Nsa Contractor Identifies Himself As Source

News_Editor

At least for the U.S., revocation of its passport to a citizen or national does not necessarily mean he has to surrender it, to include appearing in person. The State Department enters the revocation into the holder's State Department database of passports. So, in this case, if Snowden tries to use the revoked passport, the word "REVOKED" appears on the computer screen of the Immi officer when s/he inserts the passport page into the slot.

Most countries honor that notice and forbid the holder to pass. In fact most governments take the passport holder aside and further investigate with the DEPSTATE. In which case, based on further investigation, the government would recognize the criminal charges against the passport holder. Immi would turn the holder over to the police who would put him in the slammer. Then extradition proceedings would begin.

(While I wuz typing this about a dozen posts were made, so the question may have been answered before reading this. Either way, fine.)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least for the U.S., revocation of its passport to a citizen or national does not necessarily mean he has to surrender it, to include appearing in person. The State Department enters the revocation into the holder's State Department database of passports. So, in this case, if Snowden tries to use the revoked passport, the word "REVOKED" appears on the computer screen of the Immi officer when s/he inserts the passport page into the slot.

Most countries honor that notice and forbid the holder to pass. In fact most governments take the passport holder aside and further investigate with the DEPSTATE. In which case, based on further investigation, the government would recognize the criminal charges against the passport holder. Immi would turn the holder over to the police who would put him in the slammer. Then extradition proceedings would begin.

(While I wuz typing this about a dozen posts were made, so the question may have been answered before reading this. Either way, fine.)

That "REVOKED" will probably show up on an immigration computer in the United States. But not necessarily in other countries.

That "REVOKED" will probably show up on an immigration computer in the United States. But not necessarily in other countries.

It will show up any time he applies for a visa or any other document required by a foreign government. That includes most government systems that allow for visa on arrival.

A few years ago, when I applied for another Non-Immi B, the Immi officer at the Immi office entered my passport biographical page into a contraption a few feet away from him. While the officer and I sat going over the application, the contraption started spitting out some papers. The Immi officer got the papers, looked quickly at them, said the U.S. State Department report stated I have a clean record with the U.S. government and with all 50 state governments and six U.S. Territories. That was the first and only time an Immi officer ever said that to me after the response via the contraption. So Thailand is a country that actively makes this inquiry, at least with the United States.

Either the US government was slow to revoke the passport or other governments were slow to enter the new information into their systems using either technology or manpower. Or, some certain governments timely received the info about the revocation but are choosing to ignore it. I could see Russia ignoring it, Ecuador too, if that's where Snowden is headed.

However, if Snowden is in transit in Russia and has to wait fewer than the 12 hours mentioned above, he wouldn't need any documents. If Snowden needs a transit visa in Russia period, regardless of time in transit, then yes I could see the Russian government ignoring the revocation of the passport. I could see that as no problem for Russia to do. They do whatever they hell they want over there.

Edited by Publicus

It will show up any time he applies for a visa or any other document required by a foreign government.

Yeah, but it won't impact him in countries willing to offer asylum. I would just hate to think what he may have to do to pay for or reciprocate for that asylum.

Russian news agency Interfax and Radio Ekho Moskvy reported that Snowden was booked on a flight to Cuba and then from Havana to Caracas, Venezuela. The next Aeroflot flight to Havana leaves Monday afternoon. Ecuador and Iceland have also been mentioned as possibilities.

As reported by Washington Post.

Shall we have a Jingthing poll as to Eddie the Traitor's final destination?

a) Cuba

cool.png Venezuala

c) Iceland

d) Ecuador

e) Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean if he gets shoved out of a plane.

Cuba and Venezuala may be "hostile" but they do want to get along with the USA and are not looking for a fight over someone like this. Iceland won't do it as the country still needs the USA. I doubt Snowden gets offed until he gets to his destination. My bet is on Ecuador.

I agree Ecuador has been sheltering Assange for a long time now ... so they are into this sort of thing
Hardly rocket science considering Wikileaks had arranged Snowden's travels.

I bet Assange is hoping to sneak out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London and be off to Ecuador with Snowden.

Yeah he must be a bit jealous of Snowden. Perhaps he has asked for a postcard to be sent to him when Snowden has settled in.

@lomatopo

He's cleared passport control in Moscow. He's in Russia.

He's a fool for doing that. He's a cowardly rat running for the sewer. If he was a man at all he would have flown back to Washington and fought the good fight.

He would have landed to a media frenzy, millions of Americans sympathetic to him would have rallied behind him. He would have become an American Hero for many, A Martyr For Freedom.

He would have caused the US authorities an even bigger problem by returning voluntarily, he would have had the greatest stage ever to express his views.

Even if he had been jailed he would have went down as a Martyr For Freedom to many.

Now he's just another cowardly rat looking for a sewer.

The point I made was

Any sympathy that some people may have had for him will disappear when he's pictured in Moscow.

My point stands.

"A cowardly rat looking for a sewer" Listen to yourself! Ever thought about a new career as a leader writer for the Sun? Do you really think if he had flown back to the USA he would have been given the "greatest stage ever to express his views". Ha Ha. Can you just imagine the current Obama administration ( who lets face it are crapping themselves at the next revelations, maybe the truth about what lies were told re the Libyan Embassy murders, and who knows what else), would just say," OK Edward old chap, just sit behind this desk, we have called a press conference where you can give your side of the story, no problem, tell all"! Ha Ha. I don't think so. Truth be told he would be whisked away with a hood over his head, into solitary confinement, never to be seen again until his show trial ten years later. The powers that be who are responsible for these totally anti democratic infringements of citizens privacy, reading private correspondence, tapping innocent peoples telephones etc, must get down on their knees thanking whichever God they pray to, that there are still people like you acting as shills for them on public forums!

• Like 1

@lomatopo

He's a fool for doing that. He's a cowardly rat running for the sewer. If he was a man at all he would have flown back to Washington and fought the good fight.

He would have landed to a media frenzy, millions of Americans sympathetic to him would have rallied behind him. He would have become an American Hero for many, A Martyr For Freedom.

He would have caused the US authorities an even bigger problem by returning voluntarily, he would have had the greatest stage ever to express his views.

Even if he had been jailed he would have went down as a Martyr For Freedom to many.

The point I made was

Any sympathy that some people may have had for him will disappear when he's pictured in Moscow.

My point stands.

"A cowardly rat looking for a sewer" Listen to yourself! Ever thought about a new career as a leader writer for the Sun? Do you really think if he had flown back to the USA he would have been given the "greatest stage ever to express his views". Ha Ha. Can you just imagine the current Obama administration ( who lets face it are crapping themselves at the next revelations, maybe the truth about what lies were told re the Libyan Embassy murders, and who knows what else), would just say," OK Edward old chap, just sit behind this desk, we have called a press conference where you can give your side of the story, no problem, tell all"! Ha Ha. I don't think so. Truth be told he would be whisked away with a hood over his head, into solitary confinement, never to be seen again until his show trial ten years later. The powers that be who are responsible for these totally anti democratic infringements of citizens privacy, reading private correspondence, tapping innocent peoples telephones etc, must get down on their knees thanking whichever God they pray to, that there are still people like you acting as shills for them on public forums!
No, I agree. US won't give him a stage now for sure. The problem is I think he must have done a lot more than he lets on. Otherwise, I am not so sure some of the hard core Republicans would be throwing him under the bus this early in the process.

Human nature, he would be to grab some sensitive stuff to entice interests of other countries if he was going to swipe info and be on the lamb with limited places to run.

Edited by F430murci

It will show up any time he applies for a visa or any other document required by a foreign government.

*Deleted post edited out*

That's a wild and flat out irrational statement. I've seen Thais and Chinese when I was in the PRChina fumble and bumble with slow technology that in the US does the task in an instant. More envy coming out here. Maybe you're too used to Thailand.

Actually the contraption used at the Thai Immi office is pretty good technology itself. It look about five minutes at the most for the US DEPSTATE to respond to the Thai Immi inquiry. Just plain efficient technology may be something you might need to introduce yourself to.

Edited by Scott

Snowden exposes criminals, criminals are going for him now

There have been serious crimes over the last ten years - particularly since 9/11 when the war on terror started – in Afghanistan, Iraq, in places like Yemen, Pakistan where many people were murdered through the use of drones and hellfire missiles completely illegally by mainly three countries – Israel, the US and the UK. But this is what people don’t necessarily understand: there will be information that Edward Snowden has that can actually bring some of these people to trial. That’s why the West is so afraid. If Britain was serious about any kind of real justice, we would be able invite him to London and say, “Yes, you can tell all your secrets or stories to people here in Britain, you’ll be safe here.”

Snowden is actually exposing criminals and the criminals are going for him now. I’m afraid that is the case.

http://rt.com/op-edge/snowden-nsa-crime-gchq-136/

No your just resentful against US amd anyone happy here. Not sure if you failed here, got dumped here or just from another region that is envious as to what we have access to. Damaged goods either way.

*Deleted*

Haha, okay. What's that, not sure I got that.

It's just another one off the deep end, and it's getting late. Mai pen rai his posts. I'd bet you've met plenty of 'em in Russia too. Let him rant. spamsign.gif

Edited by Scott

*Deleted*

That's a wild and flat out irrational statement. I've seen Thais and Chinese when I was in the PRChina fumble and bumble with slow technology that in the US does the task in an instant. More envy coming out here. Maybe you're too used to Thailand.

Actually the contraption used at the Thai Immi office is pretty good technology itself. It look about five minutes at the most for the US DEPSTATE to respond to the Thai Immi inquiry. Just plain efficient technology may be something you might need to introduce yourself to.

Well the problem is the premise. I am sure every International air port check point in the world knows who is is by now. He allegedly traveling with diplomats. The fact is he will not risk arriving anywhere at this point unless arrangements are in place.

I am not entirely convinced he is heading to Ecuador and some say that may not be a good choice on his part right now. He may be in for an abrupt awakening very soon.

Edited by Scott

No your just resentful against US amd anyone happy here. Not sure if you failed here, got dumped here or just from another region that is envious as to what we have access to. Damaged goods either way.

I am really really sickened by people that accept zero blame for their actions.
Haha, okay. What's that, not sure I got that.

It's just another one off the deep end, and it's getting late. Mai pen rai his posts. I'd bet you've met plenty of 'em in Russia too. Let him rant. spamsign.gif

I want him to rant. It's funny!!!

@lomatopo

The point I made was

My point stands.

He's a back stabbing treacherous coward.........like all the others of his type he leaks and runs, and damn the consequences for the people he puts at risk.

I look forward to the day when one of these guys, just one, stands his ground.

• Like 1

He's a back stabbing treacherous coward.........like all the others of his type he leaks and runs, and dam_n the consequences for the people he puts at risk.

who he puts on risk?

those who do wrong are afraid of getting exposed.

don't do wrong nothing to worry.

Edited by antfish

23 June 2013 Last updated at 15:04 ET

Edward Snowden asks Ecuador for asylum

Edward Snowden, the former US intelligence contractor who leaked classified documents revealing US internet and phone surveillance, has asked Ecuador for asylum.

The request was confirmed by Ecuador's foreign minister on Twitter.

Mr Snowden had fled the US for Hong Kong but flew out on Sunday morning and is currently in Moscow.

A US extradition request to Hong Kong failed but it insists Mr Snowden should now be denied international travel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23023576

Edited by JDGRUEN

@lomatopo

The point I made was

My point stands.

Another rant.

You can tell it's well past midnight - even the workers in Patpong are snug asleep in their beds as we write and post. I think we who are posting are the only people awake in Bangkok right now.

@lomatopo

The point I made was

My point stands.

He's a back stabbing treacherous coward.........like all the others of his type he leaks and runs, and dam_n the consequences for the people he puts at risk.

Treacherous how? I had to get a Top Secret clearance once for a government contract job I had once. I had to swear an oath. It's basically the same one as the president swears to. "To protect and defend the constitution". Seems to me he's done a right good job of that.

• Like 1

Beijing, Moscow, Pyongyang et al have read and are analyzing every word he's put into the Guardian, the Washington Post, the South China Morning Post and other newspapers yet to come.

Information he's put out pertaining to the national security of the United States and to global security. It seems to me Snowden is doing a "right good job" of it in trying his damnedest to harm the United States in both foreign and domestic security matters. In direct contravention of his sworn oath, an oath I and some others know well.

• Like 1

Lyndsey Graham just said on Fox Snowden is a criminal, has harmed the US, comrpised our security and needs to be sent back for prosecution. He said there should be consequences to Russia for assisting Snowden. Mike Lee from Utah not in Snowden's corner either.

*Deleted*

Nope. That is toally cool. I all for US government hacking all the other countries to death. They do it to US. The 4th Amendment concerns that I care about are warrantless searches and unauthorized government intrusion on US citizens in the US.

And citizens of other countries.

I kind of get that and it does bother on a personal level perhaps, but not much. Unless you are doing something really bad like terrorist plot, there is no way US is going to use that wire tap or warrant less search and come arrest you in China, Russia, Thailand or . . .

In US it creates slippery slope and does create the very real possibility that someone coud be picked up on warrant less search and denied their 4th Amendment Rights.

You guys complain so intensely about US, but why in the world do you not think China, Russia, or Thailand is not also monitoring you in same fashion. These countries do use such taps to suppres free speech and control the population. US, at this time, uses this method to combat terrorism as opposed to a means of oppression in other countries.

Not saying US is right, but you are also being monitored by other countries on the net and cell phones for far more oppressive reasons.

Edited by Scott

Human nature, he would be to grab some sensitive stuff to entice interests of other countries if he was going to swipe info and be on the lamb with limited places to run.

There is absolutely zero evidence nor reason to believe thusfar, based on his actions, that Snowden is sharing specific intelligence with foreign governments. What he is clearly doing is exposing unlawful (or at least unconstitutional) practices of his own government.

Common sense is a reason. In addition, other governments likely would not get involved without something to gain.

Not just me, I heard no less than 3 staunch Republicans on Fox this morning saying the same as well as NSA chief. I have a belief that those on capital hill know a lot more about what was taken and what is going on than you or I.

Edited by F430murci

There is absolutely zero evidence nor reason to believe thusfar, based on his actions, that Snowden is sharing specific intelligence with foreign governments. What he is clearly doing is exposing unlawful (or at least unconstitutional) practices of his own government.

Common sense is a reason. In addition, other governments likely would not get involved without something to gain.

Not just me, I heard no less than 3 staunch Republicans on Fox this morning saying the same as well as NSA chief. I have a belief that those on capital hill know a lot more about what was taken and what is going on than you or I.

Other governments really haven't gotten involved though have they? Beyond exercising some arbitrary discretion at airport immigration services. Sure, they don't mind embarassing the US by exposing their hypocrisy, but that's hardly indicative of receiving secrets in exchange for asylum.

\

• Like 1

Other governments really haven't gotten involved though have they? Beyond exercising some arbitrary discretion at airport immigration services. Sure, they don't mind embarassing the US by exposing their hypocrisy, but that's hardly indicative of receiving secrets in exchange for asylum.

\

Assuming we know what is going on behind the scenes. Every politician this morning on Fox slammed both Putin and Bejing for multiples reasons regarding Snowden. Candidly, do we even know for sure he is on his way to Ecuador. He probably is, but it might be pretty naive just to assume we all know his travel plans and what is going on.

This is not the central question or matter before us, but many have discussed the vehicle by which Snowden committed his presumed acts of espionage, the press/media.

David Gregory, host of a highly respected weekly Sunday morning news and discussion program, asked the Guardian writer who received and first published the Edward Snowden espionage materials, why he too should not be charged with violating the Espionage Act or other crimes against national and global security.

Remember that the Supreme Court ruled long ago that the First Amendment does not apply to journalists in matters of criminal law. The Supreme Court ruling as it stands says a journalist cannot protect sources in a criminal case or is not exempted from legal obligations if s/he witnesses a crime.

A new question may be evolving here, i.e., whether a journalist can be prosecuted for participating in a criminal act, publishing in print or on air classified national security documents or information. This may become a pivotal legal case for both the US and the UK relating to journalists and criminal law in instances of national security.

DAVID GREGORY TO GLENN GREENWALD: 'Why Shouldn't You Be Charged With A Crime?'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/david-gregory-glenn-greenwald-edward-snowden-crime-2013-6#ixzz2X4n6bGXE

If Ruusia not involved then why not go directly from Hong Kong to Ecuador? Doesn't a G650 or a Global Express have range? On cell phone at gym so no way to look up. If so, why go through Moscow? To get to Ecuador? May be a legitimate reason, but I have not heard one.

This is not the central question or matter before us, but many have discussed the vehicle by which Snowden committed his presumed acts of espionage, the press/media.

David Gregory, host of a highly respected weekly Sunday morning news and discussion program, asked the Guardian writer who received and first published the Edward Snowden espionage materials, why he too should not be charged with violating the Espionage Act or other crimes against national and global security.

Remember that the Supreme Court ruled long ago that the First Amendment does not apply to journalists in matters of criminal law. The Supreme Court ruling as it stands says a journalist cannot protect sources in a criminal case or is not exempted from legal obligations if s/he witnesses a crime.

A new question may be evolving here, i.e., whether a journalist can be prosecuted for participating in a criminal act, publishing in print or on air classified national security documents or information. This may become a pivotal legal case for both the US and the UK relating to journalists and criminal law in instances of national security.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/david-gregory-glenn-greenwald-edward-snowden-crime-2013-6#ixzz2X4n6bGXE

Actually, it was a highly respected weekly Sunday morning news and discussion program prior to David Gregory becoming the host. Not so much anymore.

• Like 1

Actually, it was a highly respected weekly Sunday morning news and discussion program prior to David Gregory becoming the host. Not so much anymore.

Confronting Guardian reporter Greenwald on this question is one of the two or three issues in the forefront of public affairs journalism today. Gregory has asked an important question in a face to face interview with Greenwald, a question that resonates and reverberates.

Someone has missed the boat on this one.

Confronting Guardian reporter Greenwald on this question is one of the two or three issues in the forefront of public affairs journalism today. Gregory has asked an important question in a face to face interview with Greenwald, a question that resonates and reverberates.

Someone has missed the boat on this one.

The question of journalistic freedom and the right to protect sources is asked everytime a big story of government wrongdoing takes place. What's different in this instance is they want to kill the messenger. Gregory is a "useful idiot".

• Like 1