no reports of actually getting paid - because, as was explained to the locals, there is nobody else to vote for - so you must vote TRT. e.g., a they are led to believe the "no vote" is not an option.

Thaksin did all in his power to stop information getting to the people. That includes using state power on the ground to campaign for TRT. It's not fair to say that Democrats didn't do anything at all - they run in every constituency, and they campaigned, but were no match for TRT's dirty games.

As for elections - PAD and the Opposition do not recognise them, whichever way chips fall, and protests will continue.

It's of course worrisome that army is pulling towards Bangkok, if what Colpyat says is true, but polls give Thaksin only about 20% support here - he won't dare to take Bangkok by force, or the South, which will be "No Thaksin zone".

What the Democrats tried was not education, it was insulting.

The Democrats need to educate people on how they would do a better job.

Telling everyone for the 100th time why their favorite person is a crook, without showing any proof, is NOT EDUCATION - it's SLANDER.

Telling everyone you are boycotting an election, while calling yourself a Democrat, is NOT EDUCATION, it's HYPOCRISY.

Dear Thailable,

You seam to be so well informed. Why don't you tell us "what" actually

the Democrats where trying to say in Chiangmai and if wrongly, what would you

have told them, if you had the guts, to go into Thaksin's territory and speak about your point of view? I really wonder? Did you ever read the Newspapers in the last view months?

Are you one of the TRT supporters, who keep up bashing the other side, but never can

explain why you support your corrupt hero?

Enjoy your dinner

:o

Edited by sushiman

What you fail to mention is that the demonstrators have only a support of about 20% in Bangkok as well. What you can't understand is that many people simply dislike both Thaksin and the PAD here in Bangkok, especially since the Siam Paragon demonstrations.

And holding a speach in Chiangmai hardly is campaigning in rural Thailand, it is holding a speach in the second biggest urban centre in Thailand after not contesting in the elections. Nothing more.

I don't know if you have ever lived for a considerable amount of time in a backward rural Mu Ban outside the main Ampur. Before Thaksin the only time you saw politicians of any party was just before election times. Since Thaksin - the only time you see any politician of any of the other party is just before election time (not so this time - they just don't go there).

What you see though is the TRT holding regular meetings with the locals.

Thaksin does not even need to stop those parties from giving out information to the villagers, because those parties simply do not make an apearance in the villages.

Of far more importance than this endless drivel of political education is the fundamental aspect of general education which has been woefully inadequate during Thaksin's tenure.

By dumbing down the population in general education, it's far easier for the political manipulations to occur.

Finished a drive around town and noticed several road-side signs using cartoon children pictures to ham up the rubber stamp issue for tomorrow's election.... telling people they are "lucky" to have the convenience of them... as if it's a major physical effort to write "X" with a pen..... sheesh....

As for me, I'm highly suspect of these... beyond the figurative meaning of "rubber stamping a candidate" is the literal meaning. I have one question why?

Why, for this election, have they gone to using rubber stamps to mark ballots???

The only justification I was given by a Thaksin supporter was that it's cheaper.

Of course, I asked, rather incredulously, why are ink pens so expensive to use? How much ink is used in marking a single, solitary "X" on a ballot.... and how many thousands of small "X's" is each pen capable of making??

The response was "people steal them," to which I offered the obvious example of the post office which attach the pen to the table... nevermind that the value of a rubber stamp is even more expensive.

I left the discussion saying that if they have any difficulty funding the costs of ink pens, I would personally buy a big box of pens for every polling station in town.

This whole rubber stamp issue is so highly suspect, especially after learning about the weak-ass type of ink they will use in the stamp pads as described in my previous post.

The other issue is why did they chose this election to move the "No Vote" option from prominence at the top left hand corner (as shown in the picture of my previous post) to the bottom right hand corner and described in much smaller font than other scripts written on the ballot.

These two points cast the Election Commission in a rather shadier light, if that's possible.

Edited by sriracha john

a safe avenue .... an easy way "out":

Thaksin may consider 'sacrifice'

(TNA) - On the eve of a one-party election, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has called for national reconciliation, and says he will even consider stepping aside for a time.

The embattled caretaker premier said that arguments should end, out of respect for His Majesty the King, and the upcoming 60th anniversary of his ascension to the throne this year.

"Let's reconcile after the snap election in honour of our beloved monarch and for the sake of national solidarity amid fiercer global competition," Mr Thaksin said.

The prime minister said he is willing to consider every proposal - even suggestions that he suspend his own political role. He made no reference to resigning, as the opposition has demanded.

"I've accepted Mr Banharn Silpa-archa, the ChartThai Party leader's offer to be a political mediator," he added. Mr Banharn was not available to comment.

Mr Thaksin went to a golf driving range Saturday, where he spoke with news people. He called for everyone to vote tomorrow.

"Thais who love democracy must go to polling booths on Sunday to exercise their electoral right," he said.

"The election outcome must be respected by all," he added.

Mr Thaksin noted that he would cast his vote Sunday morning and would then take his wife, son and daughters to cast their ballots before heading to his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party headquarters.

Every party must accept the voters' decision, he said.

Conflicting parties must return to negotiating table after the election in order to end the current political crisis, he stressed.

Mr Thaksin reiterated that he would not return to his post if his party candidates received less than half of the votes cast in the general election.

- BP 01/04/06

------------------------------------------------------

Strongly encourage all to utilize the "No Vote" and we give the SOB a way out... more than he really deserves, but if it helps this nation to heal, then it'll be worth it.

Edited by sriracha john

Of far more importance than this endless drivel of political education is the fundamental aspect of general education which has been woefully inadequate during Thaksin's tenure.

By dumbing down the population in general education, it's far easier for the political manipulations to occur.

The fundamental aspect of general education has been more than inadequate under any Thai government. Nothing new there.

And i have so far not seen any political party of the opposition coming up with any improved policy at all.

Yet, and that is even admitted by Thaksin opponents, he has done more regarding education for the poor than previous governments, even if it is far from adequate.

I think the EC was mandated to provide both pens and stamps ... since a rumor got out that the stamps were going to lead to more fraud .....

Yes, I pointed that out in my initial post...

but on a local level here anyway, it seems they may be trying to get around it..

best for all concerned to bring their own ink pen as a backup.

The fundamental aspect of general education has been more than inadequate under any Thai government. Nothing new there.

And i have so far not seen any political party of the opposition coming up with any improved policy at all.

Yet, and that is even admitted by Thaksin opponents, he has done more regarding education for the poor than previous governments, even if it is far from adequate.

Yes... he's achieved quite a remarkable record, surely unbeatable... of having shifted into the position more Education Ministers than any previous PM.... well done.

As a staunch opponent of Thaksin I'm sure can see that for yourself.

He's done squat for education in Thailand.

I'd love to see these Thaksin opponents praising his educational achievements in print.

I mistyped poll results earlier today. 34.5% of voters in Bangkok are going to vote for Thaksin, down from 46% a week earlier.

It looks like he's not going to get his 50% here to resign in peace, but Isan and the North will certainly give him enough votes to face the burden of staying and dealing with the mess.

On the other hand, he's got only 60% of votes in last elections - 19 mil vs 13 mil for the opposition parties. It's not unimaginable that 3 mil people have changed their minds since last year.

Hope Banharn knows that he's a mediator now. A week ago he refused.

Obvious question - will they allow other parties to contest to avoid 20% limit? :o

Or would they be so daft to hold one candidate elections until 20 % vote for him? That would be fun to watch - 9, October 2007 - six voters and seven dogs voted in the latest round. Unfortunately one vote for TRT makes ony 16%. Re-run is scheduled for...

Edited by Plus

Obvious answer is run/off elections until they do have enough seats. :o

Brit ... can you explain this to the rest of us? Run-off/By-elections must take place in what 30 days? Do they have to have the same contestors for the same seats by law? How long will it take for TRT to fill seats that are non-contested in the South ... or even some constutuencies in BKK? How long will the population accept NOT having a real government and just sit with a caretaker government?

So ... election in May ... then June ... then July .... maybe after 3 more months he can get those seats from wearing people down ... (not likely but maybe) ... I would think that the population would not be OK with 1 person's ego sullying the King's 60th anniversary in office ......

but Brit ... please explain your thoughts ...

Another scenario is re-structuring/re-forming/creating some fringe parties... get them their 90 day party registration done.. and then hold them as contestants in a new by-election... then TRT needs only win by 1 more vote and the 20% benchmark is gone.

Edited by sriracha john

videoing everyone in a very purposeful and meticulous way, zooming in on selected individuals - myself included!

And if this Sunday's election result gives Thaksin some sort of mandate for further rule - expect some arrests of protesters soon, though I'm not sure what they could be charged with -

Shouting out: "Thaksin Awk Pai"?

bulmercke, I'm guessing you are in Thailand on some kind of visa. They don't have to arrest you for anything, you can be completely innocent. All they have to do is black list you, refuse your next visa and escort you out of the country. It's a very simple procedure to oust a Farang they want to get rid of.