Thai Sex Workers To Get 457 Visas For Oz ?

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/foreign-prostitutes-wanted-on-457-skilled-work-visas/story-fncynjr2-1226660651907

I'm hoping that folks in this forum will be able to see the potential humor in the fact that there is an 'industry body' which recognises the skill level involved in P4P, and we can avoid the usual 'I'm outraged' responses from the serial wowsers on TV.

The Scarlet Alliance migration program manager, Jules Kim, said sex workers were just as skilled as other workers allowed to fly into Australia on the four-year work visas.

I'd imagine that Singaporean doctors might object to Mr Kim's statement, but it spiced up an otherwise slow news day. It would be interesting to see how many girls were willing to line up outside the Oz Embassy in South Sathorn to lodge their applications should this become reality : might be a gig there for someone willing to do the legwork on their behalf ;)

Of course, Canberra isn't wild about Oz being seen as a magnet for sex workers - I would maintain that it ALREADY IS, but I guess we need to maintain a facade of respectability, particularly at a time when our overseas-trained MDs have all been told that they have to sit the equivalent of a final-year exam or GTFO of Oz, regardless of how long they have been practising medicine here or feedback from other health professionals and patients. Thailand doesn't have a monopoly on government-inspired stupidity.

The Immigration Department yesterday said sex workers were not considered "skilled'' because the job did not require a degree or diploma.

"It's not recognised as a trade qualification,'' a spokesman said."We operate a skilled migration program.''

(fwiw, no shortage of Thai women working in brothels - legal and illegal - all over Australia. Presumably, many are on student visas or - worse - expired tourist visas. These women would benefit from a 457 visa for sex workers, and the taxpayer would be less likely to fund their eventual detention and deportation)

Personally I am outraged that foreigners are taking away jobs from Australian citizens, plenty of Australians working in the sex industry. Guess it's more profitable to underpay Thai or other nationalities working illegally