Do Not Go Fast On A Honda Click

reading the replies here makes me think twice about getting a bike in Thailand...90/100km/hr is not that fast

I am a motorcycle tech here in AU been one since the mid 60's ...was the head tech at honda in NSW and left to start my own business

I can say by experience the honda CT90/110 and the Yamaha virago XV250 would be the best made small bike that has ever been produced

the Honda CT110 are used by Auspost as mail delivery bikes and have to say they are bullet proof.have seen them ridden down flights of stairs,driven into creeks that were 1/2 mtr deep,riden into power polls,gone without oil changes for years and the list goes on and on

Yamaha XV250 virago....great bike that can be ridden in traffic like BKK and on the other hand will sit on 120kmh in comfort

the thing is I have never seen any of these bikes while in Bangkok

Austpost are now changing over to the Honda Cub which is like the Honda Dream both made in Thailand so we will see how a Thailand made bikes will take the abuse that the Honda CT110 has over the years

reading the replies here makes me think twice about getting a bike in Thailand...90/100km/hr is not that fast

It's not that fast depending on what you're riding- the 90kph example was in reference to a specific bike (or class of bikes), not to that speed in general.

Yes, those little Hondas are bullet-proof as far as general transportation goes- how fast do you feel comfortable riding one, though?;)

The Virago is a totally different bike (I agree it's a nice little cruiser) and was built to handle highway speeds- it ain't no scooter, though.

1,200+ km trips on such a bike can't be really fun.

Here're my reasons for not driving that fast on a small bike like that:

1. An unknown pothole let's me fly right into the sky.......

2. Was too late when I saw the buffalo..am with Santa now doing the hooo hoooo hoooo....

3. Put bicycle tires on my motorbike, bike drives faster now through the day, but misses passed away...

4. Didn't know there was a problem with the rear light, especially when driving at night, now i had to give up the fight....

5. The sixteen wheeler's brake were even worse than mine, you can now visit me in my shrine.

The reason(s) why you shouldn't drive fast are pretty obvious. Please visit any emergency rooms at bigger hospitals and stay there for an hour

Ask the victims what went wrong....wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

@ RubberSideDown, I can agree with what you're saying in regards to bike components and reliability, but if some one gets rear ended, the <deleted> is ALWAYS the one who rear ends, no exceptions unless there is a MINIMUM speed limit posted, which I haven't seen anywhere on any HWY in Thai. Riding fast doesn't give anyone rights to rear end and run slower riders/drivers off the road.Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I didn't refer to anyone being rear-ended on this thread- that was another poster- I said if your speed is the determining cause of an accident, it's your fault, and that riding too fast on a scooter is foolish from a safety perspective (when I used the word '<deleted>' it was regarding the speed itself, not necessarily being hit from behind, which would be less likely at a rapid pace)- being rear-ending was brought up by someone else after I responded to a different point.
Leaving the words <deleted> and scooter out of the equation, are you saying if I travel at 80kmph oh a hwy with max posted speed limit of 100kmph, it's my fault if I get rear ended? OK, makes sense... perhaps you need to review the definition of MAX posted speed limit?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are probably heavier than your Click. Top heavy=poor handling, especially at higher speeds. I have one that I use for short runs & if my car is in the shop. I'd rather have a bigger bike(having owned HD's and one old BSA 650. Braking hard on my Click is not fun and it has a minimal suspension (for my weight of 87 kilos)

@ RubberSideDown, I can agree with what you're saying in regards to bike components and reliability, but if some one gets rear ended, the <deleted> is ALWAYS the one who rear ends, no exceptions unless there is a MINIMUM speed limit posted, which I haven't seen anywhere on any HWY in Thai. Riding fast doesn't give anyone rights to rear end and run slower riders/drivers off the road.Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I didn't refer to anyone being rear-ended on this thread- that was another poster- I said if your speed is the determining cause of an accident, it's your fault, and that riding too fast on a scooter is foolish from a safety perspective (when I used the word '<deleted>' it was regarding the speed itself, not necessarily being hit from behind, which would be less likely at a rapid pace)- being rear-ending was brought up by someone else after I responded to a different point.

Leaving the words <deleted> and scooter out of the equation, are you saying if I travel at 80kmph oh a hwy with max posted speed limit of 100kmph, it's my fault if I get rear ended? OK, makes sense... perhaps you need to review the definition of MAX posted speed limit?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What are you talking about? I've been very clear in what I'm saying, and I don't know how to make it any clearer Once again, I never said anything specific about being rear-ended- "If your speed is the DETERMINING CAUSE of an accident ('determining cause' is the critical factor) then it's your fault"- how can you argue that?- yes, most accidents where someone is hit from the rear turn out to be the fault of the person behind- so what? How is that germaine to the topic-at-hand?

We're not talking about riding 90kph on a 100kph road- we're talking about the relative safety of riding a Click (and scooters in the same class) beyond their acceptable safety limits- the speed limit (and causal factors of rear-end collisions) are irrelevant.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I love my Honda PCX 125. Zippy enough for in-town ... heavy and stable enough to cruise at 100kph. Comfortable enough for long trips. Tubeless tyres ... only two flats over 3 years and 40,000 km.

Whenever someone brings up how dangerous the roads are in Thailand (and they are) I always have to remind them that the number one danger to motorbike riders are the riders themselves- it's not the cars (or even the drunks) so much as the riders just get into situations their limited abilities can't overcome- generally, on a larger bike, many of these situations could have been avoided provided a good rider (or even a mediocre one with ABS) was at the controls, but we're talking about taking a cheap scooter to a level at which even the best rider in the world couldn't stop from 90kph in less than 200 feet or more (a top-notch bike approaches 120 feet) because the bike itself won't allow it- if you're dumb enough to intentionally put yourself in that (very probable) situation, well, there's not much that can be said for you.

You wanna ride fast? Buy a bike built for the purpose.

• Like 2

All the clueless comments about the Honda Click being cheaply mass-produced and inherently unsafe are pure rubbish.

For those who haven't noticed, Honda is by far the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer and has been for 50 years.

Honda does not cheaply mass-produce anything. Every product they make is thoroughly tested under the most stringent

conditions imaginable. That's the very reason Hondas take so much punishment and almost never break.

The reason some Honda motorbikes (as well as other quality machines) sometimes become unsafe is because the owner

has no clue about proper maintenance and, of course, common sense safety precautions.

If you never check the tire pressure or tire condition you could easily cause yourself huge problems -- as with any other

vehicle of any size. If you are blindly running 100 kph and hit a big chuckhole in the road, you may maim or kill yourself

even on a much bigger machine.

The Honda Click is as stable at highways speeds as other good 125cc machines. And it's safety and reliability depends

mostly on the common sense and awareness of the rider. I bought my first new Honda motorcycle in Japan in January

1963. Over the years I cannot count how many Hondas I have owned -- and I've never had a bad one.

Right now I'm riding a Honda Click 125i. It is a totally competent machine for its size and purpose.

• Like 1

All the clueless comments about the Honda Click being cheaply mass-produced and inherently unsafe are pure rubbish......

Right now I'm riding a Honda Click 125i. It is a totally competent machine for its size and purpose.

I don't think anyone is dumping on the manufacturer so much as noting (as you have done also) that the Click is great for its size and purpose. Which is not touring. Not that it can't be used to tour - anything can. Just that a small city bike with small wheels, low(er) grade suspension and brakes can be unsafe on highways at the higher speeds required, and surrounded by often much faster moving traffic. Perhaps 20 years ago I would have felt totally comfortable touring on a little bike - the roads were more <deleted> than today, but there were fewer cars, and most moved very sedately. Times have changed. Today I want enough engine power and braking power to get me out of trouble, suspension that copes with weight of a falang rider and luggage and still provides good dynamics & balance, and, finally, excellent tyres. It is also far less tiring for the rider (another important component of safety) to have a bigger bike that does everything with a large margin of reserve.

So yes, ride a Click around Thailand or the world, but be aware of its considerable limitations.

• Like 2

All the clueless comments about the Honda Click being cheaply mass-produced and inherently unsafe are pure rubbish.

For those who haven't noticed, Honda is by far the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer and has been for 50 years.

It absolutely is cheaply mass-produced, as are all the scooters made for the SE Asian market (Honda or not)- it has to meet a certain price-point, and thus that limits the choice of components.

I don't recall anyone calling it 'inherently unsafe'- it's certainly not safe at the ultimate speed at which its engine is capable of propelling it due to the cheap brakes and tires with which it's equipped.

It's a good-quality scooter and is excellent transportation, but bearing the Honda marque doesn't make it better than it is.

I've owned several Hondas as well, from 110cc to 1100cc- they all had their good and bad points (my VFR let me down mechanically due a flaw in the design process- even Honda engineers aren't perfect).;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Today I want enough engine power and braking power to get me out of trouble, suspension that copes with weight of a falang rider and luggage and still provides good dynamics & balance, and, finally, excellent tyres. It is also far less tiring for the rider (another important component of safety) to have a bigger bike that does everything with a large margin of reserve.

You've just described a Honda PCX. (I'm biased!)

Perhaps this was already suggested, but I would definitely not go 90 on a scooter....as you are required to drive close to, and sometimes on, the side of the road. Too much chance of potholes, debris and slower scooters/tuk-tuks getting in the way. I assume you would be passing slower traffic as well. Sure, I ride a bigger bike (Old Honda Phantom), but evidently the same rule applies. So far, I have not been stopped for riding in wrong lanes....but I was stopped for riding my truck in the far right lane of a two lane highway, while not passing. Man, those small wheels on a scooter scare the hell out of me, but I got a little girlie Filano that I use in Udon Thani for short runs. I love not having to work the gears, and just going slowly, but effectively, through traffic.

Perhaps this was already suggested, but I would definitely not go 90 on a scooter.

I agree. At least for extended periods. My old Yamaha Mio seemed to be most happy cruising along at 70kph on long trips (200k or so)... but the constant rear wheel flats were a pain.

Perhaps this was already suggested, but I would definitely not go 90 on a scooter....as you are required to drive close to, and sometimes on, the side of the road. Too much chance of potholes, debris and slower scooters/tuk-tuks getting in the way. I assume you would be passing slower traffic as well. Sure, I ride a bigger bike (Old Honda Phantom), but evidently the same rule applies. So far, I have not been stopped for riding in wrong lanes....but I was stopped for riding my truck in the far right lane of a two lane highway, while not passing. Man, those small wheels on a scooter scare the hell out of me, but I got a little girlie Filano that I use in Udon Thani for short runs. I love not having to work the gears, and just going slowly, but effectively, through traffic.

A sensible post.

A bigger bike isn't safer than a small bike.

It's the rider who renders a bike safe or unsafe depending on; their skill, experience and consideratiion for the surrounding conditions.

Stopping quickly on a big bike can be exciting if you misjudge your surroundings. Just as it can be exciting if you do the same on a smaller bike. The faster you go the more alert you need to be and in Thailand that's very alert indeed.

The OP's bike has been designed to travel at the speeds that it is capable of and a speed of 80 to 90 km/h is reasonable on an open road. He should be prepared to slow down to a more appropriate speed if the surrounding conditions present more of a hazard. In the same way you would need slow down on a bigger bike.

Travelling at speed his bike will go all day and through the night without any problems (if it's been well maintained). However for extended running he would need to check and maintain tire pressures more frequntly than if he was merely commuting around town. Smaller tires loose pressure quicker than the larger tires of a big bike because of the smaller volume.

There's nothing wrong in using small bikes for a road trip. Their riders are doing exactly the same as riders of bigger bikes. Enjoying the ride.

It just takes them a little longer to arrive at their destination. Which may mean they had a better time.

Jerry

A bigger bike isn't safer than a small bike.

That's a bit of a broad sweeping incorrect statement. Depending on the circumstances bigger bikes can be and are safer. The reverse is also true.

Broad sweeping, okay yes. Incorrect, no.

I did add: It's the rider who renders a bike safe or unsafe depending on; their skill, experience and consideratiion for the surrounding conditions.

The bike doesn't do anything of it's own volition. It only responds to the riders actions.

Bigger bikes tend to be ridden harder so they are operating in the upper region of their design envelope. Aids such as ABS or anti-dive forks won't do anything for you if you err outside the design envelope.

Jerry

Yeah ... fair enough. We've all seen idiots push their scooters/bikes beyond what they are designed for. I see it several times a day, every day here in Thailand ... and about 3 times a year back in Oz.

Bikes, and cars for that matter, are designed with parameters. The closer you get to those edges, the less stable they become.

A Click is designed to peak a 100/110 and something like a Hayabusa is designed for 300. Ride well within the parameters is fine, stretch it, you better know what you are doing.

A Click is designed to peak a 100/110

But it's not designed to to be ridden at that speed for an extended amount of time. Overtaking for a few seconds ... yes. Cruising ...no. Keep it around 70-80. (Unless you want to buy a new bike every 3 years)

EDIT ... But I see your point. "Don't push it"

Edited by Fullstop

It absolutely is cheaply mass-produced, as are all the scooters made for the SE Asian market (Honda or not)- it has to meet a certain price-point, and thus that limits the choice of components.

I don't recall anyone calling it 'inherently unsafe'- it's certainly not safe at the ultimate speed at which its engine is capable of propelling it due to the cheap brakes and tires with which it's equipped.

It's a good-quality scooter and is excellent transportation, but bearing the Honda marque doesn't make it better than it is.

I've owned several Hondas as well, from 110cc to 1100cc- they all had their good and bad points (my VFR let me down mechanically due a flaw in the design process- even Honda engineers aren't perfect).wink.png

This is precisely the kind of biased misinformation I was talking about. A lot of

pseudo experts who know very little about the actual machines.

All machines compete in the market, but it doesn't mean the manufacturer is

willing to make a substandard product to meet that so-called price point.

The amount of advanced technology in a Honda Click is far more advanced that

that of my 1978 Honda 6-cylinger CBX, for example. The Click has liquid-cooling,

electronic ignition, fuel injection and a lot more that the CBX did not have.

If Honda really wanted to produce a cheap product as you suggest they could've

used a lot cheaper technology. Also your remarks about the tires is rubbish. The

tires have to meet established standards or they will not be used.

I'm afraid you repeat hearsay and don't know what you are talking about.

I had a brand new one,for some reason I never did feel at one with it, and didn't feel comfortable,I always thought it was me,getting a bit shaky with age, and gripping the handlebars too tight,not that doing that would save me, if I came off it.

I've owned several Hondas as well, from 110cc to 1100cc- they all had their good and bad points (my VFR let me down mechanically due a flaw in the design process- even Honda engineers aren't perfect).;)

This is precisely the kind of biased misinformation I was talking about. A lot of

pseudo experts who know very little about the actual machines.

All machines compete in the market, but it doesn't mean the manufacturer is

willing to make a substandard product to meet that so-called price point.

The amount of advanced technology in a Honda Click is far more advanced that

that of my 1978 Honda 6-cylinger CBX, for example. The Click has liquid-cooling,

electronic ignition, fuel injection and a lot more that the CBX did not have.

If Honda really wanted to produce a cheap product as you suggest they could've

used a lot cheaper technology. Also your remarks about the tires is rubbish. The

tires have to meet established standards or they will not be used.

Well, I'm glad I have an expert like you to set me straight- your opinion certainly means more to me than my own years of experience...

Yes, the comparison between the CBX and the Click is certainly valid to the OP (yes, technology has improved in the last 35 years- that's not exactly a news flash- the Mazda 2 has technology that you won't find in a Ferrari F-40- which one would you feel safer in going over 160kph?)

To say the Click (and every other scooter in the ~50K price-point) isn't cheaply-produced is utter rubbish- that's the whole point of the class- NO ONE SAID THEY WERE CRAP OR SOMEHOW 'SUBSTANDARD' FOR WHAT THEY'RE MEANT TO BE'- that's your assumption because you obviously didn't read the thread (there's no way you would be posting like this if you had)- what I said was that they are not safe at high (90kph) speeds- if you disagree with that, fine, but you're coming across as a bit unstable (and you seem desperate to be seen as an 'expert' when in fact many of us have plenty of experience with the bike in question as well as others in the class and don't require your condescending blather that has no relation to the original post)

You really need to work on your reading comprehension- you're about to have a stroke trying to counter points that were never made in the first place- all you're doing is presenting 'Straw Man Fallacies' because (as a Honda fan) your feelings are somehow hurt by basic facts about ONE of their models (that your bias doesn't let you see).

Edited by RubberSideDown

Well, I'm glad I have an expert like you to set me straight- your opinion certainly means more to me than my own years of experience...

Yes, the comparison between the CBX and the Click is certainly valid to the OP (yes, technology has improved in the last 35 years- that's not exactly a news flash- the Mazda 2 has technology that you won't find in a Ferrari F-40- which one would you feel safer in going over 160kph?)

To say the Click (and every other scooter in the ~50K price-point) isn't cheaply-produced is utter rubbish- that's the whole point of the class- NO ONE SAID THEY WERE CRAP OR SOMEHOW 'SUBSTANDARD' FOR WHAT THEY'RE MEANT TO BE'- that's your assumption because you obviously didn't read the thread (there's no way you would be posting like this if you had)- what I said was that they are not safe at high (90kph) speeds- if you disagree with that, fine, but you're coming across as a bit unstable (and you seem desperate to be seen as an 'expert' when in fact many of us have plenty of experience with the bike in question as well as others in the class and don't require your condescending blather that has no relation to the original post)

You really need to work on your reading comprehension- you're about to have a stroke trying to counter points that were never made in the first place- all you're doing is presenting 'Straw Man Fallacies' because (as a Honda fan) your feelings are somehow hurt by basic facts about ONE of their models (that your bias doesn't let you see).

You seem to be the one on the verge of a stroke. I'm as cool as a cucumber in January... sick.gif

That's terrific, Brad- now maybe you can post regarding the topic-at-hand instead of inventing windmills to tilt at.

Dear Mr. Don Quixote, may I suggest you get a life? You are out of your league here, son.

That's terrific, Brad- now maybe you can post regarding the topic-at-hand instead of inventing windmills to tilt at.

Dear Mr. Don Quixote, may I suggest you get a life? You are out of your league here, son.

Take it easy with the condescension, 'dad'- I don't know you, and you sure don't know me- I'm responding to your posts on this thread, which are just silly considering you are completely incorrect in your assumptions,

You came into this thread crying about your beloved Click being called 'sub-standard'- it wasn't- it is actually the industry standard, which is decent, cheap, mass-produced transportation not meant for high-speed (and 90kph is 'high-speed' on a scooter) travel.

Take it easy with the condescension, 'dad'- I don't know you, and you sure don't know me- I'm responding to your posts on this thread, which are just silly considering you are completely incorrect in your assumptions,

You came into this thread crying about your beloved Click being called 'sub-standard'- it wasn't- it is actually the industry standard, which is decent, cheap, mass-produced transportation not meant for high-speed (and 90kph is 'high-speed' on a scooter) travel.

You are the one guilty of condescension all along. You talk about reading comprehension,

but if you read my original post, there was nothing resembling crying. I can only respectfully

suggest that you take a hike.

no need for a piss fight guys.

It is very simple, a click does not have competent enough parts like shocks, brakes, tires etc for a secure and nice ride more than 90 km. It is not designed for that!

But,m it does not mean you cannot do more that 90 km. I hired a click 125 before and it runs at 110 kmh no problems but you feel less secure and have to canalize more on the bike, need to be more careful and it is taxing your concentration and joy of riding at the end.