Hk Student Coming Thai For Exchange

hellome123

Hi all, I am from HK and will go Mahidol University for a half year exchange in Sept. I would like to make some friends here before going there~

I have lots of questions and things to ask and share

look forward in ur response :))

Maintain a sense of humour. Remember that most posters on TV are either fans of Monty Python, or characters from Monty Python,

Take advice in the context that it was meant, and with sufficient seasoning to make it palatable,

SC

Yes, please watch again the video "Ministry of Silly Walks", or something. I think that says a lot.

But people here seem very friendly.

("Characters" I would say)

Edited by OldChinaHam

Hello exchange student. Let's consider some important aspects of your request to determine if you will be successful in your quest;

1. Age: You are probably around age 20 correct? Well the average age in TVF is probably in the 40-50 range with a median point of 55.

Unless you are planning a career in elder care or some other field related to geriatrics, I don't know if the opinions offered will be of much use, let alone interest to you. Well adjusted university age students avoid middle aged and older people like the plague.

2. Mahidol is a reputable university and has an excellent medical school. Many people who will offer you an opinion on living in Thailand, have not attended university. They may not understand your perspective. They certainly will not understand the stress or concerns that you may have. Others with an education would not have been able to get into a school like Mahidol and may be resentful.

3. If you are a young, intelligent male have the muscle tone of a university age person and can maintain an erection for more than 20 minutes you will be a threat to some, and scare others. They will react accordingly. If you are an educated self confident female, you will terrify others. If you are a ladyboy, you may receive multiple PMs asking for a date, and assuring you that age is just a number.

Aside from that, ask away. thumbsup.gif

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

Hello exchange student. Let's consider some important aspects of your request to determine if you will be successful in your quest;

1. Age: You are probably around age 20 correct? Well the average age in TVF is probably in the 40-50 range with a median point of 55.

Unless you are planning a career in elder care or some other field related to geriatrics, I don't know if the opinions offered will be of much use, let alone interest to you. Well adjusted university age students avoid middle aged and older people like the plague.

2. Mahidol is a reputable university and has an excellent medical school. Many people who will offer you an opinion on living in Thailand, have not attended university. They may not understand your perspective. They certainly will not understand the stress or concerns that you may have. Others with an education would not have been able to get into a school like Mahidol and may be resentful.

3. If you are a young, intelligent male have the muscle tone of a university age person and can maintain an erection for more than 20 minutes you will be a threat to some, and scare others. They will react accordingly. If you are an educated self confident female, you will terrify others. If you are a ladyboy, you may receive multiple PMs asking for a date, and assuring you that age is just a number.

Aside from that, ask away. thumbsup.gif

You forget to add they might even quote how much they are going to pay you per month and act like its all normal and part of being mature biggrin.png

Anyway, he or she is on the wrong forum as this is for expats not Thais, you wont find many Thais here.

You will not get many positive posts on University's here.

I lived In Tsim sha Tsui for a short time, loved Hong Kong.

As for the Uni your attending it has a good reputation, ask specific questions here and there will be some good answers and some bad, take on board what you will.

No, you won't meet many Thais on this forum. However, I wouldn't worry; Thai students are generally very friendly, though you may find some who are reluctant to speak English.

Agreed. Thai students (esp. University) are very sweet people and love to have a good time. <~~~~ excluding the turf wars of course.

If anything truly annoys you just remember it isn't your culture and if you find yourself too miserable, you might be comparing your culture to theirs a bit too much.

What is your course of study? I hear they have a good music department.

Try and take public transportation over motor scooters, and if the price sounds ridiculously outrageous, it probably is.

How is your Thai? 'mai mii'is something you may hear often but just keep smiling, and out will soon learn how to use it when needed as well.

Other than that, enjoy your stay! If you have time try and check out chiang mai.

Edited by hookedondhamma

To be honest , I wouldn't worry to much about making friends before you arrive.

I went to MUIC and can assure you that there are so many clubs that you can join that you will not have any problem making friends

From memory.. Muay Thai club, Taekwondo club, photo club , dance clubs, philanthropy club, debate club etc...

Also the other students were always very kind and welcoming. Shouldn't have any problem in making plenty of friends in very short order

Also as Mahidol is a bit outside of town in Salaya area, you would likely find it better to either live near the campus or in the Pinkhlao area rather than in downtown Bangkok

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Enjoy and respect the culture.

Enjoy and respect the woman, Emphasise on the enjoying the woman part.

You have half a year to sample the local Talent in your free time and make it a stay you will never forget.

Your only young once, twice if you retire to Thailand.

Enjoy.

so where Gould I go instead?

Why not try and see if Mahidol or your specific faculty has a student oriented message board? I think you'll find people there will have the most in common with you, much more so than this forum.

If you just do a search for "mahidol student forums" there are quite a few choices.

Probably much better for you to get first hand information and possibly make Thai friends there than here.

Good luck

I would like to make some friends here before going there~

welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

Welcome to this forum. It's a not bad for asking questions about Thailand.

Geriatrickid's post above has some truth, but there is still a lot of value in reading and posting here. Especially, if you want to discuss Thai food, Thai language, Travelling in Thailand and South East Asia, or Living in Bangkok.

If you avoid this general forum and post specific questions in any other forum you probably will be fine and have a good experience.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Edited by Morakot

I would like to make some friends here before going there~

welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

Welcome to this forum. It's a not bad for asking questions about Thailand.

Geriatrickid's post above has some truth, but there is still a lot of value in reading and posting here. Especially, if you want to discuss Thai food, Thai language, Travelling in Thailand and South East Asia, or Living in Bangkok.

If you avoid this general forum and post specific questions in any other forum you probably will be fine and have a good experience.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

And you can probably also avoid the Farang Pub forum if you have a low tolerance for nonsense.

But I like the Pub forum, just as I like the general forum, and all the other forums on TV, seriously.

Also,, as we can plainly see, the OP has already received much good advice that he might not have been provided with had he chosen to post not on TV but some other less fine forum.

If you need good information about Thailand, then this is the place to come.

• Like 1

I cannot believe you guys are so nice! And patiently reply me and indicated me right direction! Really thank you very much!

I am currently learning Thai language as to further enhance my experience when in Thailand!

Sawatdii Khrap!

• Like 2