Visa For Thai Visiting Nz?

How easy is it and what's the procedure and cost for a thai getting a visa to visit New Zealand. I live in Bkk with the mrs and we both want to visit friends there. They are not NZ citizens but spend half the year there. I am a UK citizen so don't expect I will need a visa but it can be a bit of a problem for a thai. She does not work or have an income but our house and car are in her name. We would be going for three weeks in Dec.

I think that as you're a British Citizen and live with your wife in Thailand your wife would have no problem getting a visa to have a holiday in NZ, probably be easier than for the spouse of a NZ national.

I wouldn't worry about the absence of a job, a stable life in a family unit in Thailand can persuade a visa officer that the applicant is likely to return home.

As with all applicants your wife will need to demonstrate that the proposed visit is genuine and affordable.

thanks for that, looks easier than going to the UK. The site says I need a visa if a UK citizen but living in Thailand, same as a Thai, 4300 baht, seems odd. Will go in and ask now I know where the office is.

Edited by sms747

I think that as you're a British Citizen and live with your wife in Thailand your wife would have no problem getting a visa to have a holiday in NZ, probably be easier than for the spouse of a NZ national.

I wouldn't worry about the absence of a job, a stable life in a family unit in Thailand can persuade a visa officer that the applicant is likely to return home.

As with all applicants your wife will need to demonstrate that the proposed visit is genuine and affordable.

That is assuming that the "wife" is actually a legal wife in the eyes of either Thailand or UK. Either way she will have to provide evidence of ability to pay for herself whilst in the country and return tickets etc, simply because she is travelling on a Thai passport and that's the requirement. Check out the NZ embassy website and you can download all the forms.

NZ is reasonably easy to get a visa but I'd suspect that you may have to act as a sponsor/guarantor and also be able to prove evidence of ability to support her/guarantee her.

I'm a Pom with NZ Permanent Residence and had no trouble, but I had to act as guarantor, prove evidence of wealth etc.

It took me one visit to the embassy in BKK, a follow up phone call from them to my GF to verify a few things (actually to verify that she had reason to return to Thailand and sort of an honesty test by asking the same things in different ways), visa was granted a week later - two weeks all up.