Where Is My Bike Registered?

JusMe

About five years ago, I bought my Nouvo from a Yamaha dealer in Bangkok. They arranged for the registration of the bike and shipped it to me by Thai Post (first time I'd heard of "mailing" a motorbike, but it worked very well). I had all the necessary papers for them, including my residence certificate indicating my address in Rayong province.

Every year, I've headed to the LTD office in Rayong and paid my insurance and registration fee, getting the appropriate stamp in my book and the registration sticker which I've affixed to my bike.

Now, if I want to sell the bike, I know the list of papers needed, and that's no problem.

But where is the bike now registered - Bangkok or Rayong? And if I want to sell it in Rayong, do I need to either transfer a registration from Bangkok to Rayong, or take it in to Bangkok for transferring the ownership?

Thai bureaucracy loves stamps and papers, so not sure about this little issue. No hurries, as nothing will happen in the next month, but just want to be able to plan well ahead.

[Edit] I should also mention that my permanent motorbike driver's licence has my Rayong address on it, so as a driver, I'm registered in Rayong province.

Edited by JusMe

Without seeing the number plate I would suggest it is registered in Bangkok.

I purchase my pickup and all my documents had my Chonburi address on them (work Permit/Driver's licence etc), my pickup has BKK plates.

• Like 1

Don't worry. It will be up to the person who buys it whether they want to transfer the rego.

Huh????? The registration has to be transferred to the new owner otherwise the person named in the book is liable for any speeding tickets or other transgressions .

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

check the green book, have someone with Thai skills read it for you are you sure it is in your name. I bought my PCX here in Chiang Mai from a small local dealer. After 8 months finally got the green book and it was registered in lampang where my dealer got the bike from,a bit more checking and it was in the old ladies name that owned the shop I bought the bike from. They had all the paper work to put it in my name but couldn't be buggered. All cleared up now in my name but not a new bike.

The location/license plate does NOT have to be transferred.

You can, but it does not bring any benefits, instead lot of bureaucracy. (regulations have changed many years ago, maybe during the Thaksin era).

Tax and insurance can be payed at your local DLT, usually there is special counter for "registered in other province".

The ownership has to be transferred of course.

There are official forms from the DLT for the ownership transfer which have to be signed by the seller and the buyer. (no private contracts or forms for that). The transfer is documented in the green book.

Thai script for the provinces can be found e.g. in the WiKi (search for the province name in "english").

Or pick and click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Thailand

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can, but it does not bring any benefits, instead lot of bureaucracy. (regulations have changed many years ago, maybe during the Thaksin era).

Tax and insurance can be payed at your local DLT, usually there is special counter for "registered in other province".

Indeed I think Thaicbr misunderstands the situation.

If the bike's plate is not changed from a Bangkok Registration to a Rayong Registration for example it does mean that the paperwork taken to the Rayong LTO for transfer of ownership has to be sent to the BKK LTO for processing, takes an extra two weeks.

With many cars owned upcountry, they like to keep a Bangkok registered plate on the car because it looked more sophisticated/HiSo in their eyes or maybe in those of a would-be buyer. (Our SUV in Khon Kaen has a BKK plate,)

I would assume with most bikes they are bought/used locally so have a local registration.

You can, but it does not bring any benefits, instead  lot of bureaucracy. (regulations have changed many years ago, maybe during the Thaksin era).

Indeed I think Thaicbr misunderstands the situation.

If the bike's plate is not changed from a Bangkok Registration to a Rayong Registration for example it does mean that the paperwork taken to the Rayong LTO for transfer of ownership has to be sent to the BKK LTO for processing, takes an extra two weeks. 

With many cars owned upcountry, they like to keep a Bangkok registered plate on the car because it looked more sophisticated/HiSo in their eyes or maybe in those of a would-be buyer. (Our SUV in Khon Kaen has a BKK plate,)

I would assume with most bikes they are bought/used locally so have a local registration.

Nope. Me thinks general confusion is here. Registration in the UK means the paperwork. This gets changed to the new owner. Changing plates to different counties / provinces does not happen in the UK. But it does happen here in Thailand. My reference is simply the transfer of the paperwork From one owner to another. Otherwise you will be liable for any fines etc

Don't worry. It will be up to the person who buys it whether they want to transfer the rego.

Huh????? The registration has to be transferred to the new owner otherwise the person named in the book is liable for any speeding tickets or other transgressions .

When I bought a bike second hand, the transfer was simply written in the green book & both parties signed it (Huh??? to you too) I took it to the local Dept of Transport, changed the plates for new ones, change of ownership - it all happened one-stop in about an hour. The bike needed an inspection but that was from 10 foot away. All very simple. I guess the last owner trusted me to do the transfer.

When I sold it, I simply signed it over & the new owners rode it into the wide blue yonder, never to be heard of again.

The important thing is that the name and address in the green book relate to the owner of the vehicle.

The address of the owner can be in Chiang Mai and yet the bike has Khon Kaen plates. It doesn't matter and is not related.

I live in Chonburi. I have 2 bikes, one on Chonburi plates, one on Bangkok plates but the address in both the green books is my Chonburi address. Every year I renew both tax stickers here in Chonburi. No need to go to Bangkok or to transfer the plates.

When I bought a bike second hand, the transfer was simply written in the green book & both parties signed it (Huh??? to you too) I took it to the local Dept of Transport, changed the plates for new ones, change of ownership - it all happened one-stop in about an hour. The bike needed an inspection but that was from 10 foot away.  All very simple. I guess the last owner trusted me to do the transfer.

When I sold it, I simply signed it over & the new owners rode it into the wide blue yonder, never to be heard of again.

Umm where in the green book was it written? Did you have copies of the old owners ID? And you changed the plates for new ones same day?

Could I ask which transport office?

Because that's totally different to EVERY transfer that I have seen. Was it a long time ago?

Here's a photo of the licence plate, and a scan of the rego sticker from a while back. I'll assume the info will be on them.

Seems as if there won't be any problem just going in to the LTD in Rayong with the necessary documents and the bike, if I need to transfer ownership to someone else.

post-77830-0-56759000-1370547882_thumb.j

post-77830-0-97943800-1370548118_thumb.j

The plate is from Bangkok (Krungthep Mahakon).

The sticker contains the info from the plate (three letters plus Bangkok) and has been issued in Rayong

(last word printed in bold on the pink background).

As you stated: expired, 7 Oct 2012.

Edited by KhunBENQ

When I bought a bike second hand, the transfer was simply written in the green book & both parties signed it (Huh??? to you too) I took it to the local Dept of Transport, changed the plates for new ones, change of ownership - it all happened one-stop in about an hour. The bike needed an inspection but that was from 10 foot away. All very simple. I guess the last owner trusted me to do the transfer.

Which page ,in the green book did both parties sign ?

Umm where in the green book was it written? Did you have copies of the old owners ID? And you changed the plates for new ones same day?

Because that's totally different to EVERY transfer that I have seen. Was it a long time ago?

I think I had got a transfer paper from DMT prior but the previous owner also had thew paperwork.

We filled it out & his wife, who was the owner on paper signed the green book.

He was from Bangkok & I am in Buriam so we met at Korat. This was a couple of years ago. I did the transfer at DMT Buriram a couple of days later & got new plates the same day (in exchange for the old 555 plates). The cursory inspection was done at the same time. We had copies of the owners ID but I do not think we had to use it.

When I bought a bike second hand, the transfer was simply written in the green book & both parties signed it (Huh??? to you too) I took it to the local Dept of Transport, changed the plates for new ones, change of ownership - it all happened one-stop in about an hour. The bike needed an inspection but that was from 10 foot away.  All very simple. I guess the last owner trusted me to do the transfer.

I think I had got a transfer paper from DMT prior but the previous owner also had thew paperwork.

We filled it out & his wife, who was the owner on paper signed the green book.

He was from Bangkok & I am in Buriam so we met at Korat. This was a couple of years ago. I did the transfer at DMT Buriram a couple of days later & got new plates the same day (in exchange for the old 555 plates). The cursory inspection was done at the same time. We had copies of the owners ID but I do not think we had to use it.

So you didn't simply sign the green book then. You had to have the transfer paper work. OK then. Bit different than you suggested.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Forms/paperworks come from the DLT.

You will need someone speaking Thai to assist.

Forms are downloadable:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/eform/

The very first entry is obviously for transfer of ownership for a car (?):

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/eform/files/ins_car_trn.pdf

I don't know whether it applies to motorbikes too.