How Good Is An Ipad Without Internet?

NoshowJones

I bought an Ipad hoping to download music and films from Youtube. I am not interested in buying films and music from Itunes although books is another story. Just how good is an Ipad when you are not using the internet?

I would recommend the application FoxTube - you can download any youtube stuff directly into your ipad. Or get a downloader on your regular com and save them then move them into your ipad. Just make sure to save the MP4 file.

If you download movies from the internet by torrents or such, I would recommend the Cinexplayer, it is 2.99 and plays any kind of video file. You can also categorize your videos and set private folders as well. worth the 3 bucks.

Ipad reads the epub book format. Again, if you know how to use torrents you will be able to find thousands of books at your disposal.

I use my pad constantly, for smoe nice games, reading, watching vids, email, even writing. Get the iawriter app for a great ipad writing experience It's a dollar.

Edited by tominbkk

Having an IPod I would recommend you NEVER buy an Apple product. They require a current credit card at all times and are almost impossible to use without it. Even if you have previously bought apps etc if there is an update they wil not allow you to get to the store without the credit card being checked and current.

Itunes is also one of the worst ways I have interfaced with a device.

They only allow a device to be used on a limited number of computers.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I would recommend the application FoxTube - you can download any youtube stuff directly into your ipad. Or get a downloader on your regular com and save them then move them into your ipad. Just make sure to save the MP4 file.

If you download movies from the internet by torrents or such, I would recommend the Cinexplayer, it is 2.99 and plays any kind of video file. You can also categorize your videos and set private folders as well. worth the 3 bucks.

Ipad reads the epub book format. Again, if you know how to use torrents you will be able to find thousands of books at your disposal.

I use my pad constantly, for smoe nice games, reading, watching vids, email, even writing. Get the iawriter app for a great ipad writing experience It's a dollar.

I have tried to download foxtube with no success (the requested URL is not found) and (Safari can not download) I do not know anything about torrents. I will try and download a downloader from my desktop. I already have IDM and I made a one off payment for that about five years ago and it has been brilliant.

I have now found out how to download films and music from youtube from my desktop to my Ipad. thank you posters for your help.

I dont think internet is needed if you already have a smart phone. When you are home the ipad is connected to your wifi anyway and when you are not home you have interne on your phone which you can easily share to your ipad if you want

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Having an IPod I would recommend you NEVER buy an Apple product. They require a current credit card at all times and are almost impossible to use without it. Even if you have previously bought apps etc if there is an update they wil not allow you to get to the store without the credit card being checked and current.

I just don't understand comments like this. I have both the iPod Touch and the iPad mini, and they have both worked flawlessly. They sync together which really makes life easy. I am a big fan, except for their prices, but still think I get full value.

Bull. Mine has has not been updated under my account in 2 years. I can still download and update. Obviously, I cannot purchase, but then again, I use the itunes cards to purchase.

I dont think internet is needed if you already have a smart phone. When you are home the ipad is connected to your wifi anyway and when you are not home you have internet on your phone which you can easily share to your ipad if you want

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

you have just described two scenarios under which you would have internet.

Edited by joeaverage

There are stand alone apps for GPS that do not need cellphone data or wifi to work. All the maps and databases are self contained. Sygic SE Asia is a excellent app that took me all over Thailand with no errors and cellphone data.

Not having a credit card makes buying media over the Internet difficult.

Not having Internet for your iPad makes upgrading impossible.

Amazon sells music for your iPad.

Do you have a Mac?

I have many films and television shows loaded on my iPad. I watch where I want. No Internet. iBooks magazines my photos music preloaded.

So get a credit card, by a Mac, sync all your media with itunes and you will see how great apple products are. Just don't buy music from iTunes.

I think you make a good point and I will take on board what you say, But I can get my Ipad to do what I bought it for, it took a bit of learning and correcting mistakes to download films and music from my desktop on Youtube to my Ipad.

I just don't understand comments like this. I have both the iPod Touch and the iPad mini, and they have both worked flawlessly. They sync together which really makes life easy. I am a big fan, except for their prices, but still think I get full value.

I do understand what Harry is saying, why should anyone need a credit card to purchase anything? What's wrong with a bank debit card or transferring money from my Thai bank account?

Bull. Mine has has not been updated under my account in 2 years. I can still download and update. Obviously, I cannot purchase, but then again, I use the itunes cards to purchase.

Itunes cards? Can you tell me anything about this?

There are stand alone apps for GPS that do not need cellphone data or wifi to work. All the maps and databases are self contained. Sygic SE Asia is a excellent app that took me all over Thailand with no errors and cellphone data.

Not having a credit card makes buying media over the Internet difficult.

Not having Internet for your iPad makes upgrading impossible.

Amazon sells music for your iPad.

Do you have a Mac?

I have many films and television shows loaded on my iPad. I watch where I want. No Internet. iBooks magazines my photos music preloaded.

So get a credit card, by a Mac, sync all your media with itunes and you will see how great apple products are. Just don't buy music from iTunes.

I don't have a Mac, also I was told that Amazon do not ship to Thailand, I'm not sure I believe that though.

I do understand what Harry is saying, why should anyone need a credit card to purchase anything? What's wrong with a bank debit card or transferring money from my Thai bank account?

Not just to buy something....it must be current etc to access the store and get free apps such as the ThaiVIsa one....smile.png ...or to get the updates for those you purchased before.

Itunes gift cards? If you need a link for the cheapest vendor, let me know.

Itunes gift cards? If you need a link for the cheapest vendor, let me know.

Yes..it is possible with Itunes gift card to make a new account.

but it is not possible to change an existing one to use them. My card has expired and I do not intend to replace it.

A new one means losing my purchases.

My Thai iTunes account is set up with a Thai ATM/Debit card. My US account with a US credit card...

My Thai iTunes account is set up with a Thai ATM/Debit card. My US account with a US credit card...

Thanks Jimi, I have a Thai ATM card if I need one and also a UK credit card which I intend to give up. I can do what I bought the Ipad for, and that is to download music and films from Youtube as well as go online, I have made several attempts to buy books and Apple is just making things hard for me, so they can stuff it.

I was just turned on to a great free app, Video D/L. It catches your video cache and save everything quick and easy to your pad. There are more features with the pro version that is four bucks. So far the free one works great for me. I downed a bunch of YouTube files and all seamlessly done.

I'm a bit torrent fan, so I download them on my computer and use the free app flex player to watch avi and mkv files on my iPad. Or you can always use handbrake and make them into mp4v files. Of course you have to use iTunes to transfer the files to the iPad. My wife constantly watches Thai shows and movies from You Tube on her iPad.

nonsense, there are plenty of sources of free content.

as for purchasing an ipad with no internet access, dont bother

What I actually meant was can I use the Ipod without having to be logged on, so I can watch movies and listen to music I have downloaded, but Harrry is right about Apple, it is hard and awkward trying to download Apps etc, sometimes they don't recognise your password. I think Apple is best avoided.

it would seem that the issue is with you and harry, the rest of us -- including my six year old seem to get on just fine.

interestingly, it seems that 3 out of your last 5 posts all deal with your inability to make an online purchase of any sort.

makes me laugh, keep it up.

Not just to buy something....it must be current etc to access the store and get free apps such as the ThaiVIsa one....smile.png ...or to get the updates for those you purchased before.

No, you do not need a credit card to access the Apple Store and download or update free applications.

YOu do with an ipod....or are you calling me a liar.

No, you do not need a credit card to access the Apple Store and download or update free applications.

nonsense, there are plenty of sources of free content.

as for purchasing an ipad with no internet access, dont bother

What I actually meant was can I use the Ipod without having to be logged on, so I can watch movies and listen to music I have downloaded, but Harrry is right about Apple, it is hard and awkward trying to download Apps etc, sometimes they don't recognise your password. I think Apple is best avoided.

Would you prefer not having to have a password? Some apps are very expensive, I think the password is there to protect you! If you know you password, it is very easy to download apps. :)

Now, now, Harry, no need to get testy and accuse anyone of calling you a liar. I shall leave open for question all observations regarding your personal skills of intuition or doing a simple google search. And if you had managed to conduct even the simplest of google searches, you would have realised that google is your friend, and perhaps even found:

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

To create a new Apple ID for use on iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store without a credit card, follow the steps below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Or:

Use the App Store Without a Credit Card

Signing up to use the App Store requires a credit card, right? Wrong. We showed you how to use iTunes without a credit card, and it turns out you can do the same thing with the iOS and Mac App Store. This is a perfect solution for setting up an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac for a kid or for use in a public space, when you want to provide access to the free downloads and updates in the App Stores without the ability to make purchases through it.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/02/app-store-without-credit-card/

----

So now the question is, are you able to follow the instructions?

Now, now, Harry, no need to get testy and accuse anyone of calling you a liar. I shall leave open for question all observations regarding your personal skills of intuition or doing a simple google search. And if you had managed to conduct even the simplest of google searches, you would have realised that google is your friend, and perhaps even found:

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

To create a new Apple ID for use on iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store without a credit card, follow the steps below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Or:

Use the App Store Without a Credit Card

Signing up to use the App Store requires a credit card, right? Wrong. We showed you how to use iTunes without a credit card, and it turns out you can do the same thing with the iOS and Mac App Store. This is a perfect solution for setting up an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac for a kid or for use in a public space, when you want to provide access to the free downloads and updates in the App Stores without the ability to make purchases through it.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/02/app-store-without-credit-card/

----

So now the question is, are you able to follow the instructions?

If you had read the previous posts, or had any real knowledge you will be aware that I already stated an account can be opened without a credit card. What I stated was that an account opened with a credit card cannot be changed to one without. This means all apps previo usly purchased are lost. When you cancel your credit card the store remainss open for browsing but the apps you have allready purchased cannot be updated. I do not consider this good business practice.