Using Internet Temporarily In Uk

cmsally

I will travelling to the UK and need to connect to the internet with my laptop(at least 2-3hrs/day)

Last time went for only a few days and used Loxinfo roaming - seemed expensive.

My house has a telephone line but no internet connection and not worth getting a permanent one as no one permanently there to use.

Anyone have recommendations for good temporary service. I'll only need it for 2 weeks but don't mind paying for unlimited 1 month usage if worth it and I can hand over to someone on a different dial up connection (ie friends in a different house) (no broadband where I live).

Thanks for any ideas.

Fast4.net is £6 per month for dial up, one month minimum contract and unlimited time on line, but cut off every 2 hours. You can dial up again immediately.

Quickly beats the 0845 numbers that cost 3p per minute on cost.

If you do use fast4 their website is www.fast4.net but they also have a freephone sign on on 0800 089 0076 working hours Monday to Friday. Use a credit card and you can get immediate connection.

From my experience they tend to bill every 30 days, even in a 31 day month - but do put it right when you complain.

Also their terms and conditions say you must give 30 days notice of cancellation. I now ignore that as they always cancel the connection a day or so after I give them 30 days notice.

Fastnet sounds good, but you might want to check out Aardvaak.

No contract, no advance payments, no credit cards etc., free isp. You just pay the 0845 rate when you connect, which , as mentioned above, is 3p per min from any phone. You can set it up now in Thailand for nothing and use it when you like in the UK. I used it during a 3 week visit last year and found it excellent.

Have a looksy:

www.aardvaak.co.uk/

There's also Onetel Casual User at 1.5 p per minute at all times. You'll connect via a Freephone number.

Looky here; http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php?node=internet-dialup

Also, consider that you'll have three POP3 email addresses and that you'll be able to keep them, along with the 10MB webspace. Webmail is also provided.

Plus no nasty 50p per minute technical support.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu