French President Hollande Confuses Japan For China

webfact

OP, nooooooooooooo problem, our UK PM confuses UK with M............m countries. coffee1.gif

Well, he lives and works in Londonistan. smile.png

Did you know that now in UK you can get your head removed to comply with stuff. Fortunately we no longer have the ladder rest on lamp posts for other stuff.sad.png

OP, nooooooooooooo problem, our UK PM confuses UK with M............m countries. coffee1.gif

Did you know that now in UK you can get your head removed to comply with stuff. Fortunately we no longer have the ladder rest on lamp posts for other stuff.sad.png

Even in Turkey there's rebellion going on against it, which is long past due.

Hollande has had to backtrack on his promises of no austerity. I'm generally opposed to austerity but the French state can use a good dose of it, same as Greece and Spain, and others too. At least the French resist the foreign cultural impositions and the effects of the religious influx, even if it's for the wrong reasons. Actually, opposing reactionaries per se is a pretty good reason of action.

Was it the Archbishop of Canterbury who a few years ago said Sharia law would be okay in Britain if that's what certain people wanted for themselves? Whomever it was, doesn't he have any knowledge of history or any idea of something we loosely call progress? Being accommodating is one thing, being absurd is another.

Edited by Publicus

Hollande...

*facepalm*

Francois Hollande being the prez of France, I'd been thinking Holland the country, but thx anyway.

And had I been the doctor, I'd have been French and speaking in French - "Hollande".

As with so many of us, my high school French is awfully rusty.

So let's keep this simple.

The country.

Holland is not a country. The Netherlands is.

Well the Netherlands is not a 'country' either. Now you are delving into a conundrum difficult for someone to grasp coming from a country less than 300 years old. Europe's several thousand years will perplex most people. Technically there may not be a country called Holland either, but the Government travel website is named Holland .com and not Netherlands .Com. Furthermore if you watch the next world cup soccer event you will see there is no team called the 'Netherlands', the team is called 'Holland'. The use in English language is completely interchangeable as it is for 'Dutch' people.

Regarding President Hollande the gaff is nowhere near as significant as it would have been had he been in China and called them Japanese!

Trying hard to figure out what you mean . .. but you're simply not making any sense - could you re-phrase in English, pelase

for all readers, I would like to confirm that my *facepalm* was meant for President (arf...) Hollande and not the Dutch region.

besides, Mods or Admins... can we have a *facepalm* emoticon please?

Trying hard to figure out what you mean . .. but you're simply not making any sense - could you re-phrase in English, pelase

Aaaaah mon amis, your little gray cells do not see my trees from the wood nes pa. Bon, do not worry. All will be revealed. Sorry, English pelase I noo understand. I am Belgian.

post-41816-0-80696200-1370787799_thumb.j

smile.png

I like votre picture Mssr tansam. Mon dieu, votre mustache! Izzit recent?

I'm afraid Mssr Hollande doesn't get around much outside the confines of Europe, travelling mostly the Paris-Berlin route - Paris-Brussels too I'd guess. He's probably never seen a Godzilla movie either laugh.png . Seeing just one is unforgettable. cheesy.gif

And I'd reiterate my request to skip the warmed over stew that is European history. Who cares to talk about the origins of Belgium or get entangled in what is the Kingdom of the Netherlands??? These low countries and others, too many with their ethnic (and linguistic) snarlups.

Hollande...

*facepalm*

Francois Hollande being the prez of France, I'd been thinking Holland the country, but thx anyway.

And had I been the doctor, I'd have been French and speaking in French - "Hollande".

As with so many of us, my high school French is awfully rusty.

So let's keep this simple.

The country.

Holland is not a country. The Netherlands is.

Well the Netherlands is not a 'country' either. Now you are delving into a conundrum difficult for someone to grasp coming from a country less than 300 years old. Europe's several thousand years will perplex most people. Technically there may not be a country called Holland either, but the Government travel website is named Holland .com and not Netherlands .Com. Furthermore if you watch the next world cup soccer event you will see there is no team called the 'Netherlands', the team is called 'Holland'. The use in English language is completely interchangeable as it is for 'Dutch' people.

Regarding President Hollande the gaff is nowhere near as significant as it would have been had he been in China and called them Japanese!

Time for an educational interlude;

The Netherlands explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc

The correct name for Japan is Nippon. Apparently, when Marco Polo arrived, he misunderstand the name and confused the country name with the word Juban, which is an undershirt. Nippon is not the land of the undershirt.

There is no "China". Rather, there is a People's Republic of China. However, if one really wants to be pedantic, the term should be "Zhongguo", the Middle Kingdom as this includes the areas commonly referred to as Macau and Taiwan.

Ok, now back to your discussion of pubs. tongue.png

Edited by geriatrickid

It happens when jetlagged. Had it been PM Yingluck, the abusers would be out in full force.

Thank goodness it wasn't an American president or this topic would be at 10 pages by now! laugh.png

Maybe he is half American! cheesy.gif Just a joke before you all start.whistling.gif