Scam attempt at PTT station

mania

This is something that happens not just in Thailand as I have seen it in the USA too

But this morning I stopped at the PTT station down the road behind Big C Extra

This is a road that leads into Payap University.

Burmese workers, I told the boy in Thai 1000 baht diesel

He went & was putting it in. Normally I don't watch but today by chance I turned around to look

at the meter while he pumped as I wondered if the price per liter has changed.

I see him stopping at 800 baht. I thought odd as I know my truck will take the 1000

as I had only a quarter tank left. He comes to the window & I say to him in Thai

"Oh cannot fit 1000 baht only 800 baht"?

He tells me in Thai oh I put in twice once 200 baht then 800 baht.

I told him again in Thai no way you did not fill twice you filled once & only 800 baht & I point at the meter.

He argues with me that he did pump it twice once 200 & once 800

Now since I do not know how to speak angrily in Thai much I say BS+++ get the manager in half English half Thai smile.png

He says ok & leaves...comes right back with 200 baht & says here here in Thai.

I thought about getting out of the truck & going to talk with the manager but just took the 200 & drove off

making a mental note of this guys face.

I was a bit surprised as 1- I did not think this happened here & 2- did not think the migrant workers would

think of this scam & be able to pull it off because they need to pull their loot from the daily money without being noticed.

If someone like me pays with a 1000 note he has to be able to make the change between my truck & the main office.

Unless of course the whole gang is in on it?

Anyway just a heads up to keep an eye on the pump meter when buying more than a 100 baht for a scooter smile.png

That little rat was going to skim 20% fuel costs off me smile.png

Edited by mania

Yup, happens to me all the time, same thing, or else it's 1,350 and they bring back varying amounts of change that are not 1,650, usually the go for 150 baht and up.

1 time at Esso on the Super Highway the guy came from the store and handed me 230 baht, I gave him 2,000, I said WT_F's up with that, my car doesn't hold that much, I looked at the pump and it was only 1,260!

• Like 1

The other day I had a nice mistake myself. We got over 40 liters for 1,000 baht when taking some gas.

Seems they made a mistake with the price, the price at the actual pump said something like 22 baht a liter. Think they lost a lot of money that day.

• Like 1

I was scammed for 400 THB at the Caltex Station Mae Jo Road, years ago now. Paid for 500 THB and as I drove out saw that the gauge barely moved. Must have put 100 THB in. I went back to confront the Burmese girl who pumped the gas but she was already gone. Thought I saw her out of the corner of my eye across the street but she disappeared quickly. Now I always get out to watch.

• Like 1

Yes, I always get out and make sure they know I am watching carefully. But they still try short changing, as if I don't know the difference between 500 and 100 baht notes.

As others, I always get out and watch them.

• Like 1

Yes, I always get out and make sure they know I am watching carefully. But they still try short changing, as if I don't know the difference between 500 and 100 baht notes.

They must think it's a strange farang phenomena.......Thai's never get out. biggrin.png

I always drive the car that the pump counter is beside the passenger window, at the same time I have the tank cap in full view in my side mirror.

It happened not so long ago to me at a Pattaya Shell station, where they have diesel and V-power wich is about 3 Baht more.

I order the attendant to fill with diesel and see in the side morror he indeed graps the diesel pump handle. At the same time another attendant is standing in front of the car and he signals him to take the V-power handle. So he changes and as soon as he points it to the car I shout, with my side window open, " NO " in Thai but the one that was standing in front of the car previously pretends not to understand Thai language anymore.

So I jump out of the car and get to them in full fury, which make them finally stop pumping. At that time there is 120 Baht of V-power in the tank already.

I tell him in my best Thai that I clearly ordered Diesel and will not pay for what they pumped already. So they change to diesel, but at the end when I pay they give me back change and include the 120 Baht V-power.

I simply make them once again aware that I didn't order that and that they can call the police or I will, after which I get back the 120 Baht in seconds.

• Like 1

I was at an lpg station and was told 800 odd baht i pointed out politely thats impossible as i only have a 35 litre tank even when totally empty cant get more than 530b well he was abusive and demanded the 800b so i called the police after a few minutes he told me to go quickly and not bother with the police told him <deleted> ill wait thanks someone else came with a calculator muliplied 35 x14.76 and came up with 516 baht so i gave him the money (car was empty) so the price was right drove outside waited 15 minutes to see if the police turned up but they didnt .i now dont use this gas station anymore ..

• Like 1

I always drive the car that the pump counter is beside the passenger window, at the same time I have the tank cap in full view in my side mirror.

It happened not so long ago to me at a Pattaya Shell station, where they have diesel and V-power wich is about 3 Baht more.

I order the attendant to fill with diesel and see in the side morror he indeed graps the diesel pump handle. At the same time another attendant is standing in front of the car and he signals him to take the V-power handle. So he changes and as soon as he points it to the car I shout, with my side window open, " NO " in Thai but the one that was standing in front of the car previously pretends not to understand Thai language anymore.

So I jump out of the car and get to them in full fury, which make them finally stop pumping. At that time there is 120 Baht of V-power in the tank already.

I tell him in my best Thai that I clearly ordered Diesel and will not pay for what they pumped already. So they change to diesel, but at the end when I pay they give me back change and include the 120 Baht V-power.

I simply make them once again aware that I didn't order that and that they can call the police or I will, after which I get back the 120 Baht in seconds.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to get out of the car in the first place?

Considering you "So I jump out of the car and get to them in full fury"

Wow I am really surprised by the replies here

I guess I will have to keep an eye on it from now on.

I never would have expected so many to have had the same experience.

Luckily I usually ride a motorcycle or scooter so I am always right there

view wise. I dont use the truck much but from now on when I do & need fuel

I am going to be watching.

Thanks for all the tips

Wouldn't it have been easier just to get out of the car in the first place?

Considering you "So I jump out of the car and get to them in full fury"

Wouldn't it have been easier if they had pumped what I ordered ?

Diesel and V-power don't even sound remotely similar.

V power is gasoline

diesel is diesel.

Suprised your engine is still ok.

Actually they do have a Shell V Power Diesel

They always try to put that in my truck when I go to a shell.

But it does cost quite a bit more & I have always refused it.

I will say as much as I hate snake oil that it does make a difference in Gasohol 95

V power when used in small scooters like the Wave 125i

For some reason just burns cleaner/leaner & I do actually notice the difference.

But,,,I do not buy it regularly

Edited by mania

OK--here's another place to be wary of--the 'grotty', recently opened [ well only a couple of years ago] Petrol Station after PTT heading towards Hang Dong--about 1 Km after the Samoeng Cross Roads --again staffed by poorly paid Burmese kids, or Chao Khao, I'm not sure which since both speak something I can't understand.

I ordered "Diesel 500 Baht" and sat talking to my daughter in the car, then the Head-Honcho walks to the window to take my 500 baht note, I told him to slow down as the guy was still pumping the gas, so he shrugs and walks off--Somchai finishes putting the fuel in the car and comes to take my 500 baht note but, as I always do, I looked at the gauge and saw it read 300 Baht--asked him <deleted>, and he said he thought I wanted "Diesel 300 Baht", despite the other guy already coming to take the 500 Baht note in my hand just inside the window--he finally went back to the pump and added the extra 200 baht.

It could have been an honest mistake but, somehow, I don't think so.

V power is gasoline

diesel is diesel.

V Power is Gasoline? The engine would certainly be clean, that would be like adding 10 small bottles of engine cleaner wouldn't it,also diesel is a lubricant Hmmmmmmmm?

They must think it's a strange farang phenomena.......Thai's never get out. biggrin.png

Thais are obviously entertained by the advertising board they stick infront of you.

its of no interest to us, but checking the correct fuel goes in the tank.....IS !

V power is gasoline

diesel is diesel.

V-Power Diesel

225px-Audi_R10_1.JPG

magnify-clip.png

An Audi R10 TDI LMP race car, fueled on Shell V-Power Diesel

V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines,

to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine

protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.[5]

V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.

I wasn't aware of this scam. The 2 times filling story was already there if you should be suspicious and confronted him. Very good you took on the confrontation.thumbsup.gif

I feel I have been had a few times nowsad.png . Thanks for sharing this, OP.

V power is gasoline

diesel is diesel.

V-Power Diesel

n Audi R10 TDI LMP race car, fueled on Shell V-Power Diesel

V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines,

to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine

protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.[5]

V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.

So V-power doesn't have a higher octane level?

Edited by Dancealot

Well I am quite sure there is several different scams out there.

That being said several people talk like the attendant was not all there.

could not some of it be an honest mistake. The one thing I have noticed in Thailand is the Thai educated ones need a calculator to add two plus two.

But like uptheos says best to get out and watch them.

Well I am quite sure there is several different scams out there.

That being said several people talk like the attendant was not all there.

could not some of it be an honest mistake. The one thing I have noticed in Thailand is the Thai educated ones need a calculator to add two plus two.

But like uptheos says best to get out and watch them.

It's a sad reflection on all youth today that they need a calculator for the simplest of arithmetic calculations.When I pay my bills and watch them working the calculator (twice) then just tell them the change I expect, they are amazed that I can work that out in my head. Sad, very sad ..

Edited by AliBali