Fedora Core 5 (graphic Mode) Problem

cnnaing

Hi,

You have to install a Display manager (kdm for KDE/gdm for Gnome), you must also to choose the init runlevel 5 and not 3 who is the text one.

If you are stuck in text mode now, you have to type your username and your password and then "startx" to start the graphical environnement.

Give more details when asking for help please. :o

thank Wallalai

I've got it. but i found other problems. May i ? ok.. thanks.. i'll tell you.. :D

As i want to add some softwares for Fedora, i use Add/Remove Software(package manager). After i checked which i want to install, i click apply. but it's downloading from internet. when i used FC4, i install from CD. Now, i also want to install from CD in FC5. how can i change it? plz :o

You have to download the other FC5 CD's. But it's not a good idea, because the softwares contained in the CD will soon or are already outdated.

There are newer versions of softwares (updates) everyday in GNU/Linux distribs.

For example if you use KDE now, I think you have the 3.5.1 version, and the 3.5.2 will come soon with some bugs corrections and/or added features. I just compiled kdelibs & kdebase (3.5.2) tonight on my Sourcemage GNU/Linux (testing branch). And it's the same with all softwares installed in your PC, even with the kernel.

Normally with a Linux distro you shouldn't need to reinstall all the stuff at every version's change; by updating day by day you will always have the most recent distrib. The package manager will retrieve the new versions of the softwares and replace the ancient one.

I hope you understand something, I don't know if I write in a understandable manner. :D

Feel free to ask mor if needed. :o