Rattanaburi (ish) Surin

RattaRooney

Hi All

I have just moved here from the UK. Usual sort of story.

I love the place to bits but it is dead quiet. I have a small motorbike and I have been into town, I live a bit outside. I say town but....bloodyhell there is nothing there. I could see two 7/11 shops and a CP shop.

There is a nice street market in the evenings that I like, I do like to eat local food, but where is there anything else?

Cheers

My wife tells me there is a small Tesco there as well! But for anything more exotic seems its a long ride to Surin or Sisaket for you. We (more accurately, she) have/has a house nearby in Nong Luang where I intend to retire to when I am immobile and lost the will to live.

I'm just across the river Moon but in Roi Et province. Rattanaburi is not far across the river. There is a resort there when the river is low. There are a number of falangs in Pon Sai but they tend to come and go.

Cheers

Mike

Bout right about Rattanaburi. I just been there for the afternoon. Surin is bigger and busier but there are a few farang places in Sisaket too. As said previously, Roi Et is also a nice place to "get away" too.

Mate i just spent the last two weeks in rattanaburi....my wife is from a village near bye.....there is an aussie that teaches at the high school and apart from that the only other farang i saw was at chom Dow resort where we were staying...i didn't get a chance to have a chat with him so not sure ....the nearest place is also sisaket....you head out of rattanaburi towards ban maung mak take a left and its about 45mins to sisaket......its going to be a fun learning curve....if you have any specific questions pm me and i can ask the wife.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bout right about Rattanaburi. I just been there for the afternoon. Surin is bigger and busier but there are a few farang places in Sisaket too. As said previously, Roi Et is also a nice place to "get away" too.

I don't really what to "get away". I was just thinking of getting some provisions and maybe a bit of English grub to bring home.

I actually like the quaintness of it up here. I love the local food but every now and then it would be nice to have something else.

I will need to get some visa stuff sorted next week. That means Kap Cheong, doesn't it? Maybe I can get through Surin on the way or way back. Probably on the way back as I will be looking for food to take home.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I don't really what to "get away". I was just thinking of getting some provisions and maybe a bit of English grub to bring home.

I actually like the quaintness of it up here. I love the local food but every now and then it would be nice to have something else.

I will need to get some visa stuff sorted next week. That means Kap Cheong, doesn't it? Maybe I can get through Surin on the way or way back. Probably on the way back as I will be looking for food to take home.

Thanks again.

'Livin in the Past' in Sisaket is small friendly bar which both sells and serves some fine English grub from 2 of the leading food suppliers around these parts.

'Pop In' restaurant also in Sisaket sell English/western & Thai food.

Maybe check the FB pages.

Thanks again.

Kap Choeng it is and Staffords Food in Prasat and Norby's in Surin for take home. http://nnrestaurant.de.tl/ http://www.staffordsfoodsthailand.com/ you may wont a car to carry an ice box for all the goodies.

• Like 1

Thanks again.

'Livin in the Past' in Sisaket is small friendly bar which both sells and serves some fine English grub from 2 of the leading food suppliers around these parts.

'Pop In' restaurant also in Sisaket sell English/western & Thai food.

Maybe check the FB pages.

Thanks for that. Maybe for a day out, when I am not doing a visa. Sisaket looks like the other way. I only have a motorbike. I will have to look at travel arrangements.

Thanks again.

Kap Choeng it is and Staffords Food in Prasat and Norby's in Surin for take home. http://nnrestaurant.de.tl/ http://www.staffordsfoodsthailand.com/ you may wont a car to carry an ice box for all the goodies.

Thanks for that. I had already heard of Staffords. I don't understand why he doesn't keep prices on his web site though. Also not sure if I can stop off at Prasat. I will be traveling by bus so it looks like I can only stop in Surin. Then, so my wife tells me I can get a minibus to Rattanaburi.

Thanks for that. I had already heard of Staffords. I don't understand why he doesn't keep prices on his web site though. Also not sure if I can stop off at Prasat. I will be traveling by bus so it looks like I can only stop in Surin. Then, so my wife tells me I can get a minibus to Rattanaburi.

Very good quality pies/ruby's/pizza's and Staffords are one of the 2 good suppliers available in the place I mentioned previously. The other being 'The Buriram Pieman'

Sisaket is a bit of a long ride away but do-able and nearly one road all the way (50k) Surin is 70k, Prasat is about 90k(all approx.), from you.

Edited by DILLIGAD

HI

I've been using the Buri Ram Pie man for the last year, and have had no problems. He has a wide menu which I hav'nt exhausted yey.

You should be able to find him on the internet as he has his own web site. Not sure if I ca put the address on here.

Cheers

Mike (across the river in Roi Et)

HI

I've been using the Buri Ram Pie man for the last year, and have had no problems. He has a wide menu which I hav'nt exhausted yey.

You should be able to find him on the internet as he has his own web site. Not sure if I ca put the address on here.

Cheers

http://www.burirampieman.com/

and

http://nookiesdelights.3baht.net/

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

HI

Cheers

I have just checked a map. Buriram is about 120kms. How often do you go there?

HI

Cheers

He also delivers to Surin (Frang Connection) and Sisaket (already mentioned above)

HI

Cheers

He also delivers to Surin (Frang Connection) and Sisaket (already mentioned above)

I have been using the Pieman for ages now. I moved to Korat for a while a year or so back. I still ordered from him and he sent the order over on the bus, all wrapped up in a foam box. I just paid the money into his wife's bank account. Easy.

HI

Cheers

Never been there . Never met him. But he has always been reliable. If you phone him he is easy to talk to and knows the buses.

I send the money through the Post Office and have never had a problem. Could do it through the ATM but tried and failed! Probably too old for this, and anyway I use the Post Office a lot and want to support them. In the UK they are almost extinct but her they are a life line.

Cheers Mike

HI

Cheers

Never been there . Never met him. But he has always been reliable. If you phone him he is easy to talk to and knows the buses.

I send the money through the Post Office and have never had a problem. Could do it through the ATM but tried and failed! Probably too old for this, and anyway I use the Post Office a lot and want to support them. In the UK they are almost extinct but her they are a life line.

Cheers Mike

http://www.burirampieman.com/

HI

Cheers

Yes you can order from the pieman and have him deliver to the Farang Connection. They will keep the goods in the freezer for you to pick up or you can plan your trip to Surin on the same day the pieman delivers to the FC.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that. Maybe for a day out, when I am not doing a visa. Sisaket looks like the other way. I only have a motorbike. I will have to look at travel arrangements.

If you venture a short way towards Surin direction from Rattanaburi there is a small town called Sanom. It has a number of English farangs living there who use the same method of transport as you, but club together to get driven into Prasat/Surin for provisions even 2 weeks or so.

Just a thought?

If you venture a short way towards Surin direction from Rattanaburi there is a small town called Sanom. It has a number of English farangs living there who use the same method of transport as you, but club together to get driven into Prasat/Surin for provisions even 2 weeks or so.

Just a thought?

Thanks, I will look into it.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Looks like a trip to Surin. I went there on my first visit to Surin a few moons ago. I stayed in a hotel in the bus station area and had a beer in the place around the corner.

Tell us:

Have you already made commitments as far as buying land, house etc.? If not, you may want to postpone it for a while and look around for a few months. Life for a Farang is not that easy, if one has to drive 70 Km to find some Farang company just to have some (english) conversation, while drinking a couple of beers.

Cheers.

Tell us:

Have you already made commitments as far as buying land, house etc.? If not, you may want to postpone it for a while and look around for a few months. Life for a Farang is not that easy, if one has to drive 70 Km to find some Farang company just to have some (english) conversation, while drinking a couple of beers.

Cheers.

Agreed, plus he uses bus or scooter for the 70km's!!!!!.

I suppose its 'horses for courses' but I think I would go stir crazy (If I haven't already!)

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Looks like a trip to Surin. I went there on my first visit to Surin a few moons ago. I stayed in a hotel in the bus station area and had a beer in the place around the corner.

Tell us:

Cheers.

I said in a previous post that I didn't feel the need to get away from where I am. I just wanted to know what what was available. I will probably on go into either Sissaket or Surin once a month or so. That is plenty. No need for English conversation. I can converse a little in Thai so no problem.

I have already made a commitment. I married my wife and we agreed to live in her home town.

Edited by RattaRooney

I said in a previous post that I didn't feel the need to get away from where I am. I just wanted to know what what was available. I will probably on go into either Sissaket or Surin once a month or so. That is plenty. No need for English conversation. I can converse a little in Thai so no problem.

I have already made a commitment. I married my wife and we agreed to live in her home town.

Good luck to you both. There are minibuses that go to both places daily from Ratta, so you are lucky in that respect.

BTW The Jay Paar restaurant in Ratta is good. Worth a try!