44 Dead From Dengue Fever In Thailand; People With High Fever Urged To See Doctor

webfact

44 dead from dengue fever; people with high fever urged to see doctor

BANGKOK, 11 June 2013 (NNT) – The Department of Disease Control has reiterated its concern over the dengue fever situation in Thailand, cautioning the public not to simply take pills for fever when high fever is present, and to instead visit the doctor.

Disease Control Department Director-General Phonthep Siriwanarangsan said the dengue fever situation is very worrisome because it is now the rainy season. In the past week, an average of 570 people become sick with the disease each day.

Since the beginning of the year, almost 40,000 people have fallen ill with the disease; 50% of this number were children under 15 years of age. 44 people have died from dengue fever so far this year.

Sonkhla was the province with the highest number of dengue fever deaths (7), followed by Nakhon Si Thammarat, Surin and Loei.

Md. Phonthep said one should quickly visit the doctor if high fever, head aches and bodily aches are present.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-11 footer_n.gif

When I looked at before posting the link it had map of Thailand with red dots in various places, larger dots for more reported cases and smaller dots for fewer.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i had a dengue fever 2 years ago,

and I heard the Second time if you get it can be Dangerous more,

What should i have to do now? stay at home until the end of rainy Season?

Every time I leave the house I put mosquito preparations, Is enough?

". . .because it's the rainy season . . ." ??

Where is it the rainy season? I didn't think anywhere in Thailand had their rainy season this time of year . . .?? Please correct me . . .

And what is ''worrysome '? Is that intended to mean 'worrying'?

It's just so irritatesome to read this kind of "I'm an important spokesman I use long and important words" jargonese.

R

Edited by robsamui

There are 4 serotypes - you were infected with one, and yes, there is a possibility of more danger with the infection by another type. The mosquitoes involved typically bites during the daytime, and most people seem to get infected around their own house, or places with lots of water left in pots. You can minimise risk by having good house screening, emptying all of these pots and wear the mosquito lotion outside.

Singapore is also having dengue problems this year. I think this is a bad dengue year for the whole region. As the headlines attest .. it can be deadly, particularly for children.

But of course it's bad for tourism, particularly when it's other name "hemorrhagic fever" is used. So hopefully information won't be suppressed.

The mosquito is of the Aedes species. 4 types - not sure which type (s) are specific to Thailand. In some countries I have worked and lived in they are referred to as the tiger mosquito due to the prominent black and white stripe markings along their backs. They are smaller than regular mozzies and bite during the day.... More prolific during dawn and dusk in my personal experience. Best advice is to eradicate all stagnant water around the home, and don't frequent restaurants or similar with stagnant water features where this mozzy will breed. Above all don't get bitten. The mozzy repellent available in 7/11 works for me, no need for DEET here it seems.

Regarding a second infection, my understanding is you can either become immune to further infection, or, have a significantly worse illness second time around. My understanding is it depends in which type of the Aedes you have been subjected too.

Dengue Fever is as we all know BAD news!

In "Some" countries, where tourism is important, there is an active campaign to suppress information about such pathologies. Dengue is prevalent in Thailand.

Take precautions.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/

This link takes you to the World Health Organisation's centre and gives facts about Dengue and its deadly follow on - Haemorrhagic Fever.

CDC in Atlanta is probably the best site for any epidemic or dread infection.

CDC also have a Dengue Site Map.

http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/

Use DEET insect repellent at all times. Cover up where possible. Aedes mosquitos are aggressive and known to be active all times of the day. make it part of your daily routine to use DEET, like many people remember to use deodorant. Clean up all sources of water outside and in that encourage breeding. The price of health is eternal vigilance.I was sick for 2 months with Dengue - its not nicknamed breakbone fever for nothing. God bless.

I was getting all ready for my Thai retirement to Issan from UK, all problems sorted, health risks checked, then.........dengue fever, and, high in Loei province. Hoping to settle in Loei however, I am on Warfarin, the blood thinner for my heart valve replacement. Dengue fever causes haemorrhaging. Haemorrhaging and warfarin equals, at best long stay hospital emergency, or worse, death. How dangerous would it be with this latest outbreak, for me now in Thailand? Also, anyone taking warfarin or similar currently in Thailand, how vulnerable do you feel? Are you able to keep risk of infection to a minimum, without wearing protection clothing head to toe!?