Extreme Amount Of Calories In Fast Food Pizza

MrHammer

I workout a bit less as Tropo but still more then the 45 minutes the experts are talking about. I don't talk to anyone as I train alone. The body does get used to longer workouts if you have trained for a long time. I would not advise it for beginners.

I have done HIIT and I would do it no more then 1 / 2 times a week if you combine it with heavy lifting else you are sure to burnout. I prefer MAF cardio next to my lifting if I am in a weight loss phase.

I am not saying that what I do is perfect for everyone but it works for me.

What do you get your heart rate up to when you do HIT?

I average around 150 bpm when playing squash so I reckon it is probably as good as a HIT workout.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I workout a bit less as Tropo but still more then the 45 minutes the experts are talking about. I don't talk to anyone as I train alone. The body does get used to longer workouts if you have trained for a long time. I would not advise it for beginners.

I have done HIIT and I would do it no more then 1 / 2 times a week if you combine it with heavy lifting else you are sure to burnout. I prefer MAF cardio next to my lifting if I am in a weight loss phase.

I average around 150 bpm when playing squash so I reckon it is probably as good as a HIT workout.

On HIIT my heart-rate goes way over the 150 even over 170 i believe i got it up to 177 once. Its an all out effort going like your life depends on it. I don't hold back then. I do HIIT on my rower once in a while its great (once your done) but I would not advise anyone to do it a lot if you are also lifting weights during the rest of the week. Your central nervous system wont recover that easy then.

On HIIT my heart-rate goes way over the 150 even over 170 i believe i got it up to 177 once. Its an all out effort going like your life depends on it. I don't hold back then. I do HIIT on my rower once in a while its great (once your done) but I would not advise anyone to do it a lot if you are also lifting weights during the rest of the week. Your central nervous system wont recover that easy then.

I cant get to 170 my max is around 160 odd but you are a fair bit younger than me.smile.png

I used to do interval training on the bike like 8secs flat out as hard as I could and then 12 secs rest for 30 mins.

Heart rate got up to around 163-165 but seeing I am in my mid fifties I can get much higher these days than that.

I didnt really notice that it improved my health, fitness or lost me any weight so I stopped doing it as it is also quite boring and stressful on the joints.

Edited by Tolley

I cant get to 170 my max is around 160 odd but you are a fair bit younger than me.smile.png

I used to do interval training on the bike like 8secs flat out as hard as I could and then 12 secs rest for 30 mins.

Heart rate got up to around 163-165 but seeing I am in my mid fifties I can get much higher these days than that.

I didnt really notice that it improved my health, fitness or lost me any weight so I stopped doing it as it is also quite boring and stressful on the joints.

The stress is not there when you are rowing, but its extremely hard mentally too. I dread doing it, i only like it once it is done but it does help improve stamina a lot. I am not sure about how much it helps to burn fat. I think its easier to burn fat of with normal cardio and train weights to keep the muscle. HIIT does have its place but I would not overdo it.

Rob, I think it depends on what you want to achieve, the OP says he is too fat so lose fat is his goal.

Others may want a ripped look, or build muscles whatever.

Cardio just wears the body out and as many have said does not help reduce fat.

If you learn to HIIT properly and safely, never mind what age, you will get to a place where it needs to be done only once a week and you will maintain your look even whilst enjoying the odd pizza and boozy night out.

The real problem in Thailand is the temperature and humidity.

It demotivates very easily.

We are back in Europe for only 2 weeks and I have lost 3Kg with one huge HIIT and regular walks or bicycle rides to visit offices etc.

My wife has lost about 1.5Kg too but she was only 52.5Kg against my 76Kg at the start here.

I am 71 and she is 51.

Horses for courses I think.

I don´t want to have my life organised round training.

I want something that is (easy is not the word) but do-able and fits in with living and keeps the fat off whilst keeping us fit at the same time.

HIIT seems to be the way for us.

• Like 1

Problem here is that doing more exercise tends to increase appetite.

You may find it surprising that doing a lot of intense exercise (weight training) can reduce the appetite. I often have to force myself to eat more on the days I go to the gym because I just don't have the desire to eat. I always eat less on my gym days. This may depend on the length of the exercise routine and how hard you push.

If I'm at the gym for 2 hours, that's at least about 5 hours less in the day that I'm thinking about food. About 1.5 - 2 hours of not eating leading up to a workout, and at least 1 hour cooldown period. A good protein/carb meal about 1.5 to 2 hours before the workout keeps me going for the duration.

So I'm getting a double benefit here.... burning more calories and eating less.

I'm not sure how long cardio would affect my appetite as I don't do long cardio. Perhaps someone who does could chime in.

I'm affected pretty much the same , for approximately the same times too after doing approx 45-70 mins fairly intense cardio (around 1000kcals)

Rob, I think it depends on what you want to achieve, the OP says he is too fat so lose fat is his goal.

Others may want a ripped look, or build muscles whatever.

Cardio just wears the body out and as many have said does not help reduce fat.

If you learn to HIIT properly and safely, never mind what age, you will get to a place where it needs to be done only once a week and you will maintain your look even whilst enjoying the odd pizza and boozy night out.

The real problem in Thailand is the temperature and humidity.

It demotivates very easily.

We are back in Europe for only 2 weeks and I have lost 3Kg with one huge HIIT and regular walks or bicycle rides to visit offices etc.

My wife has lost about 1.5Kg too but she was only 52.5Kg against my 76Kg at the start here.

I am 71 and she is 51.

Horses for courses I think.

I don´t want to have my life organised round training.

I want something that is (easy is not the word) but do-able and fits in with living and keeps the fat off whilst keeping us fit at the same time.

HIIT seems to be the way for us.

I am not really against HIIT its not really a good thing to do too much. 1 time a week no problem, a few times a week when doing only HIIT no problem.. more then that and other sports is asking for a burnout.

HIIT certainly has its place and it does help you get stamina that much faster.

• Like 1

Replace the pizza with boiled egg & caviar.

ed: and IMO deadlift is not a good thing for lower back, lest you have the hex thing rob has,

stick with squats.

I do DB squats myself, i cant mess up my back with it

Obviously every person is a different case, but I have a herniated disc and deadlifts have helped me tremendously, then again I don't let my ego get the better of me and keep the form absolutely perfect.
  • Like 2

in our next report, the astonishingly high sugar content of sugar, followed by coffee, does it keep you up at night too?

5 5 5 5 5 5 5

Thanks for that.

Were we being too serious for you?

If so, try another thread - you should enjoy the Worst Joke Ever - thousands o jokes for you there.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice here, I "liked" your postssmile.png

Someone asked for stats so I'm 31, 186cm/103kg. I have lifted weights for several years now and have quite high maxes (no bragging).

A couple of years back I was 90 kg and could eat literally everything as long as I did those 3xweek sessions. Apparantly can't do that anymore. I also find it difficult to estimate how much to eat over here, particularly with all the rice. Every meal is 2/3 rice and only 1/3 protein. Difficult to know how many calories are there and one typical thai meal is far from enough to satisfy my hunger.

If you are eating Thai then try to reduce the amount of white rice you eat, I would suggest that you order an extra vegetable dish (my favourite is Morning Glory stir fried with chillis and garlic), and only eat 1/2 or 1/3 of the rice you get served with your other dish.

If you are eating Western, then stay away from any low fat stuff as its loaded with sugar to make it taste better. Do you have a microwave? Chop up a head of brocolli, put it in a microwave bowl, run it under the tap to wash it, pour off the excess water, cover and microwave on high for 1 min 30 to 2 mins. Be careful when you take the top off as the steam will be very hot!! I grind a load of black pepper over mine and eat it just like that. Makes a great snack healthy snack.

And for comparison, I'm almost the same height as you, but I've just turned 46 and today the scales said I'm 78 kgs.

I would highly recommend you re-evaluate your diet and instead of eating pizza a couple of times a week limit it to once and then try reducing it to once every 2 weeks and then once a month....

I'm guessing that you probably don't cook your own food, so the toughest thing for you is probably knowing what to eat. Unfortunately the answer to that is a bit more involved. Feel free to message me if you want.

Also if you know how to download movies then search for the film "Fat Sick and nearly Dead" It will amaze you.

One last thing... Don't give up trying, slow steady results will get you there.

• Like 1

Replace the pizza with boiled egg & caviar.

ed: and IMO deadlift is not a good thing for lower back, lest you have the hex thing rob has,

stick with squats.

I do DB squats myself, i cant mess up my back with it

I find deadlifts to be really good for building my back muscles. You have to go slow-ish and keep the form strict.

• Like 1

With DB squats you can max out while still having a strict form,

with deadlift the back will always be the weak restricting spot,

same as the back machine that remind of rowing,

with no support the lower back will be at risk at high loads.

A superior alternative is the same machine principle but with an cushioned anvil in the chest,

off-loading the lower back

Edited by poanoi

With DB squats you can max out while still having a strict form, with deadlift the back will always be the weak spot

I disagree, with good form deadlift is absolutely king for the back. If it was so dangerous there would be far more reports of it going wrong. Just look at all the power-lifters doing it. Its all a question of good coordination, however as with any exercise there will always be a risk. I have never had a back injury even though I do a lot of squat and deadlifts. But I did have a shoulder problem for a short while.

I actually almost never read about people messing their back up, I am sure it happens and know of someone who recently had a problem (Hi Tropo) but in general if you do it correctly its not that dangerous.

The hex thing that you have came about to address this issue,
it is good only up until you go heavy, or get too tired to remember form above all.
leadImage.jpg

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../the_trap_bar_deadlift

Trap Bar Benefits
Less stress on the spine

As
others have pointed out, the biggest drawback of both the straight bar
deadlift and the barbell back squat is the amount of harmful stress
it puts on the lumbar spine. Both exercises require the weight to be
some distance away from the axis of rotation where the work is being
performed (i.e., the hip), thus relying on the back to act like a
crowbar to move the weight.

Edited by poanoi

The hex thing that you have came about to address this issue,

it is good only up until you go heavy, or get too tired to remember form above all.

Actually upload a pic of that splendid hex thing, it will be of interest for some for sure

Though I agree the hex bar does help, the movement is not the same. (real similar that is for sure). Thing is I believe deadllift has the potential for injury but by treating it with respect you can get a real hard workout and still go heavy.

I saw this interesting piece right below the link

Hex bar dead lift vs barbell deadlift - Bodybuilding.com Forums

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142807481&page... - Cached

What is the difference between the two. ->At my school they only allow hex dead lift because to many idiots messed their back up with poor form.<-

Edited by poanoi

With DB squats you can max out while still having a strict form, with deadlift the back will always be the weak spot

I disagree, with good form deadlift is absolutely king for the back. If it was so dangerous there would be far more reports of it going wrong. Just look at all the power-lifters doing it. Its all a question of good coordination, however as with any exercise there will always be a risk. I have never had a back injury even though I do a lot of squat and deadlifts. But I did have a shoulder problem for a short while.

I actually almost never read about people messing their back up, I am sure it happens and know of someone who recently had a problem (Hi Tropo) but in general if you do it correctly its not that dangerous.

The forums are jam-packed with people who messed up their back doing deadlifts, squats and all other types of exercises. Most experienced powerlifters can tell you about (previous) back and knee injuries. Louie Simmons, the only guy over 50 to squat 900 lbs has had 2 back surgeries. He's developed some innovative ways to prevent back and knee injuries and break records.

In reality very few gym goers do deadlifts. You'll hardly ever see anyone doing them in public gyms, and when you do they're usually doing them very light. They are just not a popular bodybuilding exercise. Many modern gyms don't even allow them.

... however I would say that squats causes more back injuries than deadlifts.

• Like 1

The forums are jam-packed with people who messed up their back doing deadlifts, squats and all other types of exercises. Most experienced powerlifters can tell you about (previous) back and knee injuries. Louie Simmons, the only guy over 50 to squat 900 lbs has had 2 back surgeries. He's developed some innovative ways to prevent back and knee injuries and break records.

In reality very few gym goers do deadlifts. You'll hardly ever see anyone doing them in public gyms, and when you do they're usually doing them very light. They are just not a popular bodybuilding exercise. Many modern gyms don't even allow them.

... however I would say that squats causes more back injuries than deadlifts.

Tropo, but are according to you deadlift injuries easier to get then other injuries (if form is good). Every exercise holds a risk, I doubt there is an athlete that never had any injuries. I think us weightlifters come off quite good if you compare us to soccer guys.

Tropo, but are according to you deadlift injuries easier to get then other injuries (if form is good). Every exercise holds a risk, I doubt there is an athlete that never had any injuries. I think us weightlifters come off quite good if you compare us to soccer guys.

I think that injuries from heavy deadlifts tend to be very serious in many cases, due to the stresses involved. If you're going to get an injury it's likely to be on your heaviest set when you're busting your guts. It's the exercise where you're lifting the most weight. My recent injury came on my last rep of my heaviest set for the day. Up to that point my back felt great. It had felt strong all week.

IMO the barbell deadlift is really a competition lift given to much credit in the normal non-competition training world. It's an awkward lift that involves picking up a bar forward from your centre of gravity. The hex bar solves this problem and makes a lot more sense as a back strengthener because you can hold the weight in the safest place.

@tropo try out the DB squat, i feel it very safe for back, if not for feet in case i drop them DB on my toes that is rolleyes.gif

let your feet form a V with the heels in the join point, so that knees dont go inwards,

the DB will hang in your arms at center of gravity

Edited by poanoi

I don't feel that the deadlift puts me in danger for injuries, but I do have a naturally strong back. Poor form on the deadlift yes, but poor form on the squat is more dangerous as you have all that weight pressing on your spine.

The deadlift is supposed to be an almost vertical movement. The bar should be half an inch away from your shins and your knees should be well over the bar and forward, so that when you lift up, the bar is almost scarping your shins and only just goes beyond your knees as you straighten up.

I think the deadlift is an excellent full body excercise and one of the most natural lifts there are in terms of movement. Now, the big pros do all kinds of weird stuff because they are genetic freaks such as lifting more like a romanian deadlift, but that doesn't mean the average gym goer should do it.

The deadlift is an excersize that along with squats make men out of boys :D It gives you a strong core which in turn allows your more weight on squats and other lifts. I'm not really into the modern bodybuilding way of wanting to have a small waist. That is something I consider feminine (the small waist). If you look at early bodybuilders and even greek statues, they have strong and wide midsections. The V-taper that most guys want comes from lats (from rows, pulls etc) and broad shoulds (lat raises, overhand press).

If wanting to look good for women, I don't think many women care about small waist, but being lean and having a strong and wide back and shoulders. It's an evolutionary thing - broad shoulders - just like most (adult) men are instantly attracted to wide hips with a small waist. That is true for me at least. Small midsection and big biceps I compare a bit to silicone breasts :-)

. If you look at early bodybuilders and even greek statues, they have strong and wide midsections.

Have you had a good look at the current crop of bodybuilders? Most of them have wide and bulging midsections. The earlier bodybuilders from the 60s - 80s had smaller midsections.

A good comparison to make would be Lee Haney (80's) vs Ronnie Coleman (2000's).

...or compare Arnold (70's) vs the current crop.

Steve Reeves from the 60's had a small waist and his was considered the perfect aesthetic physique back in those days. I could name dozens more. They all had smaller midsections in those days.

Provided it is fat free, the width of the midsection is primarily genetic. I wish this wasn't the case, but that's how it is - (spoken by a person with a naturally wide midsection)biggrin.png .If you've got a narrow waist, then wide shoulders and back are easier to attain as it is the illusion of width that counts, not the absolute size.

Heavy core exercises such as deadlifts, rows and squats will increase the muscular size of the midsection, but only to a degree which is determined by genetics. I've seem some pretty strong deadlifters with relatively narrow midsections.

Edited by tropo

I'm wondering if the bigger mid-section these days stems from the discovery and use of insulin for building ?

Yes, I'm certain the problem is drug related. They didn't use insulin, hgh or igf-1 prior in the 70's and 80's. It's only in the last 20 years we've starting seeing a lot of protruding guts on bodybuilders. Something is causing the gut problem. It's also not something that professional bodybuilders would discuss in public.

Edited by tropo

I'm wondering if the bigger mid-section these days stems from the discovery and use of insulin for building ?

Yes, I'm certain the problem is drug related. They didn't use insulin, hgh or igf-1 prior in the 70's and 80's. It's only in the last 20 years we've starting seeing a lot of protruding guts on bodybuilders. Something is causing the gut problem. It's also not something that professional bodybuilders would discuss in public.

I could almost wager that it was Dorian Yates that started the trend. I have a feeling it's hgh but then again, am not certain of it.

What is the difference between the two. ->At my school they only allow hex dead lift because to many idiots messed their back up with poor form.<-

Thanks for that link I was interested about it, I was right it used my quads more then other exercises. Others felt the same. I guess I will keep on doing both deadlifts and hex bar lifts.

Just got a call from fitwhey that my shriek lifting belt is on its way, i will use it only on the last heavy set for protection.

I could almost wager that it was Dorian Yates that started the trend. I have a feeling it's hgh but then again, am not certain of it.

That's interesting, because Dorian Yates came right between Lee Haney and Ronnie Coleman as the Mr Olympia winner. 6 years in between to be exact.

Lee Haney 1984 - 1991: Huge with small midsection.

Dorian Yates 1992 - 1997: Huge with bigger midsection but still aesthetic.

Ronnie Coleman 1998 - 2005: Huge with huge midsection.

In 1985, bio-synthetic human growth hormone replaced pituitary-derived human growth hormone for therapeutic use in the U.S. and elsewhere.

It was extremely expensive back then. I would say in the early to mid 90's it became affordable for top bodybuilders.

Thanks for that link I was interested about it, I was right it used my quads more then other exercises. Others felt the same. I guess I will keep on doing both deadlifts and hex bar lifts.

Just got a call from fitwhey that my shriek lifting belt is on its way, i will use it only on the last heavy set for protection.

LOL... Shriek

I got my Schiek belt the other day. I like it! I only used it on some seated rows and shrugs so far, but it feels good.

I kept it on loosely while doing sets of other exercises that I didn't need it for just because I couldn't be bothered taking it off and carrying it around and found it has a secondary purpose of keeping the lower back very warm.