Problematic Internet Connection.

richb2004

I have been having problems with my internet connection.

When I got this PC I initially used a dial up ‘pay as you go’ card. I was impressed with the speed at first. It was more than adequate for my needs. However after a few weeks it began to slow down until eventually it was to slow. I guy in a PC shop recommended a different dial up provider. That was better. However once again it deteriorated to crawling speed.

I then discovered I could get TOT broadband. Horray! I got a 512kbps connection. It was good, but not fantastic. Then, you guessed it, it began to slow down. It developed all kinds of glitches: taking time to access pages, missing graphics, unable to make attachments to emails, very slow etc, etc. I figured that maybe I had got some viruses or something. I used anti virus and anti spy ware software to clean it up. That remedied it a little for a short time, but eventually it got worse again.

Next I figured a reformat might help. I have never done this so I handed it over to a local guy. I got it back about a week ago. It not has a set of different glitches. More missing graphics, slow down, unable to access certain pages etc, etc.

I really don’t know what to do now.

In my home country I would have a friend around and sorted it. Here I struggle to communicate with the PC people. I feel like canceling the broadband and sticking to using the internet café. This seems a shame since I have what should be a perfectly good PC here in the house.

Any ideas?

what operating system are you using?

are you sure the bloke formatted the comp?

its pretty hard to tell what might be wrong from your info - but suspicion would fall on virus/trojan/spyware.

when connected to broadband at least a software firewall is required.

and if you are using internet explorer as your browser with default active x running you are very much at risk on the internet today. even sites you think are trustworthy can be compromised.

are you in bangkok? what area?

what operating system are you using?

are you sure the bloke formatted the comp?

its pretty hard to tell what might be wrong from your info - but suspicion would fall on virus/trojan/spyware.

when connected to broadband at least a software firewall is required.

and if you are using internet explorer as your browser with default active x running you are very much at risk on the internet today. even sites you think are trustworthy can be compromised.

are you in bangkok? what area?

I am using Windows Xp Pro.

To be honest I don't know what the guy did to the PC. He speaks little English. I had to have my wife translate and explain. I settled on having him 'clean' the PC. When I got it back all my personnel stuff had gone and a few new things were on it.

Friends from UK recommended anti virus and spy ware software, which I used. It found and destroyed things, but was only a slight improvement.

I don't know what firewalls I have. I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

One of the weirdest things it that I can not attach any files of any size or type to my Yahoo or Hotmail emails.

I am near Rayong and Pattaya.

Today the PC isn't too bad, but yesterday I couldn't do anything on the net.

I know it’s difficult to diagnose a PC problem with this info. But any advice would be appreciated. I should probably try to find an English speaking PC Eng. in this area.

Today the PC isn't too bad, but yesterday I couldn't do anything on the net.

I know it’s difficult to diagnose a PC problem with this info. But any advice would be appreciated. I should probably try to find an English speaking PC Eng. in this area.

Try a cleanup w/ a utliity like:

http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbin.asp?f=1

And also download and run (after updating them, if you can) Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy (google).