Uk Spouse Visa: New Rules Vs Old Rules

My view is that for the same reasons it is unfair to demand that an immigrant family have an income higher than the minimum the government expects a British family to live on.

Isn't that because the British Government is trying to encourage skilled high earners and discourage unskilled low earners.

Under the PBS system, yes; this and the previous government are.

But this topic isn't about the PBS, it's about family migration.

Surely you are not suggesting that the Thai spouse/partner of a British citizen should not be allowed to settle in the UK unless they also met the criteria for a highly skilled migrant!

I really think though, like we have to do in Thailand (expect for the paying part on certain visas) they should have to report every 90 days or so. So it's controlled.

They could check what benefits there on, look at there work etc

If you look at it another way. Like for me, I have a marriage visa in Thailand, and I have to show a minimum of 40,000 baht income, which is near enough £12,000 a year, regardless of what I spend that's the requirement, and I spend a lot more.

It is no different to the income that is required for a spouse visa to return to the UK.

7by7 quote What would happen if, through no fault of their own, one partner lost their job, taking their combined income below the minimum level?

There should be an allowance for changes in personal circumstances that's out of there control, people do loose there jobs, Just suppose that your in full time employment earning the £18600 plus a year and then a month before applying for the Spouse visa or IIR, you get a letter to say you have now lost your job and you find that your now on £71.70p a week job seekers. Is this fair to the person who is trying to live a proper married life in the UK. How can the Government reject someones application when its not their fault that they have just lost there Job

To me the new rule changes are totally unfair and to me its all about cost cutting and stopping the back log of applications, I

I am so happy that i come under the old rules, I am one of the lucky ones, I don't have a mortgage, I don't owe anyone any money on Loans or credit cards, I am working part time 16 to 22 hours a week on Minimal wage, So we are living comfortable, we have savings above the amount that i cant claim any benefits (council tax etc) which i don't want to do, But if i was to apply for my wife's IIR under the new rules, My wife would be going back to Thailand which would be totally unfair.

Regarding the £18600, were i live, Most jobs is minimal wage due to the shortage of jobs + the amount of people looking for Jobs, So unless skilled or lucky to find a Shift work Job working weekends and nights, It will be hard to hit the £18600 Jackpot that you need unless you send your wife out to work.

Malc

I am sure the requirement for FLR at the midpoint to ILR will be a stumbling block for applicants and government alike. It seems inconceivable that a settled family, kids in school (perhaps British Citizens to boot) should be required to leave the UK because of a change in circumstances as the sponsor cannot meet the £18,600 rule.

I can almost see the immigration advisers and solicitors rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of appeals/human rights claims etc.

I suspect the present government will happily leave the mess to the next lot or if voted back, will worry about it then!

When it comes to applying for FLR, income from yourself and your spouse can be used to meet the requirement.

The rules are fair.

The only people it really affects are expats. That is where most complaints are coming from.

I for one met the new financial requirements, I also have no expenditures at home, it costs me more to live in Thailand than the UK.