Promenada Mall - Opening Feed Back

SDH

I have been told by 'Someone' in the Trade that Villa Mark will open a branch in CM.

john

I hope so, it will give Rim Ping some stiff competition. Their branch at the Avenue in Pattaya has been very popular with the expat community for many years...

Sorry but I have to disagree - Villa in Pattaya is going downhill and is very pricey, Rimping is much better quality and has some great fresh produce.

I called in this afternoon as I was passing. You've got to think that they're regretting opening with more than half the building still under construction but it was an interesting visit - just don't go hoping to have some kind of shopping experience. Here are a couple of pictures of the main area that you can access.

i-kg2dnbP-XL.jpg

i-rSvTwmD-XL.jpg

An interesting and open design which, if they can resist the temptation to clutter it up with dozens of cheap signs and loud promotions, could make for a pleasant atmosphere. Unfortunately, the volume from the big screen showing previews outside the cinema on the next floor was already too high as far as I am concerned so I have a gloomy feeling that the big space will host the relentlessly awful super loud promotional events that make an afternoon at Airport Plaza so grim while the gain upstairs will be pushed to no 11 to compensate.

Good news for ice cream connoisseurs. On the car park level, Piccallo ice cream has a small concession with prices about the same as Sesto's at Big C extra. They used to have a pitch at Airport Plaza and then vanished but the product is a cut about most although the choice is limited.

The clothes shop that's obviously the anchor (forgot the name: so much for branding) is nicely done and has interesting product (much made in china, I noticed) although at those prices I have the feeling that shopping in the UK would probably be cheaper.

Great pictures. I like you hope they don't clutter it up. Probably wait a month or so until after the grand opening scheduled

for July 12whistling.gif. Going to be interesting when they get all the new malls open. They are suposed to be doing some thing with

the outside area sort of a park like area. Or at least that was on the plans two years ago.

I was talking with a friend today and he said he had heard there had been a lot of deaths with the workman there. Any one know any thing about that?sad.png

Yes, I was told by a Rimping manager that they are opening a restaurant there.

Should be good. I went to a function last year where Rimping catered and the food was excellent. I had fish and chips and the g/f had rigatoni with Bolognese sauce. I was surprised how good it was and they had a great selection of wine as well.

Yes, I was told by a Rimping manager that they are opening a restaurant there.

Should be good. I went to a function last year where Rimping catered and the food was excellent. I had fish and chips and the g/f had rigatoni with Bolognese sauce. I was surprised how good it was and they had a great selection of wine as well.

Wow, if it's true and they have a restaurant it will be great, I wonder if the customer (us & them) will be able to buy wine at the Rimping wine shop price and crank a few jugs of that back as well, they do have a grand selection there!! Woooo Hoooo!!

Thanks for posting the photos Greenside. Just confirms my feeling that there is absolutely no reason to ever go there. I might check out the cinema one night though.

In no time there will be little stalls set up under the escalator, staircases and so forth, selling everything from deep fried snacks to bus tickets, etc. like at Meechoke Plaza which really looks tacky.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the photos Greenside. Just confirms my feeling that there is absolutely no reason to ever go there. I might check out the cinema one night though.

In no time there will be little stalls set up under the escalator, staircases and so forth, selling everything from deep fried snacks to bus tickets, etc. like at Meechoke Plaza which really looks tacky.

Amazingly enough the first time I went to the "Harbour Mall" around the fountain there were no carts, but alas they are here now and plenty of them, they told me they wouldn't have either, but they are there, let us see how it unfolds at Promenada Mall, I met the guy that runs it, he doesn't appear to take much crap, let us watch and see....

Sadly, I'll have to take back my comment about ice cream. Went there today but Piccolo's booth had been taken by a bored looking guy selling shaved ice things. Really, the place looked desperate - although a lot more shop fronts were occupied, they were all makeshift set ups like the BP World displays that set up in Airport Plaza whenever there'd an empty spot for a few weeks.

The kids play area does look promising though - 270 baht for three hours isn't unreasonable if it's supervised too. Today they had 10 staff sitting around doing nothing and I asked when it is going to open. Turns out they have 10 people on the payroll just to give out leaflets for another 9 days. Ouch!

Was today aswell at the Promenada, noticed a few things, no English signs at the foodcourt, ceilings not ready yet in the part thats already open. The few shops that where open had hardly any costomers. Went to the Premiere of World War Z, maybe 40 out of 300 seats sold. Uniqlo had shouting staff to lure people in that weren't there. Looks like the Promenada still has a long way to go and the opening was a bit premature.

Wish them goodluck, will go again in a few months.

• Like 1

I think they opened too early. First impression parked in covered lot in a construction site and had to take a songtell to a building that was open was grim and then having to manouver car between workmen moving heavy equip. in the wrong direction (towards us on a one way lane) at night in the pouring rain. It's on such a large plot of land why can't they make the parking places large enough to open a car door so my 35 kg GF can get out? So few shops open, only food was food court where the 4 stalls we ate at we all really bad except the lady who also has a stall in Airport and at another new mimi-mall who makes fresh stir-fyry etc. (even has fresh fish!). The Thais with us even asked why they allow so many noodle shops! The place which sells a lot of different flavors of macaroons for 35 bht ea. is exceptionally good. Was told made in CM by French Chef. I found the design to be unimaginative similar to the new malls that were built in America in the 80's and expect that it will be very confusing to find stores once complete. Soft opening? More like a mushy one! But hope the ice rink isn't as well because we are really looking forward to lacing up the old skates again.

I stopped by and as others mentioned, it's a construction site. My interest is strictly the cinema so I'll probably go back for that soon, especially if they are not having big crowds. I'm not a mall guy so the rest isn't really important for me. But it is funny the way they have no system to keep you out of the construction.

Was today aswell at the Promenada, noticed a few things, no English signs at the foodcourt,

I noticed that too & thought it might make it tough for many.

I can read but it takes awhile

I did eat at the place furthest? in on the right.

They have a good steak in pork,chicken or fish...maybe beef too? but they have a pepper sauce on it.Very Tasty

It is served with fries a nice salad & a small side of sauteed carrots & cherry tomatoes.

I had the pork it was 89 baht & dang good + filling portion wise.

Prepared like a chef in a restaurant more than a food court so takes a lil while, maybe 10 minutes.

This place had sample plates of what they sell on the counter & they sell some interesting plates.

Spaghetti with carbonara sauce or white clam I think? Also pork chops, burgers a few things actually

Also have about 10 or more dressings available.

Quite good & I was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by mania

Was there on Friday. My second visit (not a fan of malls, but other half wanted to go to the cinema)..

First visit..not much there, but quite clean and tidy..so although a way to go...looked promising.

Second visit.. God awful racket from some live accoustic band with a woman whos voice sounded like a cat being stangled. Of course there is speakers on every floor...so not much chance of getting away from the headache inducing racket.

Floor area and small shops now occupied more....with market style tat and horrible processed food stalls..food on a stick etc. Stall owners sitting about playing on mobile phones looking bored with fingers up noses.

Nice layout venue now looking like its a host to squatters. Not at all the classy feel they seemed to have been aiming for.

Maybe its just temporary for now.....

• Like 1

I have been told by 'Someone' in the Trade that Villa Mark will open a branch in CM.

john

I hope so, it will give Rim Ping some stiff competition. Their branch at the Avenue in Pattaya has been very popular with the expat community for many years...

Sorry but I have to disagree - Villa in Pattaya is going downhill and is very pricey, Rimping is much better quality and has some great fresh produce.

I think Rimping is one of the best things in Thailand (or at least CM). It has an awesome selection of things various foreigners would like to be able to have, good convenience foods, fruits from all over the world, (at a very high price, but still, if you want it, they have it ...I think the high prices are due to import duty more than a Rimping policy, but not sure).

For me, places like Rimping, were a convincing factor in deciding to live in Thailand and I am sure I am not the only one. (Well there are the guys here, who care mostly about Thai women I guess, and that accounts for 95-99% of foreigners moving here ...so maybe places like Rimping are only a factor for a small percentage of us?)

It must be at least a secondary factor for those of us who live in cities where we can take advantage of such things??? Well who knows, but for me, places like Rimping and Homepro, make living here so much easier and better, I can't imagine living here (as easily and happily) without them! These two places have never let me down in nearly 10 years here. And prices aren't too bad, especially if you know about their deals (buy 1 get 1 free) on a regular basis and a few other things/deals.

I can say, that one day, when I move out of Thailand, and speak badly about many things here, Rimping will be a shining light in my banter. I am a big fan!

john

I think Rimping is one of the best things in Thailand (or at least CM). It has an awesome selection of things various foreigners would like to be able to have, good convenience foods, fruits from all over the world, (at a very high price, but still, if you want it, they have it ...I think the high prices are due to import duty more than a Rimping policy, but not sure).

For me, places like Rimping, were a convincing factor in deciding to live in Thailand and I am sure I am not the only one. (Well there are the guys here, who care mostly about Thai women I guess, and that accounts for 95-99% of foreigners moving here ...so maybe places like Rimping are only a factor for a small percentage of us?)

It must be at least a secondary factor for those of us who live in cities where we can take advantage of such things??? Well who knows, but for me, places like Rimping and Homepro, make living here so much easier and better, I can't imagine living here (as easily and happily) without them! These two places have never let me down in nearly 10 years here. And prices aren't too bad, especially if you know about their deals (buy 1 get 1 free) on a regular basis and a few other things/deals.

I can say, that one day, when I move out of Thailand, and speak badly about many things here, Rimping will be a shining light in my banter. I am a big fan!

Rimping have several English speaking staff at the small section they've opened so far at Promenada.

I Overheard one Rimping lady (middle aged, so perhaps she's from the family) telling a farang that the part already opened is less than 2% of the total floor space. She also mentioned they intend to expand their freshly cooked 'food to go' food selections. The farang asked 'why don't you open a restaurant here? Response: 'maybe'.

checked it out yesterday. absolutely floored that theyve devoted that wondrous food court to such low-grade food options. breathtaking all glass view to suthep and you must settle for 40 thb, food court in the basement of big c style food. yuck.

also thought the place was going to be high-end...didnt see any high-end shops at all...maybe theyre coming?

Edited by samsara

35 baht for a single macaroon cookie not high-end enough for you? smile.png That's higher-end (price-wise anyway) than the Oriental Hotel.

Anyway, I think the food center is great. It's a FOOD CENTER; a 'high-end' food center with 'high-end', high-priced dishes that you still have to carry to your table somewhere on a tray, jail cantine style, can never be high-end in my book. Contradictio in Terminis.

Happily, higher end *restaurants* are nearby, and many still due to open including Duke's.

I for one was very pleased that the prices were kept quite reasonable, for all the common Thai food. A lot of it was quite good, too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

35 baht for a single macaroon cookie not high-end enough for you? smile.png That's higher-end (price-wise anyway) than the Oriental Hotel.

Anyway, I think the food center is great. It's a FOOD CENTER; a 'high-end' food center with 'high-end', high-priced dishes that you still have to carry to your table somewhere on a tray, jail cantine style, can never be high-end in my book. Contradictio in Terminis.

Happily, higher end *restaurants* are nearby, and many still due to open including Duke's.

I for one was very pleased that the prices were kept quite reasonable, for all the common Thai food. A lot of it was quite good, too.

Agree on all points.

it should be a food loft (like in central chidlom in bkk), not some run-of-the-mill thai, quasi street food offering. who goes to a mall to eat that level of food?

People who appreciate basic Thai comfort food for a quick lunch, but don't feel like sitting on a plastic chair next to a road at some cart that doesn't have running water?

And as for how many people that would be: so far the food center seems to be the busiest place in the mall where people actually spend money.. (Along with the cinema)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

it should be a food loft (like in central chidlom in bkk), not some run-of-the-mill thai, quasi street food offering. who goes to a mall to eat that level of food?

People who appreciate basic Thai comfort food for a quick lunch, but don't feel like sitting on a plastic chair next to a road at some cart that doesn't have running water?

And as for how many people that would be: so far the food center seems to be the busiest place in the mall where people actually spend money.. (Along with the cinema)

seeing as to how those are basically the only 2 places to spend money, not sure how much weight that statement carries tongue.png

perhaps festival or maya will have something better than a copy of the basement food court at ksk sad.png

• Like 1

35 baht for a single macaroon cookie

cheaper and better at subway.

On a good note, there was some kind of event that had free finger foods and beer. I'm not actually sure if i was supposed to be eating and drinking it, but no one stopped me.

You didn't think of asking then ?

Always easier to apologise than ask IMO :D