Accu-Chek Test Strips (Blood Sugar Testing)

bkkmick

Hi

Anyone living in Bangkok and using Accu-Chek Performer testing strips?

If so, have you found a cheap place to buy them? (Bangkok only please). The last time I bought a pack of 25 it was THB510.

Doc reckons that I've "progressed" from Type 2 to Type 1 (lucky me). Will be starting injections soon (gulp!).

Testing a lot prior to the next meeting so that the doctor can see my numbers (hardly ever below 200).

Cheers

Mick

Can't comment on the test strips, but you've misunderstood your doctor. You can't "progress" from type 2 to type 1 diabetes - they are fundamentally different conditions with different underlying causes.

What is apparent is that diet/exercise/oral drugs have failed to stop your condition getting worse, hence now the need for injections.

• Like 1

Don't let the need to start insulin injections bother you! I resisted the change for a long time before my doctor finally became adamant. I had visions of having to fill a syringe and give myself a shot - and I hated and dreaded the idea! What he prescribed was the Lotus Solostar - a self-contained pen-like tube pre-loaded with the insulin. Yo just dial the dosage and make an injection. Apparently, there are several locations that are suitable but I make my shots in the belly, near the belly-button. I was amazed to realize that the process is essentially painless and simple! So much so that I told the doctor that I was sorry I had waited so long to make the change! I've used this method for several years, now, and have no problems and don't have to take expensive pills anymore.

• 3 months later...

BUMP...

Having used the search function I haven't seen any clear results, rather just discussions relaying the virtue of diet, various test kits etc...

My Wife has been diagnosed and needs to test regularly (7 times daily over the next 3 months).

Thus: While the Accu-Chek strips are readily available for 560 baht (25) at boots, I'd like to source a cheaper option.

Therefore my question is directly at anyone who knows where may I buy Accu-Chek Active test strips in Bangkok for at reasonable cost ?

Can't comment on the test strips, but you've misunderstood your doctor. You can't "progress" from type 2 to type 1 diabetes - they are fundamentally different conditions with different underlying causes.

What is apparent is that diet/exercise/oral drugs have failed to stop your condition getting worse, hence now the need for injections.

You can progress from type 2 to type 1.5. It's basically a type 2 diabetic who requires insulin.

I hope the OP's doctor is making this "diagnosis" based on a peptide C test and not just on a hunch.

B400 per tub of 25 in 'Cheap Pharmacy', which has branches in most shopping malls. The prices will be cheaper if you buy from the wholesale places (usually run by some Chinese family), such as the one in between Sukumvit and Big C on On Nut road

You can progress from type 2 to type 1.5. It's basically a type 2 diabetic who requires insulin.

I hope the OP's doctor is making this "diagnosis" based on a peptide C test and not just on a hunch.

While some type 2 diabetics require insulin the majority can be managed by diet and/or oral medications.

All type 1 diabetics by definition require insulin since the panceas is unable to manufacture insulin.

Type 1.5 is a rare condition (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) and there is still some ongoing debate as to whether it is a distinct entity apart from type 1 or just a type 1 variant that has slower onset.

People with type 2 diabetes do not "progress" to type 1/1.5 What does happen though is that with age, the type 2 may worsen (especially if diet and exercise are poor) with increasingly poor blood sugar control requiring increased measures, such as more oral meds/higher dosages or insulin. Some people may be confused and thing that if type 2 progressed to the point insulin was required this means it became type 1. Not so.

While some type 2 diabetics require insulin the majority can be managed by diet and/or oral medications.

All type 1 diabetics by definition require insulin since the panceas is unable to manufacture insulin.

Type 1.5 is a rare condition (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) and there is still some ongoing debate as to whether it is a distinct entity apart from type 1 or just a type 1 variant that has slower onset.

People with type 2 diabetes do not "progress" to type 1/1.5 What does happen though is that with age, the type 2 may worsen (especially if diet and exercise are poor) with increasingly poor blood sugar control requiring increased measures, such as more oral meds/higher dosages or insulin. Some people may be confused and thing that if type 2 progressed to the point insulin was required this means it became type 1. Not so.

I said "you CAN progress from type 2 to type 1.5.... not that everyone will.

B400 per tub of 25 in 'Cheap Pharmacy', which has branches in most shopping malls. The prices will be cheaper if you buy from the wholesale places (usually run by some Chinese family), such as the one in between Sukumvit and Big C on On Nut road

Good advice thanks... We found the shop located between Big C and Sukhumvit - B400 per 25 strips.

Much better else than anywhere else we saw. Also stocked up on some other regular medication...

Good advice thanks... We found the shop located between Big C and Sukhumvit - B400 per 25 strips.

Much better else than anywhere else we saw. Also stocked up on some other regular medication...

That's the best price I've ever seen for strips here in Thailand. I think the best we can do in Pattaya is Fascino. If anyone knows of a place which is cheaper, please let us know.

There are many relatively inexpensive drug stores (with real pharmacists) around Victory. Take the BTS to Victory, direction Mor Chit, take the farthest north left-side exit, cross the street and walk left. Or take the 100 baht mini bus from outside Pattaya's Center Condo (perhaps other locations too) - it goes to Victory; frequent departures in both directions. I paid 400 baht for the 25 strip containers.

That area has a lot of huge hospitals too, if you need to get a prescription.

That's the best price I've ever seen for strips here in Thailand. I think the best we can do in Pattaya is Fascino. If anyone knows of a place which is cheaper, please let us know.

I looked back on my last pack of strips for the EasyGluco meter, and noticed that I was paying 770 baht for 50 (25 x 2) strips at Fascino, so the 400 baht per 25 strips is not such a special price.

Unfortunately Fascino have discontinued stocking these strips so I may have to buy a new meter - my 3rd due lack of availability of strips in Thailand. I don't trust any brand now.

It's a travesty that diabetics have to pay so much for strips in Thailand. I saw a meter sold online (from USA) costing 250 baht, with strips costing only 250 baht for 50... and they even sell control solution for under 100 baht. It's so primitive here in Thailand that you cannot purchase control solution.

.. unfortunately the postage to Thailand is $56 with this particular company... so postage will cost more than 200 strips, the meter and control solution combined.