Honda Pcx 150 Is It Worth It?

Jongunranta

I am considering to buy some scooter for driving to office.

Atm I am thinking about Honda PCX 150 or as teh cheap charlie also latest Scoopy.

I am driving 5 days a week 50km (25+25) per day along Hangdong Road and Canal Road.

Is PCX 150 that much comfortable to drive than for example Click?

I have been driving PCX 125 but that was near terrible because of soft and bumby suspension.

Any advice or opinion are welcome.

At 50km a day, I'd rule out the Scoopy due to the small wheels, which also would be dangerous at the speeds of the canal road. In the city, the Scoopy would be fine, but not the journey you're doing.

You have three obvious choices with the larger wheels on a scooter, the Honda PCX 150 you mentioned, the Suzuki Hayate 125 and the latest Yamaha Nouvo 125. then there are also a couple of larger scooters, but you're going way above the prices for these three.

Of the three, I personally didn't like the PCX I rented due to the fairings that stick out low at the front, waiting to collide with a curb. It also just felt odd to drive. The Suzuki Hayate is my favourite of the three, though there are very few around and I think many would disagree with me. the Yamaha Nouvo is more popular and in the price range 5X,XXXB, definitely worth a consideration.

However, my advice, at 50km a day, step up to about 80,000B and get a CBR150. Riding a bike with clutch and gears is not really that hard, and the comfort you'd get from it would be much more. The 250cc is just over 100,000B.

I live in a small Village in Central Thailand with a main town about 10K away. I have driven my PCX 150 for about a year now with a daily trip to the town market. I thoroughly enjoy the ride. The power is sufficient and the ride comfortable although still could use some stiffening in the rear shocks with 2 people. The multi braking system is great (both rear and front brakes engage together).

The only negative is that I've been caught twice with a dead battery (my own fault) and there is no secondary kick starter, so the battery needs a jump or charge.

I'm sure everyone else will disagree but I like the Click over the PCX (125) any day. Never ridden the 150 so I don't know how different it feels.

I owned both and sold the PCX. The PCX felt like riding a rollercoaster and I didn't really feel in control. Now I've taken my Click on 1000+ KM trips around northern Thailand, riding about 200 KM per day up and down mountains. The longest I ever rode in one day was almost 400 KM. Never had any problems except flat tires. I go speeds of 90 KM an hour with the Click and feel pretty safe.

is that the 125cc click or the normal 110cc one?

My old 110cc click was great for the first 3-4 years. Then it just started to get old, and thai mechanics being as incompetent as thai everything else never were able to keep it as nice when it needed fixes (I guess its too hard for them to learn about auto's maybe).

But yea, the first 3-4 years it was awesome.

Though I do prefer bikes that have the engine more between the front and back wheels (so you have to saddle the bike with a leg on each side) rather than under your ass, because it feels more like the centre of gravity is better and safer. That's why I thought the nuovo might be a good go.

Thanks for everyone who has reply so far.

That new PCX150 rear suspension is what I am really interested in. In PCX125 that was like tramboline, but issue is somehow fixed in PCX150, that's what I have been reading. If still not stiff enough, new pair can be bought by 4000THB, already confirmed that. New pair of tires is around 1000-1500, so total will be something around 85k.

Another reason I prefer scooter is that secondary use will be driving to food markets. That's why I flag out those CBR250's and similar.

New Yamaha Nouvo SX is a little bit interesting vehicle. Anyone can compare that and PCX150?

I'll second what was said about the Click 125i Vs the PCX... I'd actually go for the Click. I've also owned both.

Just to try it out, I rented a PCX150 and rode the Somoeng Loop on it a few days ago. I'd say it felt like it had roughly 10% more power than my PCX125. The Click 125i has that same 125cc motor as the old PCX, but is lighter... so it and the PCX150 feel roughly the same up until about 100kph... after that, the PCX150 still has a bit more and the Click is pretty much done all it can do. That said, I dont recommend riding a scoot at those speeds. To go faster, go get a manual shift big bike of some sort.

Anyway, I used to love my original PCX... mostly for the comfort factor (I'm a bigger guy). Now that I've been on a Click 125i for about a year, renting and driving the new PCX left me with the impression it was fat and clumsy, whereas the Click feels agile. It did have a little more top end, but honestly you're not likely to use it. My suggestion is to save yourself about 25K and get a Click 125i... or, like someone else said, learn to drive a bigger, manual shift bike. The Tiger Boxer 250 is the bike the police use here and is available for 10% LESS than a PCX... and will easily outclass it in terms of speed and comfort when going at the rates typically seen on canal road.

Edited by WarProfiteer

I'll second what was said about the Click 125i Vs the PCX... I'd actually go for the Click. I've also owned both.

Just to try it out, I rented a PCX150 and rode the Somoeng Loop on it a few days ago. I'd say it felt like it had roughly 10% more power than my PCX125. The Click 125i has that same 125cc motor as the old PCX, but is lighter... so it and the PCX150 feel roughly the same up until about 100kph... after that, the PCX150 still has a bit more and the Click is pretty much done all it can do. That said, I dont recommend riding a scoot at those speeds.

Why not? Is it dangerous at those speeds because it is a lighter bike?

Thanks for everyone who has reply so far.

That new PCX150 rear suspension is what I am really interested in. In PCX125 that was like tramboline, but issue is somehow fixed in PCX150, that's what I have been reading. If still not stiff enough, new pair can be bought by 4000THB, already confirmed that. New pair of tires is around 1000-1500, so total will be something around 85k.

Another reason I prefer scooter is that secondary use will be driving to food markets. That's why I flag out those CBR250's and similar.

New Yamaha Nouvo SX is a little bit interesting vehicle. Anyone can compare that and PCX150?

I have had a PCX150 from new, done about 6000kms on it including some long trips eg. Nan....I really like it, comfortable, huge underseat storage, reasonable nippy.....you WILL need to upgrade the rear shocks, I thought stock shocks were just too soft with 2 people on it.

Bought PCX 150 yesterday and will give it a good try.

I have been driving 24 years with Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda CBR 600/900/1000 and finally I want to give rest to my toes (and back), that's why scooter.

Anyone knows if back rest like in photo can be found in Chiang Mai?

http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-dosseret-pour-passager-honda-pcx-speed-252277.html

Bought PCX 150 yesterday and will give it a good try.

I have been driving 24 years with Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda CBR 600/900/1000 and finally I want to give rest to my toes (and back), that's why scooter.

Anyone knows if back rest like in photo can be found in Chiang Mai?

http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-dosseret-pour-passager-honda-pcx-speed-252277.html

you should look at what they have at the motorcycle accessories place on Chiang Moi, it's maybe 50 yards past the big helmet store on the right heading towards Wararot Market. I have a PCX 150 and bought something similar from them a while back. It is more of a triangular cushion compared to your picture. My wife and I are both big and she really needs it. I have a custom seat too similar to the picture but I'm not sure if was really worth it. Think long and hard before buying a custom seat.

You don't mention a price. I think we paid about 174K for the PCX for the Missus which I registered in her name. It does have a decent storage capacity under the seat but it also lacks a drink holder and has limited options for that. Any ideas anyone? FOR sure the shocks for rear rider are lacking. Rough ride!

I think next time which wasn't available at the time, I'd opt for the 300.

You don't mention a price. I think we paid about 174K for the PCX for the Missus which I registered in her name. It does have a decent storage capacity under the seat but it also lacks a drink holder and has limited options for that. Any ideas anyone? FOR sure the shocks for rear rider are lacking. Rough ride!

I think next time which wasn't available at the time, I'd opt for the 300.

174k, I think 74-77k is the normal new price.