Are Bangkok Immigration Insisting On Letter From Embassy To Transfer Stamps?

i have my brand new UK Passport and need to transfer my extension of stay, based on retirement, into my new passport, I live in Bangkok.

I'm aware that the UK don't routinely issue a letter asking for Immigration to transfer any stamps, I suspect they believe a letter shouldn't be necessary, but I'm also aware that if you pitch up at the UK Embassy they will produce a letter free of charge.

My question is has anybody had recently transferred their stamps into a new passport at Chaeng Watthana without being asked for such a letter.

I have the receipt from Hong Kong, but I'm trying to save an unnecessary trip to the embassy.

Thanks

Hi thonglorjimmy,

I was just about to post the same. The UK Embassy said on the phone (before I went to Dor.Mor) that no letter was needed. I went to Dor.Mor and they couldn't transfer stamps without a letter. So I went back to the UK Embassy and they issued me with the free (actually self-written) letter.

My question is - how soon do I now need to travel back to Dor.Mor and get my stamps transferred? Is there any time limit? My letter from the embassy is dated 29/5/13, but I don't really have the time to go back to Dor.Mor until I go to do my 90-day reporting in early July.

Sorry to hijack your question with my additions, but thought saves another new post :)

- if the letter is free of charge, why not ask your Embassy to send you this letter by mail ?

- for records, at Jomtien this letter was *required* in March when I get my new passport

Thank you, I did ask and they told me I had to go in person, that's why I'm asking if CW insist on it.

Feeding these requests back into the system may result in new passports to addresses in affected areas containing a letter upon receipt or the practice being discontinued via the appropriate channels....

Edited by evadgib

Thanks Lopburi. The N2 queue took me 2.5hrs of waiting last time only to be told I'd wasted my time, so am working my way up to going back again.

Is the "N2 queue" the desk to get your stamps transferred, think I will get the Embassy letter and not take a chance.

I was hoping to get my re-entry at the same time.

Hi thonglorjimmy...

When you get inside the main immigration hall/room, where the staff press on the touch-screen for a ticket... they'll give you a ticket for the N2 queue. I'm not sure where you go for retirement extensions, but the N2 desk is right next to the N1 desk which is the place for education visa extensions - it's down the side or the N1 section near the room for monks and VIPs.

The N2 desk is also where visa agents take their stacks of passports, so if you get stuck behind a visa agent, it can take a loooong time - such as was my last visit.

Edited by jabenna