Want the truth about Thailand? Look abroad

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult subject indeed and I'm sure we will all form our personal opinions on every aspects.

I would suggest however that in many countries an admission that all the messages were part of a planned operation would devalue them but given the subject perhaps not so in Thailand.

Well done, Simon43, I doubt there will be many replies to this topic for the obvious reason, but it is a classic example of an internal reluctance to rock the establishment boat even when with the increased used of the internet and social media the 'sheeple' can gain more from overseas that they ever could at home. As for a 'cyber unit' sending out 13,00+ messages a day on ANY subject - words fail me!

I'm afraid that now foreigners too will face "justice" and the "rule of law" so that the Thai ambassador to the U.N. and his cronies can the keep playing field fair. Wouldn't want foreigners having any unfair advantages now, would we?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now that this information is public, what next?

It seems strange to publicize such activity - even when you take in to account the wacky, wacky world of Thai (military) politics.

I wonder if the government and army expect Thai people to be more cautious about what they post on the internet and toe the (Big Brother) party line?

Of course, the authorities have probably overlooked the fact that, despite this form of mass propaganda and pathetic attempt at defining and moulding the Thai psyche, people still have the capacity to think for themselves.

The assumption that everyone in Thailand subscribes to the 'calm surface of consensus and acceptance of the status quo' is, rightly, very flawed.

They don't.

Edited by arthurboy

One advantage of having an electorate with little or no lingua franca skills is that they rarely if ever get to hear criticism of their government from abroad.

Not so dumb after all!

This is a great point. Leaving aside the rather delicate subject of the main thread it is quite common in countries where the government is dictatorial or at least very heavy handed the foreign media is the only way objective news and comment can be obtained. The government has made it clear they will control the local internet when necessary and I doubt local news outlets will start covering too much criticism carried by the foreign press, TV etc.

If reports from correspondents based in Thailand start to annoy will the government react ? I can recall when Mr. T was in the chair he expelled two reporters from Asiaweek and I think it was about the monarchy but am very happy to be corrected.

The unit, based in Narathiwat province, stated on its website that it

has posted 1.69 million messages in the four-month period between June

and September last year.

I'm sorry?? There is an army unit whose job is to post thousands of messages daily in praise of HM King?

At first I thought that this story was from 'Not The Nation'

Although I'm treading on delicate ground with my comments, it should be noted that HM King has personally stated that He is not above criticism. Clearly, the vast majority of Thais (and many foreigners, including myself), love HM King.

A democracy allows others to dissent.

Anyway, this is a difficult subject to discuss, but I think it is ludicrous to employ army personal to post pro-monarchy messages all day.

Simon

The CIA has similar units. So does the PLA, Mossad, FSB . . . etc.

and September last year.

I'm sorry?? There is an army unit whose job is to post thousands of messages daily in praise of HM King?

Although I'm treading on delicate ground with my comments, it should be noted that HM King has personally stated that He is not above criticism. Clearly, the vast majority of Thais (and many foreigners, including myself), love HM King.

Anyway, this is a difficult subject to discuss, but I think it is ludicrous to employ army personal to post pro-monarchy messages all day.

Simon

Not a list any real government would want to be in. Like others i think this is completely crazy, but even in my home country it seems you can't really protest against the king as you are then taken of the street. Later you get an apology but it is class justice not good in my opinion. Just because someone is born to a certain family does not make them good or bad, they have to prove that themselves.

• Like 1

"There's something wrong with a society where foreigners are at greater liberty to talk about the problems of that society than locals, where debates and arguments on virtual reality tells us more about the truth of that society."

Very true, time that Thai people realise this. Time for courageous citizens to speak up. Sadly a very rare species in the Land of Cowards.

and September last year.

Simon

The Voice of America radio station in Nong Khai was always joked about by foreigners as being a CIA operation but years ago the name was changed to Radio Free Asia or something similar. I have no idea if the message it broadcasts has changed also.

"There's something wrong with a society where foreigners are at greater liberty to talk about the problems of that society than locals, where debates and arguments on virtual reality tells us more about the truth of that society."

Very true, time that Thai people realise this. Time for courageous citizens to speak up. Sadly a very rare species in the Land of Cowards.

Why don't you speak up and set an example for them?

• Like 1

and September last year. That's an average of 13,927 postings per day.
Many of the postings were made under different aliases to appear as if
they were part of a coordinated and systemic intervention - and it was
not the only unit in the Army doing this.

Alternatively

Anti-Thaksin TVF members posted 1.69 million messages in the four-month period between June
and September last year. That's an average of 13,927 postings per day.
Many of the postings were made under different aliases to appear as if
they were part of a coordinated and systemic intervention - and it was
not the only The Nation doing this.

Well I am not saying lese majeste laws are good or bad.

But

In the only other government I am familiar with the USA they could have there place. Not saying that they are good but with those laws in place it would force the opposition into working for the good of the country rather than exert their efforts looking for scandals.

The really good actually great part about it is it would force Fox news to look for news.

Pasting these messages where?

One would assume newsgroups, forums etc where news and the monarchy is discussed as well as Facebook and Youtube.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And where exactly would these websites be on the web, in Thailand where people actively discuss the monarchy? They are all largely blocked. I have a feeling that these guys have been talking to themselves. Do you really believe that they spam sites discussing royalty, 13000 times a day?

I think, from what I know, that HM King is a pretty down to earth nice man. I think he would not mind criticism if it were intelligent. The only thing that makes me feel frustrated for him is that being a king does not leave one the time that is necessary to sit down and have a fireside chat with every single person who has a gripe against you; moreover when you are a leader and have many duties to fulfill on a daily basis. Additionally, I don;t think there is anyone out there who would not be upset by ankle biters and idiots who say things simply to get attention, whether those things are true, half true or false.

If the criticism is constructive, then perhaps it would be less counterproductive for these rangers to discuss the antagonist's views with the intention of calming them, rather than bloating the Internet with diatribe and mantras that you can pick up for free at any tourist center, and subsequently inciting further ignorant rants against a pretty decent man.

In summary, I think the rangers do more harm than good.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

time for all those webmasters, bloggers, to learn about IP filtering... all those messages, from one base unit or place, must have a common route ip addrress

easy to block the whole range or subnet, not ?

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, no need, thainess

As you can read in the article my homecountry did exactly that and the whole complex of the monarchy and the lese majeste laws must be solved by the Thais themselves. It is their country and their head of state. And I will speak up here as long as it concerns me or my family. But that a foreigner will make a change in Thai politic belongs to the fairytale section.

One advantage of having an electorate with little or no lingua franca skills is that they rarely if ever get to hear criticism of their government from abroad.

Not so dumb after all!

If reports from correspondents based in Thailand start to annoy will the government react ? I can recall when Mr. T was in the chair he expelled two reporters from Asiaweek and I think it was about the monarchy but am very happy to be corrected.

It was Far Eastern Economic Review (FEER) from memory that Thaksin attempted to kick out two journalists I believe this quote from the Nation sums it up:

"Thaksin said his government did not have to explain to the US the Thai police decision to expel two foreign journalists from the Far Eastern Economic Review (FEER) on grounds that their article threatened Thailand's national security. Thaksin also reiterated that the government had not been involved in the police decision to take action against the FEER journalists. US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said yesterday in Washington that US ambassador to Thailand Darryl Johnson had raised the issue of the threat to deport the foreign journalists, one of whom is an American, in a meeting in Bangkok with Thaksin last Friday. Thai police blacklisted the FEER journalists following a column in the January 10 edition reporting tension between the prime minister and the Royal Palace. "We are concerned about the prospect that Thailand may bar certain journalists from working in or entering the country for publishing reports that were critical of the government," Boucher said. On Friday FEER's Bangkok bureau chief Shawn Crispin, 33, an American citizen, and correspondent Rodney Tasker, 56, a British national, appealed the police order that asked them to leave the country. Police said their working visas had already been revoked. The order has sparked an outcry from local and foreign media as well as non-government groups over press freedom. Several Thai senators also said the move destroyed the country's reputation as a strong supporter of free speech. Thai police have called on the magazine to either apologise or correct the article to prevent the two journalists being expelled. In a telephone interview with The Nation yesterday, FEER editor Michael Vatikiotis said he was willing to apologise or correct any errors if Thai authorities explicitly indicated what the publication had done wrong. "There have been no specifics from the government on why it is a threat, and most of what we have learned came from media reports and a single letter from the police," he said."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-hits-back-at-US-concern-56248.html

• Like 1

As you can read in the article my homecountry did exactly that and the whole complex of the monarchy and the lese majeste laws must be solved by the Thais themselves. It is their country and their head of state. And I will speak up here as long as it concerns me or my family. But that a foreigner will make a change in Thai politic belongs to the fairytale section.

Does that include dual nationals? Rather ironic.