Blood Sugar Monitor Device

forumuser10

No, as a foreigner you are not entitled to free health care, meds or supplies here. You have to buy it.

There are a lot of TV members with diabetes and have been many threads on the subject of home glucose monitors, suggest yo udo a search of thsi forum to see what brands, cost etc

You can buy in most pharmacies at reasonable cost but remember the big cost is the test strips and that will be ongoing so you might want to base your choice of unit on that cost. Most people here do not monitor except during doctor visits so there is not much choice or competition for price and nobody offers for free that I know. You can also order on Ebay. Be aware there can be considerable difference in units as to how much blood is needed (pain factor for some) which can also be a cost factor if you have many test strips lost to not enough blood for making the test. Be sure you can get the test strips - copies are sold and expiration dates can be short so be careful where you source them from.

No, as a foreigner you are not entitled to free health care, meds or supplies here. You have to buy it.

There are a lot of TV members with diabetes and have been many threads on the subject of home glucose monitors, suggest yo udo a search of thsi forum to see what brands, cost etc

Yes, tried the search function, did not get much results

You can buy in most pharmacies at reasonable cost but remember the big cost is the test strips and that will be ongoing so you might want to base your choice of unit on that cost. Most people here do not monitor except during doctor visits so there is not much choice or competition for price and nobody offers for free that I know. You can also order on Ebay. Be aware there can be considerable difference in units as to how much blood is needed (pain factor for some) which can also be a cost factor if you have many test strips lost to not enough blood for making the test. Be sure you can get the test strips - copies are sold and expiration dates can be short so be careful where you source them from.

Thank you for this informational post!

You might try a large chain pharmacy such as Fascino's but do bear in mind what Lopburi wrote. I bought a monitor called CodeFree, about THB 2,500 but strips are 800 for 50, the device has had some excellent reviews.

Where did you buy your meter?

I have been looking at the SD codefree meter. Is it the same unit?

I have seen the strips on eBay from £4.99 for 50

Or the whole package meter 300 strips and lancets for £49.99

You might try a large chain pharmacy such as Fascino's but do bear in mind what Lopburi wrote. I bought a monitor called CodeFree, about THB 2,500 but strips are 800 for 50, the device has had some excellent reviews.

IIt's the same device, I bought mine at Fascino's in Chiang mai - that's a great price, make sure it's all original product and not expired strips because it sounds cheap by comparison (maybe just here that's expensive), lancets here are 150 baht for 50.

You have two separate choices to make:

1. Buying a meter which has the cheapest possible accurate test strips.

2. Buying a lancing device which causes you the minimum possible pain.

I can't advise you on choice one as that depends on where you live but on choice two you might want to consider the Accucheck Multiclix. Once you've got the knack it's virtually pain free - and don't believe anyone who says you need to use a new lancet every time you test. As long as you're the only one that's using it a single lancet will last for months! Even if you're not going to use the meter it's woth buying an Accuchek meter to got hold of a Multiclix lancer.

https://www.accu-che.../multiclix.html

Poor reviews in the UK

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/sd-codefree-blood-glucose-meter.html

I use ACCU-CHEK Performa , I got a starter kit for around 60 pounds , the test strips are about 20 pounds for 50 pcs . Sounds expensive doesn't it ?

It is easy to use and has a little bag into which all fits for portability .

Poor reviews in the UK

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/sd-codefree-blood-glucose-meter.html

Yes there were some poor reviews. But it seems that they had a batch of faulty strips. I'm pre diabetic so I imagine after the 1st few months of intensive testing on what foods work my usage will drop to twice a day. Not sure if that's realistic :)

Poor reviews in the UK

http://www.diabetes....cose-meter.html

Yes there were some poor reviews. But it seems that they had a batch of faulty strips. I'm pre diabetic so I imagine after the 1st few months of intensive testing on what foods work my usage will drop to twice a day. Not sure if that's realistic smile.png

It kinda depends on your food choices, i eat the same a lot so i don't need to test myself a lot. Also my levels are not that high, considered normal but still on the high side. I just keep an eye out that they wont go to too high.

As with many things here, be sure you can get everything for your meter.

The meter from UK, could not get strips or needles here, getting them sent was a pain and a hit and miss affair

Bought a Accu-Chek Advantage here.. Since Floods over 12 months ago have been unable to find any new strips, now have 5 left !! cannot use as last week stopped working, Battery ? so far been unable to find a new battery..

It is the same with many things here, sure you can buy new, but get refill = No have.......... one thing I have the only place for the part is 110 km away, have to drive 220 km to get a 200 baht part !!!!!!!!

After 10 years here still amazes me that shops can sell items and have not parts/refills and have no idea when you can buy them.

As with many things here, be sure you can get everything for your meter.

The meter from UK, could not get strips or needles here, getting them sent was a pain and a hit and miss affair

Bought a Accu-Chek Advantage here.. Since Floods over 12 months ago have been unable to find any new strips, now have 5 left !! cannot use as last week stopped working, Battery ? so far been unable to find a new battery..

It is the same with many things here, sure you can buy new, but get refill = No have.......... one thing I have the only place for the part is 110 km away, have to drive 220 km to get a 200 baht part !!!!!!!!

After 10 years here still amazes me that shops can sell items and have not parts/refills and have no idea when you can buy them.

For battery try tesco lotus. I was surprised the different types of round watch style batteries.

For battery try tesco lotus. I was surprised the different types of round watch style batteries.

Many thanks, only about 45 km, so will make a trip there next week

Not been there for at least 2 years, there was an electrical + many spare parts place/shop inside the building, so maybe they will have also..

Edited by ignis

I'm back to the UK for a short visit in April if you need any strips etc

It kinda depends on your food choices, i eat the same a lot so i don't need to test myself a lot. Also my levels are not that high, considered normal but still on the high side. I just keep an eye out that they wont go to too high.

If you read the reviews on the CodeFree device, that might account for the accuracy problem we discussed recently, I wonder if it's worth ditching it and trying something else. It might also account for the disparity between the Gluco. reading and the A1C result!

Poor reviews in the UK

http://www.diabetes....cose-meter.html

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I'm back to the UK for a short visit in April if you need any strips etc

Thanks.........Any shops left in UK ?........... part of Email from my Cousin this morning.... Comet, Jessops, HMV and Game, as well as many small High Street names have all gone into liquidation since Christmas, what with all the ones we lost last year there soon won’t be much left on the high street apart from the charity shops

You have two separate choices to make:

1. Buying a meter which has the cheapest possible accurate test strips.

2. Buying a lancing device which causes you the minimum possible pain.

I can't advise you on choice one as that depends on where you live but on choice two you might want to consider the Accucheck Multiclix. Once you've got the knack it's virtually pain free - and don't believe anyone who says you need to use a new lancet every time you test. As long as you're the only one that's using it a single lancet will last for months! Even if you're not going to use the meter it's woth buying an Accuchek meter to got hold of a Multiclix lancer.

Although I have used (wife) this lancer for many years have never seen it for sale in Thailand (although it might be somewhere). I obtained with Accu-Chek Aviva (which is also not available here and name changed). As said most can be obtained in five days from UK Ebay sources when required (we do not use much - just as reference for 3 month hospital tests or when suspect low sugar causing issues. For batteries Ebay is an excellent source using the free shipment from places in China - less cost than local purchase in most cases.

Now not so certain about the CodeFree accuracy issue, see the attached link and scroll down to the comparative test results, looks pretty sound to me.

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/220903935762

Separate reviews of glucometers here:

http://www.menshealth.com/spotlight/diabetes/top-blood-glucose-meters.php

http://www.diabeteswellbeing.com/comparison-of-blood-glucose-meters.html

http://forecast.diabetes.org/meters-2012

Edited by chiang mai

If you read the reviews on the CodeFree device, that might account for the accuracy problem we discussed recently, I wonder if it's worth ditching it and trying something else. It might also account for the disparity between the Gluco. reading and the A1C result!

I use the one touch ultra from lifescan.. so i have no idea about the others. But i don't use it as much as my value's are pretty good FBS 90's and post meal values (1hr) of 100. Also because i eat a lot of the same foods i don't have to test too much.

I use the one touch ultra from lifescan.. so i have no idea about the others. But i don't use it as much as my value's are pretty good FBS 90's and post meal values (1hr) of 100. Also because i eat a lot of the same foods i don't have to test too much.

Did you buy the meter in Thailand ? If so, where did you buy and do you have problems buying replacement strips ?

Did you buy the meter in Thailand ? If so, where did you buy and do you have problems buying replacement strips ?

Hi i bought it in Thailand so far no problems getting replacement strips. This might happen in the future you never know here in this country.

I have an accu check compact plus which was a replacement last year free as I registered with accu check when I got my first free meter, the downside is the strips are not available here, when Iwas home in the summer they wanted £20 a box ( three drums I think which is 51 strips) however, if you are still registered with a gp then they can be got on prescription (free) get a family member to collect and forward to you. I had to buy mine online from a Canadian pharmacy! 100$ for three boxes.

I have an accu check compact plus which was a replacement last year free as I registered with accu check when I got my first free meter, the downside is the strips are not available here, when Iwas home in the summer they wanted £20 a box ( three drums I think which is 51 strips) however, if you are still registered with a gp then they can be got on prescription (free) get a family member to collect and forward to you. I had to buy mine online from a Canadian pharmacy! 100$ for three boxes.

If you're talking about the NHS in the UK they only usually prescribe strips if you're insulin dependent.

you might want to consider the Accucheck Multiclix. Once you've got the knack it's virtually pain free - and don't believe anyone who says you need to use a new lancet every time you test. As long as you're the only one that's using it a single lancet will last for months! Even if you're not going to use the meter it's woth buying an Accuchek meter to got hold of a Multiclix lancer.

Agree on all counts. I've been taking insulin for almost 20 years, and the Multiclix is by far the best pen I've ever used.