Changing Visa From Tr To Non O-A

I've read information on TV about how to go about changing visa category from Tourist in order to end up with a Non O-A (I think this is the offical listing for a retirement visa?)

I live in the Udon Immigration office catchment area.
I read a report from a guy who tried to change his visa in Udon. They told him he had to go to BKK. He phoned BKK who said of course Udon can do it - and told him to go back to Udon. This caused the usual arguments (due to loss of face by the Immig. staff in Udon having to change the visa).

Thinking that "fore-warned is fore-armed" I asked my g/f to phone BKK Immigr, to get the info from them to confirm Udon would change my visa (and thinking I would quote them in Udon before Udon being given the chance to reject my application). BKK said, no, I would have to go to BKK and then having changed to a Non O in BKK, request a 12 month extension in Udon, based on money in my Thai bank account.

As a last resort I got my g/f to call Udon Immigr. and ask the same question: If they would change a TR visa to a Non O?
They said I'd first have to go to Vientianne and request a Non O there, then get the extension in Udon.
My g/f said that BKK told her BKK could do it, to which Udon added that, yes, it could be done in BKK if we weren't married (which we aren't, and admittedly that info wasn't volunteered initially).

Obviously my main question is: Has the situation changed regarding this since I read the report some months ago - or is it just luck of the draw as to who you speak to/deal with within Immigration?

A further question: As my g/f and I live in her sister's house rent free with no rental contract - and her sister is currently living abroad - is this a complication for providing a proof of address?

Thanks,

Udon should do for retirement - you having what was assumed to be your wife calling seems to have muddied the waters as they believe you want a Thai Wife extension of stay - and that usually has to be done in Bangkok for the conversion stage. What you want is a one year extension of stay for retirement (it is not a visa or O-A). I suspect Udon can do this for retirement but for marriage would tell you to make the short trip to Vientiane or longer trip to Bangkok.

Hi Lopburi3,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I understand the extension of stay is not a visa (although it seems to be referred to as Non O-A, isn't that part of the Non O visa category, or am I mistaken?)

Are you saying that I don't need a Non O first (in order to apply for the retirement extension)?

I'm asking this because I asked about this before, and on 9 March you replied:

"What you can do is convert from tourist visa with 15 days or more remaining to non immigrant visa entry of 90 days for fee of 2,000 baht and financial proof of meeting retirement conditions/age. You can then during the last 30 days of that new visa entry extend your stay for one year in the TM.7 process for retirement at fee of 1,900 baht."

(As an aside, I found a report on the net from Pattaya Expats Club saying it was required to change to a Non O from a TR (using form TM 86) in order to request a 12 month extension for retirement).

Can you tell me what visa/extension name I have to ask for if it's not a Non O, please?

Thanks,

Non immigrant O-A visa is officially Long Stay and only issued in a foreign country (not Thailand) where you reside and requires medical and police report and gets a one year stay on entry. This is not what you want in Thailand.

You need a non immigrant visa entry to extend for retirement - as I said this can be from a Consulate outside Thailand of obtained from immigration in the extension of stay process as first step costing 2,000 baht if you have about 15 days remaining on current entry. Depending on entry it would be TM86 or TM87 form used for this. Then you do the actual extension of stay using TM7 form.

So you want to extend for retirement, and to do this, convent your current entry to non immigrant.

Just to clarify, Lopburi3, the OP should go to Udon and ask to convert his TR to a 90-day O visa and then return to Udon during the final 30 days of that visa validity and extend it for 12 months due to retirement (the so-called "two step" process)? Or are you saying he needs to leave the country and request a single-entry 90-day O visa at a Consulate outside Thailand and then extend that O visa for 12 months due to retirement at Udon during the final 30 days of his new O visa?

He can do either - but for retirement conversion at immigration should be an option - he can not just request a non immigrant O visa however - he has to make it part of an extension of stay process so the financials must be presented to prove that ability within the 90 days allowed by the visa entry.