Survey Of Food In Bangkok Reveals Significant Germ Contamination

Jai Dee

A significant portion of food in BKK sampled by Medical Sciences Department has failed the standard

The Department of Medical Sciences has revealed that its survey of ready-to-eat food has found a significant amount of food shops that sold disqualified items, with single dishes yielding the most germ contamination.

Medical Sciences Department Director-General Phaijit Warachit (ไพจิตร์ วราชิต) revealed that his department examined 1,395 samples of ready-to-eat food in Bangkok and the vicinity during October 2005 and February this year. It found that 521 samples did not pass evaluation. 232 food shops failed to live up to standard; 208 had germs in their food, which indicated lack of hygiene; and 81 had germs that could cause food poisoning.

Single dishes had the most prevalent rate of germ detection. Md. Phaijit said that the contamination was mostly due to unclean raw materials and equipment.

The department also checked on 530 samples of bottled water and ice, where 66 samples were below standard. It has warned the producers and ordered rapid remedial actions, which will be closely followed up by the officials.

In the meantime, the department is collaborating with the Food and Drug Administration to quickly instill more knowledge in the public about consumption of hygienic food during the hot season.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 March 2006

tourists beware! Locals ... get used to the bacteria!

I've gotten the crud* about once every 90 days for the first year when I moved here and not since the 15 month mark ....

but the only time I have had full blown food poisoning I got it from KFC!

frankly the only thihng in this report that bothers me is the water ... they didn't stipulate "substandard" inwhat way!

Medical Sciences Department Director-General Phaijit Warachit (ไพจิตร์ วราชิต) revealed that his department examined 1,395 samples of ready-to-eat food in Bangkok and the vicinity during October 2005 and February this year. It found that 521 samples did not pass evaluation. 232 food shops failed to live up to standard; 208 had germs in their food, which indicated lack of hygiene; and 81 had germs that could cause food poisoning.

These numbers aren't so bad, I would have expected the percentages to be much, much higher. It would be nice if there were a clearer explanation of the figures, like how many shops in total were in the sample, of which 232 failed, 208 had germs and 81 had germs that cause food poisoning. 521 sample dishes out of 1,395 is only 37%, but how bad were those 521 dishes. My incidence of food poisoning (quite mild, lasts 1 - 4 hours) is closer to 3%, on a per meal basis, from push-carts, small ramshackle restaurants and mid-tier sit-down open-air Thai restaurants. I'm also surprised that Hep A isn't running rampant here given the lack of general hygiene in the food service industry, but maybe they're immune due to previous infection?

I would guess that a certain amount of your risk is also determined by the length of time between cooking and serving- in the noodle places where your stuff is boiled right before you eat it, I've had almost no problems- it's when it sits around in pans all day that I think things get a bit more risky.

"Steven"