Where To Buy Keffir Probiotic Yoghurt Grains/starter In Cm

Greeen

I've researching the benefits of probiotic supplements for health and I would like to know if it is possible to buy Keffir grains or a starter kit in Chiang Mai?

I can buy the ready made Keffir yoghurt, but I would like to try making it at home as the shop bought yoghurt is really expensive

thanks

Thanks for the info but I'm not on Facebook and I can't view the page without signing up

well its a group of people interested in Probiotics who share stuff like starter cultures. Often for free.

Not sure what to tell you..

Maybe ask at Ban Suan Pak or Aden health food stores and they should be able help.

• 1 month later...

join this facebook group. Chiang Mai probiotics

https://www.facebook.com/groups/362045903876086/

I've tried to join, but it doesn't look like anyone is "manning the fort". I sent a request to join about a week ago but no response from the group. Like others, I'm trying to find Kefir grains. I'm just coming off a round of antibiotics and want to get the good flora back in my digestive tract. I've been buying Kefir at Adans, but would like to start my own batch.

• 3 months later...

I've got a good batch of kefir grains running right now, which I brought back from Australia last weekend. I can't keep up with production, and they certainly are thriving.

you're welcome to share. PM if you're interested. I'm in Suthep.

Someone else came to see me about kefir months ago, but cannot locate him. Contact me if you read this.

I have no idea why keffir grains are better than anything else (I'm not skeptical, just ignorant of their characteristics), but I very successfully make yoghurt at home just using commercial 'Dutchie' plain yoghurt as a starter. I use 3 little 140g tubs to start a little over 3 litres of milk base. I might be using too much starter, but am reluctant to try 2 tubs or 1 tub in case it doesn't work. The only tool you need is a cooking thermometer of the type you push into a roast turkey.

In case anyone is interested, here is the process:

• take tubs of starter yoghurt out of the fridge and put them in the sun to warm up to something like room temperature
  • sterilise cooking pot, stirring devices, and a large whisk by boiling water in the pot for a few minutes
  • pour water away, fill pot with 3 litres of full fat milk (any brand - the dark blue tops are full fat)
  • heat at a medium heat until it JUST begins to boil - the moment it starts to bubble and rise up, switch off the gas, pronto (it will be at between 95-98 degrees C). Keep a VERY close eye to stop it boiling over. Messy.....though it doesn't spoil the process
  • put lid on pot and allow milk to cool until it is between 50 and 55 degrees C (accuracy is important - which is why the thermometer is vital). I use a fan to quicken the cooling, otherwise it takes an hour or more. With a fan close to the edge of the pot, maybe 25 minutes.
  • when it is between 50 and 55 degrees C, gently stir in the three, 140g tubs of plain, unflavoured Dutchie yoghurt
  • wrap the pot in a towel and sit it outdoors in the sunshine for at least six hours (don't leave it where rain will cool it down, and spray around the pot to stop ants colonising your culinary experiment)
  • bring it indoors and let it sit for a few hours more
  • put it in the fridge overnight
  • wake up to 3 litres of gorgeous, thick, unsweetened plain yoghurt. Wash whisk in clean water, then whisk the yoghurt to a creamy consistency.

Then the difficult bit: not eating it all at once.

Note that this isn't a very cheap process. About 150 baht for milk, 40 baht for starter yoghurt, a few baht on cooking gas. But it's worth it. The quality is sooo much better than commercial yoghurt.

pj

@properjob

Kefir is not the same as yoghurt. The grains are a symbiotic yeast/bacteria culture.

The resulting drink is both fermented and cultured with the consistency of thin fizzy milk.

The taste is like rancid watery beer, kefir is mildly alcoholic.

Edited by FiftyTwo

@properjob

Kefir is not the same as yoghurt. The grains are a symbiotic yeast/bacteria culture.

The resulting drink is both fermented and cultured with the consistency of thin fizzy milk.

Thanks for the information. Makes me look a bit of a chump tongue.png but I deserve that!

Disregard my lengthy post then - though maybe, just maybe, someone prefers real yoghurt to rancid watery beery stuff.

@properjob

Thanks for the information. Makes me look a bit of a chump tongue.png but I deserve that!

Disregard my lengthy post then - though maybe, just maybe, someone prefers real yoghurt to rancid watery beery stuff.

I make both, each have their place.

Yoghurt is food (I eat it because I enjoy it).

Kefir is more like medicine (can't imagine anyone actually liking the taste).

Edited by FiftyTwo