Thailand Heralds New Ipv6 Internet Era

webfact

"just cooling my heals"

Please notice what the result is when the internet is so bad that it takes too long to edit a comment.

This spelling error will now be here forever with nothing I can do about it.

A trivial example of the many ways which the poor performance of Thailand's internet is harming us all, I think.

"just cooling my heals"

Please notice what the result is when the internet is so bad that it takes too long to edit a comment.

This spelling error will now be here forever with nothing I can do about it.

A trivial example of the many ways which the poor performance of Thailand's internet is harming us all, I think.

before i was thinking about bottle post or pigeons , sure they can compete

"Now a very happy surferPosted ImagePosted Image"

Hi robertson468, if it would not be too much trouble may I ask how does one become a happy surfer in CM?

1.  I am not sure the building here will allow extra cables coming in.  We now have WiFi, but it is the bottom of the barrel as far as performance, really terrible.  Speed varies all over the place and sometime we need to wait a minute to have a webpage load.  I have never used internet this bad anywhere else but CM.  Maybe it is the WiFi, maybe there is not enough bandwidth, but this is the second place in CM that the performance is identically terrible.

2.  What can be done?  I tried to find out if I can get 3G wireless service from AIS, but they only allow 1GB of 3G per month, totally useless, and Crazy.

3.  Can you suggest something, some fix I can use quickly?  I just need a very fast responsive system like I am used to in Taiwan for the past 10 years.

Hope that this post is not off topic because it seems to be in the spirit of all the comments above.

i had the same till i switched with the same provider  TOT to another not so popular package ( 12 instead of 10 Mb ) i pay 100 thb more but no problems since keep getting a decent bandwidth with even more up than they promise  

Thank you.  I would definitely be willing to pay more to upgrade, especially only 100Baht.  The problem is that the apt building I am in only provides WiFi, and told me they do not allow ISP to install separate lines for tenants.  Tenants must therefore use the WiFi provided by the Apt Building Management company.

This is why I was looking for an alternative solution, such as getting and Air-Card from AIS.  But they tell me they offer only one package of 1GB per month, at 3G speeds, which would be around 5 to 10 Mbps, Then, after the first GB of capacity is used up, the service switches to 2G or 1G which offers 64Kbps!  How CRAZY is this?  So this is obviously useless to use an AirCard in Thailand as a replacement for ADSL.

I just cannot BELIEVE that in the year 2013 this internet connectivity craziness still torments us!

If you, retell, or ribertson368, or anyone has any good solution, PLEASE let me know.

Even to get this far, in posting a response to your comment, it has taken me several tries reloading the page and pushing the quote button.  Who knows how many tries it will require to actually post the thing.\

I kid you not!  If this kinds of service were offered anywhere in Taiwan, HK, China or S. Korea, there would be h-ll to pay.

How can anyone actually do anything with any efficiency under these wacky internet conditions.

Who gives a Cr-p about addresses when things are this way?

Ipv6 my you know what!!

Anyway, if anyone out there has a good idea to solve this problem at a reasonable price, short of moving elsewhere in CM, or moving to S. Korea, PLEASE let me know.

TKS!

Easy solution is find a friendly local house/condo/cafe/business within 50 to 100m and direct line of sight and get a package there with a wifi router.

Plugin a directional antenna pointing straight at your room, place on a windowsil. Job done.

Longer ranges can be possible but every metre and obstacle will reduce speed and performance.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

TOT are in a mess in Chonburi somehow they seem to have lost bandwith on upload in my part of Chonburi.

Result is one click will start a video and you can watch for an hour. But try clicking you way through a long list of emails and you go mad waiting for your email and often the upclick dies on the vine beause the download times out.

Worse if you are form filling or typing your pass word the individual keystokes are so slow that you time out or your password keeps getting scrambled. Worse still when typing on line at the moment the charactors and words get scambled because of numerous micro time outs.

The technicians that come to my place don't have a clue what is causing the problem. If any of you can offer me  a advice I'd be most grateful.

Typing a password.... characters coming up slowly.... 100% the issue is your computer being slow and not the internet.

Internet may be slow too but computer speed will do no help.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

innerspace:

"Easy solution is find a friendly local house/condo/cafe/business within 50 to 100m and direct line of sight and get a package there with a wifi router.
Plugin a directional antenna pointing straight at your room, place on a windowsil. Job done.
Longer ranges can be possible but every metre and obstacle will reduce speed and performance."

This is very good advice for some, and I hope they benefit from it.

But as for me, there is nothing outside my balcony but trees for about 0.5 kilometers as I mentioned above.

Still, thank you for this info.

For me internet access from Thailand is fantastic, I am not limited to the bandwidth I use, and I always get at least 80% of the speed promised both upload and download. Whenever there is a problem it is fixed within a couple of hours, and if ever needed a CAT engineer, they will turn up within an hour or two, even if it's just to reset my modem, it did happen once and I felt very foolish.

Edited by Buckaroo

• 3 weeks later...

I recently was traveling and working online from Italy and New Zealand, and I would say - I very much prefer my average Thai internet connection...

I'll second the suggestion about CAT Telecom, most of our customers who managed to get it are rarely having any problems and performance is pretty good.

I recently was traveling and working online from Italy and New Zealand, and I would say - I very much prefer my average Thai internet connection...

I'll second the suggestion about CAT Telecom, most of our customers who managed to get it are rarely having any problems and performance is pretty good.

I have finally fixed my connection just by sending reports to the company that manages the network here, showing what is going wrong, and the many error messages.

So the network was not configured properly in the first place because now it works very reliably.

But getting the technician to "move" requires overcoming a bit of inertia.