Taxi driver phrase "same same Thai"

MrZM

I used to go regularly to TukCom, from my apartment to there it costs 30 baht and vice versa.

Last month I went there and per usual i was charge 30 baht for the fare, when I was ready to leave, I went to the taxis outside Kasikorn Bank, the one is have already used, I asked for a taxi and to be sure ka amazed for the price in Thai, he replied "c sip baht" , I said to him no, it is "Sam sip baht", he then replied "no,no same same Thai" I walked away.

Tonight I walked to my local 7/11, having already ordered food, before I left, I wanted to get a taxi back so my food wasn't cold when I returned, (just to clarify I always pay 20 baht to the 7/11 on a taxi, 40 for a return). So I finished in 7/11 and asked for a taxi, as usual I asked for the price in Thai' he replied to me "Sam sip baht" I replied "yi sip baht" he said "no no, same same time Sam sip baht". I refused and said 20 baht he got on his bike and took me home.

The distance from the 7/11 to my room is like going from the top so Soi lengkee, going right, then going left on to LK metro.

Probably a rip off at 20 baht but that's the minimum.

What is this "same same Thai"?

Most of the time I prefer to walk so don't have to deal with the motocy taxi guys smile.png

But of course there are good ones as well. When I find a driver I like and get along with, I get their number and call them when I need a ride smile.png

Soi you take a moto taxi for a 5 minute walk :rolleyes: You really adopted the Thai way of life :P

Same same Thai is just the usual farang extortion bullshit but they would pull it also on bargirls and other thais who spend money freely

• Like 1

I can understand why;

Theres not so many people going around just now so less customers.

Day to day living costs have gone up a little.

Perhaprs the one thing people keep missing on these discussions is that the taxi guys are in a que, so to take a 20 Baht fare and then retuern to the back of the taxi que is not really of interest to them.

Me personally, I set a budget for what I think the taxi ride will be, I never ask them how much but rather tell them a price and ask if okay, maybe a little bit of fun haggeling, if it doesn't work out then I just say no thanks and walk on. There is always more smaller groups of taxis along the road who will be happy to take you.