Phnom Penh - No Visas This Week

Heads up,

I am at the embassy in Phnom Pehn and they say visas will not be processed this week. No consular services. Pathetic...many people, including myself called last week to confirm they are open and booked time to come here and apply for a visa. Now, they say not this week. Lots of angry people who have flights booked and need to get back for work/school. No explanation.

They have never been known to be friendly.

There have been similar events where visas were not approved for several days other than the normal 4 days.

It is not a location that I would ever suggest to get a visa.

Phnom Penh is horrible. Few years ago they stapled a 'warning' through the cover of your passport when collecting: "Never apply for visa again in Phnom Penh". And a red colored stamp through the visa itself: "Never apply for visa again in Phnom Penh". I checked, it was not only me, no all foreigners collecting their visa that day. First of all; I obeyed all law- & regulations as stated by the Thai Government. Nothing illegal. Just obey the pathetic rules to apply for a new visa. Secondly, they do not have the <deleted>..... right to damage my passport with stapling through the cover. Phnom Penh; fire some megalomanic 'officials' out of your offices and treat customers normal in the Thai way = polite with a smile............

Awful place, took me 7 days to get a visa here a couple of years back. Miserable, unhelpful staff. They are all on the make for extra monies to get stuff processed. Certainly the worst embassy in the region.

I remember reading a thread some years back not long after Air Asia started doing their cheap flights to Phnom Penh. The OP of the thread was told by an irate female immigration officer at the Thai Embassy there something along the lines of "just because you can now fly here cheaply doesn't mean we will start giving out visas"..

Clearly they were frightened and browned off that they were going to have to start working and doing their jobs after years of just cruising and swanning around.

I remember reading a thread some years back not long after Air Asia started doing their cheap flights to Phnom Penh. The OP of the thread was told by an irate female immigration officer at the Thai Embassy there something along the lines of "just because you can now fly here cheaply doesn't mean we will start giving out visas"..

Clearly they were frightened and browned off that they were going to have to start working and doing their jobs after years of just cruising and swanning around.

Haha, but what has Air Asia got to do with it? It's been possible to travel overland from Thailand to Phnom Penh for years and usually for a lot less than what Air Asia charges. Now that the cross-border bus service between Bangkok and Phnom Penh has started it's even more predictable.

Haha, but what has Air Asia got to do with it? It's been possible to travel overland from Thailand to Phnom Penh for years and usually for a lot less than what Air Asia charges. Now that the cross-border bus service between Bangkok and Phnom Penh has started it's even more predictable.

Yes, it was possible but very time consuming and inconvenient. The cheap Air Asia flights made it very quick and easy.

• 3 weeks later...