Water Pipe Smell

Have apartments with roof top water tanks. Water is well filtered and clean but in some of the rooms there is a slight smell when the tap is first turned on.

The smell goes away once the first few seconds of water flow so I presume it's just a few feet of water that sits in the pipes, but they are PVC pipes so don't really understand why this happens. Any enlightening ideas would be great..thanks

Can only speculate on the smell but a proper filtration kit should take care of it. Many such available at Home Pro and similar, ranging in price from under 1k baht to multi-moon baht. The three-unit filter kits should do well but bay be overkill, so might try the under-counter modular units where you can add the stages that do distinct tasks (filter, deoxidize, deodorize).

If there is any airspace in the water line and especially when temps. are high, small amounts of gas can be generated by decomposing algae, either in the water itself or attached to the inside walls of the pipe.

In my hometown in Massachusetts the tapwater would sometimes smell funky. Some of the municipal underground water pipes were over 100 years old and had all sorts of mineral build up inside. I put an expensive filtration system into my tapwater lines but even then the water could sometimes be skunky.

Had a similar problem with our water in the kitchen. Funny smell the first few moments when turned on in the mornings or if not been used for some time. All other taps the water came out just fine.

After some months the kitchen (cheap) tap broke at the swivel base and after fitting a new tap the smell disappeared.

Looking at the old broken I saw that the metal was really cheap and nasty and had a definite pong to it.

On another occasion after replacing one of those flexible metal shower hoses the water in the shower had a funny smell. Used it for a few weeks hoping the smell would wash away but it didn't so replaced the smelly hose and the smell disappeared.

smile.png