Eu Film Festival Schedule Promenda Cinemas

L&J

Here is the schedule of Films for the EU FILM FESTIVAL- at the Promenada Mall-all films are free

Thursday 13 June 7pm - Germany- ''3''

Friday 14 June 7.15pm Romania- Medal of Honour

Saturday 15 June 2.30pm France- Tomboy / 4.30pm Spain- Frozen Silence / 7pm Czech Republic- Protector

Sunday 16 June 2pm Denmark - This Life / 4.30pm Poland - Wonderful Summer / 7pm Netherlands - Cool kids Dont Cry

Monday 17June 7pm Italy- The Enterpreneur

Tuesday 18 June 7pm Hungary - The last Rhapsody

Wednesday 19 June 7pm Denmark -A Funny Man

Thursday 20 June 7pm Spain- Dont be Afraid

Friday 21 June 7pm UK - London-The Modern Babylon

Saturday 22June 2.30pm Finland- Stars Above / 4.45pm Germany- Goethe / 7pm Portugal- The Death of Carlos Gardel

Sunday 23 June 2pm Sweden- Beyond / 7pm Luxembourg - Blind Spot

• Like 1

The following films are scheduled to be shown additionally with Thai sub-titles- all films will either be in English or with English subtitles.

Friday 14 June 7.15pm Romania- Medal of Honour

Saturday 15 June 2.30pm France- Tomboy

4.30pm Spain- Frozen Silence

Sunday 16 June 7pm Netherlands - Cool Kids Dont Cry

Saturday 22June 7pm Portugal- The Death of Carlos Gardel

Edited by L&J
  • Like 1

The film schedule for EU FILM FESTIVAL for

Thursday 13 June 7pm - Germany- ''3''--

Description of film- Hanna & Simon have been a couple for 20 years. They live side by side in combative harmony.

Then without knowing about each others action, fall in love with the same man, Adam.

This film received a 45% rating on the Rottentomato website.

Free tickets are distributed starting a half hour before the film.

WHAT A MISTAKE - moving from Kad Suen Kauw to that building site out of town with no parking !!!!!!!!!! Just for the money I guess. I bet attendances will be WAY DOWN. Such a shame; I have attended most evenings of the past 5 or 6 festivals. I will NOT be going there.

There is plenty of parking at Promenada and they are new and nice theaters. They also have discounted trucking service from town.

You will not only not be missed but they might have some sort of ceremony celebrating the fact that the incredibly stupid and misinformed should be honored. Wake the fuc_k up. You can not be that stupid and we, as real thinking and cognizant people should not have to listen to the misinformed and the idiots that pretend to talk about what they know and then we find out that they are either liars or just plain dumb. I'm sorry but I am tired of all the bullshit.

Sure, I'll apologize later. For now I've made my point.

Wow!

It looks like Mr. theDukes has some strong feelings when it comes to parking (or a lack thereof)!

Unless there's another "point" he believes that he's made, in which case...... what might that possibly be?

WHAT A MISTAKE - moving from Kad Suen Kauw to that building site out of town with no parking !!!!!!!!!! Just for the money I guess. I bet attendances will be WAY DOWN. Such a shame; I have attended most evenings of the past 5 or 6 festivals. I will NOT be going there.

There is plenty of parking at Promenada and they are new and nice theaters. They also have discounted trucking service from town.

You will not only not be missed but they might have some sort of ceremony celebrating the fact that the incredibly stupid and misinformed should be honored. Wake the fuc_k up. You can not be that stupid and we, as real thinking and cognizant people should not have to listen to the misinformed and the idiots that pretend to talk about what they know and then we find out that they are either liars or just plain dumb. I'm sorry but I am tired of all the bullshit.

David, I'm sorry but I don't recall seeing you at Promenada this evening for the VIP opening of the film festival.

You're a sweetheart and do a lot of good for Chiang Mai (see ya' at 4th of July!), but I think you're a little off base here.

I was there,along with the OP. The films we saw (a Dutch film, something about middle school kids) was great and we shed a tear, but the real tears were shed after the film when we realized the "free" shuttle back to the city was a sham. They wanted 200 baht per person! Something about the distance and the fact that the last "free" shuttle was at 9 pm, despite the film being over at 9:10.

Incidentally, unlike other years at KSK, they did not have printed flyers available to assist in planning our movie-watching. But, from what I recall in looking at the dislays, they're showing most of the films at night, with end times after 9 pm. Gotta be a gold mine for the song thaew mafia! In the past they showed the films twice, with afternoon performances during the week -- but not now.

Yes, the place was nice and glizy -- the seats were comfy -- but somehow I didn't feel like I was in Chiang Mai. The song thaew drivers after the show, who stuck to their 200 baht fares despite my flawless Thai, only reinforced the view that this place belongs in Pattaya or Phuket.

Oh, those with cars also had many, many problems. We hired a car and driver to take us to the reception. He was directed into the venue and then stopped numerous times to ask those directing traffic where to go to drop off the "farangs for the EU film festival" in Thai. All he was told was ไป ไป Finally he said, "I don't think they speak Thai". Apparently they were directing people to park in a different zone from the theater. There was suppose to be a "free shuttle" between the parking and theater -- but guess what -- that shuttle stopped at 9 pm, despite the film being over at 9:15. We saw a lot of angry-looking people trying to figure out how to get back to their cars. Unfortunately, we told our driver we'd take the shuttle home and he wasn't available after the show.

SO DON'T TELL ME TO GO BUY A CAR -- IT WOULDN'T HAVE HELPED THOSE POOR SOULS. Sorry for shouting, but I remember my previous thread on this subject.

I'm so sorry, I'm shedding a tear and it it's not just from that good Dutch film this evening, it's for Chiang Mai -- is this what we've become? A place where you need to sit in a traffic jam on a nameless highway on your way to the latest, trendy mall?

Edited by NancyL

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Hubby and I won't be seeing any more EU films this year -- we normally saw almost all of them.

Maybe they'll go to Maya Mall next year and we can walk and avoid the transportation headaches.

I must admit that we cheated and actually drove by Promenada (going to start to refer to it as the PROM as that is how they are branding it) early in the week to see where the entrances were so we

had no problem driving into the parking area and exiting the parking area after the film. They do need to put up some signs at the entrance

points. One very positive is that the spaces in the parking area were actually large enough to accommodate even the monster SUVs and trucks.

It is good information that the "free" shuttles aren't available after 9PM so if you choose not to have your own transportation be prepared to

pay something for your "free" movie.

Seriously they built the Prom for people with automobiles and young people with motorbikes, they really aren't concerned with a relative handful of people

who live in the city without transportation. It is only public relations that has them providing the free shuttle service and if nobody uses it they will discontinue it

quickly. You should also consider that the Prom was built by the Dutch and they are managing it so it would be unlikely that the EU Film Festival is going

to move to the green tea Maya Mall which has no EU connection at all. CM is Thailand's second biggest city and with all the problems in Bangkok the investment

is coming here so if you don't like development there are still some villages you can move to that won't have shopping malls and condos for a few more years. In the meantime

good luck in your efforts to put the genie back in the bottle, that always works here in the LOS.

• Like 1

Interesting note but I doubt that will override the EU involvement in the Prom.After attending the EU Film Festival for

the last seven years I don't think it actually produces much in the way of collateral spending in the malls. In the

past many of the attendees sat in the same seat for six to eight hours while hauling in their bag of food and drink.

Not exactly the kind of "shoppers" a mall wants to attract. SF Cinema will also probably want to put it at whichever

of their outlets loses less money for them.

Could someone please explain why they believe they are entitled to free transportation? I really don't get it. 200 THB is the standard fare for rides back to the city after 21:00. It has been that way for years. Thais pay the same. Once in a great while if it is a very slow night at say the Riverside, Good View, etc. you might get a ride from there to the outlying areas for 150 THB - but certainly not to San Kampaheng, Saraphee, Mae Rim, etc.

I really do not understand why anyone thinks they should not have to pay for transportation. Would they expect to get around for free in Bangkok, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Frankfurt, etc., etc.?

• Like 1

David, I'm sorry but I don't recall seeing you at Promenada this evening for the VIP opening of the film festival.

You're a sweetheart and do a lot of good for Chiang Mai (see ya' at 4th of July!), but I think you're a little off base here.

I was there,along with the OP. The films we saw (a Dutch film, something about middle school kids) was great and we shed a tear, but the real tears were shed after the film when we realized the "free" shuttle back to the city was a sham. They wanted 200 baht per person! Something about the distance and the fact that the last "free" shuttle was at 9 pm, despite the film being over at 9:10.

Incidentally, unlike other years at KSK, they did not have printed flyers available to assist in planning our movie-watching. But, from what I recall in looking at the dislays, they're showing most of the films at night, with end times after 9 pm. Gotta be a gold mine for the song thaew mafia! In the past they showed the films twice, with afternoon performances during the week -- but not now.

Yes, the place was nice and glizy -- the seats were comfy -- but somehow I didn't feel like I was in Chiang Mai. The song thaew drivers after the show, who stuck to their 200 baht fares despite my flawless Thai, only reinforced the view that this place belongs in Pattaya or Phuket.

Oh, those with cars also had many, many problems. We hired a car and driver to take us to the reception. He was directed into the venue and then stopped numerous times to ask those directing traffic where to go to drop off the "farangs for the EU film festival" in Thai. All he was told was ไป ไป Finally he said, "I don't think they speak Thai". Apparently they were directing people to park in a different zone from the theater. There was suppose to be a "free shuttle" between the parking and theater -- but guess what -- that shuttle stopped at 9 pm, despite the film being over at 9:15. We saw a lot of angry-looking people trying to figure out how to get back to their cars. Unfortunately, we told our driver we'd take the shuttle home and he wasn't available after the show.

SO DON'T TELL ME TO GO BUY A CAR -- IT WOULDN'T HAVE HELPED THOSE POOR SOULS. Sorry for shouting, but I remember my previous thread on this subject.

I'm so sorry, I'm shedding a tear and it it's not just from that good Dutch film this evening, it's for Chiang Mai -- is this what we've become? A place where you need to sit in a traffic jam on a nameless highway on your way to the latest, trendy mall?

Sorry for your disappointment Nancy. Yes it does require sitting in traffic at certain parts of the day the same as I would have to do to go to the KSK location. It makes no difference where they place it not every one will be in walking distance.

Was it well attended?

you say

"but somehow I didn't feel like I was in Chiang Mai."

Was it that much better than The Airport Cinema where they have replaced all the seats.

I know it is silly but that is how I rate a theater no matter how new or run down it is when I am back in Seattle or Vancouver. Are the seats comfortable some are better than others. I do in fact see problems with later movies if you need a ride home. I know some of the movies at the airport have ended after nine and it was tough finding a ride home.

I can understand where Dave is coming from if the movies for the EF are free that would eliminate the money angle and there is parking there. Also it is a well known fact that they are not completely open and have much to do yet. For myself I am over my head with self centered people who think every thing should be all about them. I have cut a lot of them out of my life. They all have one thing in common they think there way is the best way for every one, I think Dave was just reacting to that kind of a statement.

For myself I am anxious to see it in full operation and what all it has to offer. That includes the grounds out side the building. I am thinking August or September.

• Like 1

Could someone please explain why they believe they are entitled to free transportation? I really don't get it. 200 THB is the standard fare for rides back to the city after 21:00. It has been that way for years. Thais pay the same. Once in a great while if it is a very slow night at say the Riverside, Good View, etc. you might get a ride from there to the outlying areas for 150 THB - but certainly not to San Kampaheng, Saraphee, Mae Rim, etc.

I really do not understand why anyone thinks they should not have to pay for transportation. Would they expect to get around for free in Bangkok, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Frankfurt, etc., etc.?

OK, I'll explain why "I believe I was entitled to free transportation" -- because they promoted the free transport. I even emailed the EU organizers prior to the event and was assured there would be free transport back to the city.

Had I known there wouldn't be transport, I would have made other arrangements -- rather than being expected to give 200 baht PER PERSON to one of the few sonthaew drivers waiting around after the event. There were no tuk-tuks, no bue and yellow taxis -- just a handful of red songthaews.

I'm more than willing to pay for transport, but it is deceiving to promise it, in writing, and then leave someone stranded miles away from the city with few options.

• Like 1

OK, I'll explain why "I believe I was entitled to free transportation" -- because they promoted the free transport. I even emailed the EU organizers prior to the event and was assured there would be free transport back to the city.

Had I known there wouldn't be transport, I would have made other arrangements -- rather than being expected to give 200 baht PER PERSON to one of the few sonthaew drivers waiting around after the event. There were no tuk-tuks, no bue and yellow taxis -- just a handful of red songthaews.

I'm more than willing to pay for transport, but it is deceiving to promise it, in writing, and then leave someone stranded miles away from the city with few options.

Point well taken and yes I agree that 200 per person is excessive. But NancyL you have been around long enough to know not to expect everything that has been promised here in Thailand as things change on a moments notice. I would think that by now you have a few numbers of taxi drivers stored in your mobile telephone? I would not have paid [for example 800 THB between us if there were 4 of us who needed a lift], I would have called the drivers whose numbers I keep on hand and got someone to pick us up. Even if we were to have pay a total of 300 for 4 people and say split the fare with one other person, 150 is not an expensive price to pay at all for a lift into town from all the way out there.

People have to understand that the drivers of taxis, etc. can not expend their time and gas for free for the pleasure of visiting foreigners in their country. Many of these people have been up since the crack of dawn working and are putting their children through college. I also doubt the 'promoters' kept their word and never paid the drivers.

• Like 1

Yes, of course I have the numbers of a few drivers in the phone -- but some have made it clear they don't want to work late at night and the others I called didn't answer their phones.

In the end, a woman with Promenada management called a blue and yellow taxi who charged us 200 bath total -- that's the "fair fare" for a ride of that distance and of course, the taxi was comfortable and airconditioned, unlike the back of a song thaew.

The Promenada management lady was very kind and frustrated with the situation she'd been given to manage -- she understood our point entirely and also wondered how the theater customers can be expected to find their way to the city or to the remote parking lot after late films when the shuttles stop running at 9 pm. Clearly, she wasn't the one who had arranged the shuttle service, but had been given the task of managing upset customers in the evening. The fault isn't hers, but her upper management's.

The place is just poorly executed and managed.

• Like 1

I just come back, tried to make my second visit to the Euro Film Festival with my motorbike.

This time no access to the parking area. Wow, deeply impressed. It seems public transportation is the only way to go there. I better try again next year...

We driven in easily parked the car, in the middle of the afternoon and evening , and went to the films

and shopped without a complaint.

As I have mentioned before maybe the Prom management doesn't see motorbike arrivals

as their "target customers". It wouldn't take a market research expert to explain that decision.

I have always been annoyed by the KSK parking fee but have never had any trouble finding a

place to park there as opposed to the nightmare with "free" parking at Airport Mall.

I might be wrong though as obviously we have an expert on mall management that feel that the Prom is

"just poorly executed and managed". They obviously opened prematurely, but given that fact they have

managed to be relatively successful in our experience. Six months from now maybe our expert on mall management

will feel different if she can get a free ride out to visit again.

• Like 1

Oh dear, that was a little harsh wasn't it L & J. How many times do I have to say I'm not saying I'm entitled to a free ride, just would like to be able to count on what's presented in writing, especially in personal emails from the EU film management.

It doesn't matter if I'm an expert on mall management -- I've run businesses and know when a business isn't living up to the promises it makes to their customers. I also know the consequences for the business.

You keep talking about the "target market" for this mall and clearly, I'm not in the target market. Frankly, I'd have no interest in going to Promenada except for the EU film festival. I'm a big fan of the festival and yes, I was one of those who would park my rump in a seat and watch three films in a row without buying anything at the mall (I think I saw you at most the films, too) But, I'm in KSK 3-4 times weekly. It's the major mall for our purchases and the EU film festival was a nice bonus.

I saw many others at the EU film festival in previous years who don't have transport or rode motobikes. Surely, the EU film festival isn't aiming for a target audience of people who live in distant gated communities, and limit their shopping to places that accomodate their cars. That rules out most college students, tourists and many retired people, doesn't it?

Just a few points:

You observed:

- I've run businesses and know when a business isn't living up to the promises it makes to their customers. I also know the consequences for the business.

I lived here six years and if every business that didn't live up to its promises closed this place would be a ghost town. Since you admit to never intending on shopping

at the Prom I am not sure you even qualify as a "customer"?

Surely, the EU film festival isn't aiming for a target audience of people who live in distant gated communities, and limit their shopping to places that accommodate their cars.

I have always feared that the EU Film Festival would figure out that the vast majority of the audience for the film festival is NOT Thai, which I believe is their target audience and

it is just a bunch of us ex-pats who just want to see the films. BTW we do go to the free movies but we also have traveled over Asia, Europe and North America attending film

festivals that are anything but free. With the extreme budget problems with the EU they are probably assessing what kind of projects to cut in the future and a film festival in

Thailand that draws mostly European and North American ex-pats probably would be high on the list to axe. The fact that they cut the film showings in half this year makes

such a possibility quite likely.

Just a few points:

You observed:

- I've run businesses and know when a business isn't living up to the promises it makes to their customers. I also know the consequences for the business.

I lived here six years and if every business that didn't live up to its promises closed this place would be a ghost town. Since you admit to never intending on shopping

at the Prom I am not sure you even qualify as a "customer"?

Surely, the EU film festival isn't aiming for a target audience of people who live in distant gated communities, and limit their shopping to places that accommodate their cars.

I have always feared that the EU Film Festival would figure out that the vast majority of the audience for the film festival is NOT Thai, which I believe is their target audience and

it is just a bunch of us ex-pats who just want to see the films. BTW we do go to the free movies but we also have traveled over Asia, Europe and North America attending film

festivals that are anything but free. With the extreme budget problems with the EU they are probably assessing what kind of projects to cut in the future and a film festival in

Thailand that draws mostly European and North American ex-pats probably would be high on the list to axe. The fact that they cut the film showings in half this year makes

such a possibility quite likely.

Not a film festival fan but what you say about cutting it in half this year would definatly seem to me to be a reflection off of last year.

Hellodolly -- I don't follow your logic, that the decision to cut number of showings in half is a reflection "off of last year". I seem to recall that most of the EU showings last year were packed, with people sitting on steps of the aisles. They brought in extra chairs to put in the back of the theater. Hardly seems like they cut back the number of showings due to lack of an audience last year.

I think L & J may be more on the mark with this -- perhaps the fancy new SF theater is charging them on a "per showing" basis and they decided to cut costs. It didn't seem to me that the theater in the new venue is much larger than the one of last year. Certainly much more comfortable, but not much larger.

Edited by NancyL

I have no idea how theatres here work their rentals but do know from trying to organize charity fundraisers in the USA

that the theatre charges you for every seat at the rate they would be selling tickets for that theatre. Obviously they never

sell every seat in the house but they force you to buy every seat at their rate if you want to use their facilities. Would not

be shocked to hear that is the way it is done here.

Might also add at this point that in the eleven days the Film Festival runs only two films were scheduled to finish after

9PM and most ended before 8:45 leaving plenty of time to get the shuttle. The "Invitation Only Reception" film did also

end after 9PM only because it started at 7:30 not 7PM. However all the free wine and snacks should have compensated

for the cost of the taxi.

Hellodolly -- I don't follow your logic, that the decision to cut number of showings in half is a reflection "off of last year". I seem to recall that most of the EU showings last year were packed, with people sitting on steps of the aisles. They brought in extra chairs to put in the back of the theater. Hardly seems like they cut back the number of showings due to lack of an audience last year.

I think L & J may be more on the mark with this -- perhaps the fancy new SF theater is charging them on a "per showing" basis and they decided to cut costs. It didn't seem to me that the theater in the new venue is much larger than the one of last year. Certainly much more comfortable, but not much larger.

I was not talking about Chiang Mai only I was thinking about there world wide experiences from last year.

My comment was based on the L&J post.

I'll take some of that betting action, Ladbrokes?

I don't know if you have history with the poster 'chiangmaicharlies', but there was nothing in his post to warrant your response. Although I agree with a few of your comments in your 'Bring it on' thread you're proving yourself to be a complete hypocrite.