Cost For Sketchup Plan

Hi there

How much might one expect to pay for a Sketchup of internal area in a building to be drawn up preferably on Sketchup. The areas would need to be measured up.

To give a vague idea of complexity it is not a rectangular room, it comprises several rooms/areas, and is a total of about 300m2 and has a fair few columns and a couple of levels, and some internal windows and openings and some steps.

Lift doors would also feature and the bottom of the main stairwell and a couple of glazed entry doors.

It would need to show existing and be able to be redesigned somewhat.

I presume this would necessitate making a first layer of permanent features like columns, floor levels etc.

Then a second layer would have present features added.

I guess this would be duplicated so it could be adapted.

We had someone round today to chat about design, but we kind of realised that although we liked the chap and he seemed intelligent and experienced, we actually don't really know his taste other than from his brochure which just had sort of acceptable contemporary design.

It occurred to him and us that maybe we just need a draughtsman albeit a Sketchup one.

We haven't ruled him out by any means, but would like to compare his preliminary asking price for a plan drawn up with suggested layout (to be added to later for detail work).

How much could we get our stuff drawn up for in CM? (I maybe have in mind a young architect or designer. Do they even use Sketchup or stick to AutoCad? We would prefer it as we can adapt the plans ourselves).

Thanks

Edited by cheeryble

It is not hard to do, at least with some sketchup experience.

I use sketchup a lot and one of the best learning experiences was when i made a model of our condo.

If it is an existing building all you need is a sheet of paper per floor and draw some rough lines to have the contour. Measure each wall. In my case i started on the right from the front door and followed the outline of the condo until i reached the left of the front door. I measured each wall and eyeballed the degrees if it was not 90 degrees. After that i measured the distance from each pillar to two of the nearest walls.

After all of that it was not difficult to put it into sketchup. When you draw each line you can type in the exact length for each segment and move to the next.

I took only a few hours to complete it.

It should not cost you more than a days work. I don't know the rates they charge.

Edited by Khun Jean

Yes Kh Jean I have used SU before.

The fact is it is a public building, not mine, it is you might say an act of generosity to do this.

Measuring actually takes a bit of thought. In this case there are plenty of 45degree angles and if you started at one end and worked all the way round I strongly suspect you'd learn not to trust the 45 as your ending point wouldn't match up. You need reference points.

The other issue is what I alluded to above about making layers.

Seems you need

1. Permanent unalterable structure

2. Present layout.

3. Future layout which is completely alterable.

I am not bad at SU and could throw together a condo say in a pretty short time, but when I have attempted 1 to 3 before never quite got it right. No doubt I could perfect it with a wee bit of thought, but hey I have enough to do hence getting the contractor chap to visit and my enquiry about the cost of a SU plan for comparison.

Thanks!

Edited by cheeryble