Thailand's D S I Finds Super-Car Reassembly Units Sorely Lacking

webfact

Another example of the wholly corrupt nature of this country, if it were needed.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and smuggling dosen't go on in your country. Or tax evasion if you want to look at it that way.

Funny stuff....Not really sure why they are going after the hiso owners of these cars. It sure seems like it is the importers and dealers they should go after, after all it is that group that brought the cars in and avoided paying the tax. The buyers of these cars simply bought them at an agreed upon price.

Maybe the plan is keep the importers in business so they can keep selling seelling cars to sons of the elites in the future.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Funny stuff....Not really sure why they are going after the hiso owners of these cars. It sure seems like it is the importers and dealers they should go after, after all it is that group that brought the cars in and avoided paying the tax. The buyers of these cars simply bought them at an agreed upon price.

Maybe the plan is keep the importers in business so they can keep selling seelling cars to sons of the elites in the future.

Caveat emptor. You want to buy a flash motor at a cheap price and don't look too hard at the taxes paid, then you are asking to be burned.

Secondly, the flash motors are easy to find, and if they turn out to be dodgy, the buyer will soon rat out the seller.

If you buy a stolen car at home, would you expect to keep it when the cops show up at your door?

If whoever is in charge of customs and excise decided to charge a reasonable rate for imports, people would pay it. As it is, everyone is trying to cheat the system and customs and excise are loosing out on their share. By playing the "were protecting our local labour market" game, all they have managed to do is set up a system for corruption.

Charge a fair amount of import duty, set up businesses that can take care of imported cars, train locals to service, maintain and repair the cars and everyone wins. The guy with the car, the guy that starts the business and the now the fully trained vehicle technician, and to top it off customs and excise get their tax.

If whoever is in charge of customs and excise decided to charge a reasonable rate for imports, people would pay it. As it is, everyone is trying to cheat the system and customs and excise are loosing out on their share. By playing the "were protecting our local labour market" game, all they have managed to do is set up a system for corruption.

Charge a fair amount of import duty, set up businesses that can take care of imported cars, train locals to service, maintain and repair the cars and everyone wins. The guy with the car, the guy that starts the business and the now the fully trained vehicle technician, and to top it off customs and excise get their tax.

I see no reason why a luxury imported vehicle should not be taxed at a higher rate than a locally produced base model. It is just another version of variable tax rates where the rich pay more because they can afford to do so.

I do object to the system in Malaysia which is solely to protect the local manufacturer, and where the rights to import a "given" to politicians to sell or use to gain influence.

I see no reason why a luxury imported vehicle should not be taxed at a higher rate than a locally produced base model. It is just another version of variable tax rates where the rich pay more because they can afford to do so.

I do object to the system in Malaysia which is solely to protect the local manufacturer, and where the rights to import a "given" to politicians to sell or use to gain influence.

I tried to import my cars when I moved here in 2001, a Volvo 480 turbo and a Mahindra jeep. Neither of them is a luxury car, but the import tax was 240% of what the customs guys thought they were worth, which one hopes they use a price guide and not just think up a number. The extortionate rate meant that I sold them at home instead of bringing them here.

I tried to import my cars when I moved here in 2001, a Volvo 480 turbo and a Mahindra jeep. Neither of them is a luxury car, but the import tax was 240% of what the customs guys thought they were worth, which one hopes they use a price guide and not just think up a number. The extortionate rate meant that I sold them at home instead of bringing them here.

Same story with my old Skyline turbo. Making all imports taxable keeps it simple, and the locally made pickups are cheap compared to Oz.

If they set the same tax rate for complete cars and parts assembled, there would be no scam.

Caveat emptor. You want to buy a flash motor at a cheap price and don't look too hard at the taxes paid, then you are asking to be burned.

Secondly, the flash motors are easy to find, and if they turn out to be dodgy, the buyer will soon rat out the seller.

If you buy a stolen car at home, would you expect to keep it when the cops show up at your door?

If you buy it from a grey importer it would ordinarily be 10 to 20% cheaper, imported as a whole car, tax paid. So, in that situation, is it the buyers responsiblity to ask the dealer to provide copies of all the import documents to prove that he hadn't declared it as a knockdown. I would agree, anyone finding a car 50% cheaper should get a little jumpy, but if you look at it logically, the grey dealer already has 10 to 20% on the main importer, why would he give away anymore?

Anyway, just shows that they need to reform the stupid system, because at 300%+ there is always going to be smuggling. It is just tooooo attractive.

You can bet some very high-up people are involved in this. Either the car owners themselves and/or the government officials who were paid off ... including, I'm guessing, some of the people supposedly investigating it all. And there's no way these big wigs are ever going to be punished. What a show.

<deleted> is a godown???

Sounds like a Pattaya word.

Thaiglish for warehouse. Asked 1mn times why, and all I can come up with a practical joke played on Thailand by gi's in the war.

Actually the origin is much older than that. It goes back to the British in Hong Kong. It probably came from some Chinese word for warehouse.

<deleted> is a godown???

Sounds like a Pattaya word.

Thaiglish for warehouse. Asked 1mn times why, and all I can come up with a practical joke played on Thailand by gi's in the war.

Actually the origin is much older than that. It goes back to the British in Hong Kong. It probably came from some Chinese word for warehouse.

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?source=search_app#gs_rn=16&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=fK3C2unbwcR8awdSm4eTGw&suggest=p&cp=5&gs_id=i&xhr=t&q=godown&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=godow&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47534661,d.bmk&fp=38047d7bbd62cfd0&biw=1600&bih=775

Thats using logic, Does not happen in Thailand!

Another example of the wholly corrupt nature of this country, if it were needed.

Another example of the wholly negative attitude some people have to this country. Not needed.

Another example of the wholly negative attitude some people have to this country. Not needed.

Actually if TV did not bombard us on a virtually daily basis with these endless corruption stories, maybe we would have a better attitude about Thailand.... Just a thought.

I had heard a rumour of a clamp down coming from an order from Dubai 6 months ago and ignored it as rubbish.

My guess is this might simply be a case of the boss in Dubai stamping down on the immoral skim outside of his control and showing just how much power he has; it would not have taken much to know about a shipment and then sabotage it to take down a few people and get them owing him, that's how his brain works. It also may be a bargaining chip against BJT some of whom are involved (at a guess) as after all, skim is fine, as long as he knows about it.

However, 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree' it is very logical to ask how for example someone like Chalerm has so many fancy cars, or how his sons have a plethora of fancy sports cars, or how the various women surrounding that clan have fancy Euro automobiles. And he's not the only one.

During the TRT days, Sanoh discovered and explained that any skim (and there was plenty to go around back then just as there is now via the rice scam, the energy industry investment, water investment, infrastructure etc etc) had to be approved and channeled through the party via than having lots of hands in the till. There was a reason why he was so upset back then, all these godfather guys have enormous egos and never really thought that someone else should be telling them how to run their business.

I had heard a rumour of a clamp down coming from an order from Dubai 6 months ago and ignored it as rubbish.

My guess is this might simply be a case of the boss in Dubai stamping down on the immoral skim outside of his control and showing just how much power he has; it would not have taken much to know about a shipment and then sabotage it to take down a few people and get them owing him, that's how his brain works. It also may be a bargaining chip against BJT some of whom are involved (at a guess) as after all, skim is fine, as long as he knows about it.

However, 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree' it is very logical to ask how for example someone like Chalerm has so many fancy cars, or how his sons have a plethora of fancy sports cars, or how the various women surrounding that clan have fancy Euro automobiles. And he's not the only one.

During the TRT days, Sanoh discovered and explained that any skim (and there was plenty to go around back then just as there is now via the rice scam, the energy industry investment, water investment, infrastructure etc etc) had to be approved and channeled through the party via than having lots of hands in the till. There was a reason why he was so upset back then, all these godfather guys have enormous egos and never really thought that someone else should be telling them how to run their business.

Maybe this is a good fellas moment. Steal the money but be a bit subtle about what you buy with it.

post-174368-0-17089700-1370748585_thumb.